cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal Sensor Cable

lawrencewilliam
Level 10

I have a Rog Strix  z790-E Gaming WiFi ii
It has a Thermal Sensor Cable, 2 pin header, T-Sensor with ground and sensor in.

I have 3 tempurature sensors from a Gigabyte board that are 2 pin and fit the header, would these work please?
And how do I know which is the ground and sensor-in? One side of the connector has an arrowHead marked on it, would that be it?

There are markings on it - WST 4 on one side (with the arrow) and K6N on the other

Link to picture: https://imgur.com/a/f2MKAFz

ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, Cooler Master HAF 700 Case, i-9 14900K, 64Gb Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 6400MHz, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC , Alphacool Core 1 block, EISBECHER AURORA D5 VPP655, 2 x NEXXXOS HPE-45 360MM Radiator, Corsair AX1600i PSU, Noctua iPPC FANS
Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Oh I see, well it depends on what temperature readouts you have already. HWInfo will provide CPU and GPU temp, you will also probably have a readout for motherboard temperature. I find that one useful, because I use it to control the speed of my case fans. In turn, they help to keep the PCH chipset cooler. 

I don't have the need for any thermocouples myself as my AIO software also provides coolant temperature. Even your drives will give temperature info, again through HWInfo (and other software), as will the RAM and PCH chipset. So where would you place it? Well, maybe you could monitor something like another device that you might have?  Or just place it somewhere else of interest, but I'm struggling to think of a genuine need for an extra thermocouple in typical modern systems. Maybe if you have a PCIe card that runs hot, it could be interesting there for example. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JohnAb
Level 17

There are different types of thermocouple depending on the materials that are used (that determine the temperature range), but I'd be very surprised if Asus and Gigabyte use different types. 

Even if you used the wrong type, you'd just get the wrong temperature, wouldn't do any harm.

Regarding polarity, yes, it does matter. If connected the wrong way around then you'd get the wrong temperature again, but no damage. So connect the Asus one and check the temperature with something else to see if it's correct. If wrong, reverse the header. Then try the Gigabyte sensors. If they give the same reading, they are of the same type and will be fine. If not, try reversing them. If they just won't give the correct temperature, then they are of a different type and no good for your board. 

I imagine that the arrow will go to the left hand pin as you look at the motherboard. That often seems to be the convention for things, like 12V RGB headers for example (on my Asus board at any rate). Otherwise, one pin might have a dot next to it. If no markings, just try it. Like I said, you won't damage anything. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Ah, apologies, I didn't make myself clear. Surprisingly, the Asus board came with no actual sensor cables and only the one header. So I have nothing to compare it to.

I presume that Asus sell them separately, but no idea where. 

Which area would be the best to monitor please? 

ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, Cooler Master HAF 700 Case, i-9 14900K, 64Gb Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 6400MHz, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC , Alphacool Core 1 block, EISBECHER AURORA D5 VPP655, 2 x NEXXXOS HPE-45 360MM Radiator, Corsair AX1600i PSU, Noctua iPPC FANS

Oh I see, well it depends on what temperature readouts you have already. HWInfo will provide CPU and GPU temp, you will also probably have a readout for motherboard temperature. I find that one useful, because I use it to control the speed of my case fans. In turn, they help to keep the PCH chipset cooler. 

I don't have the need for any thermocouples myself as my AIO software also provides coolant temperature. Even your drives will give temperature info, again through HWInfo (and other software), as will the RAM and PCH chipset. So where would you place it? Well, maybe you could monitor something like another device that you might have?  Or just place it somewhere else of interest, but I'm struggling to think of a genuine need for an extra thermocouple in typical modern systems. Maybe if you have a PCIe card that runs hot, it could be interesting there for example. 

Yes, I didn't realise that motherboards now had so many tempurature sensors built in to them.
As you say, little point in adding one for no real reason
Thanks!