cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Gaming A and 12900K Gaming FPS tanks momentarily and stutters

Adrian1983
Level 11
Hi Guy's

I am experiencing a weird issue with my setup that I have not noticed previously although in saying that I have only started to come around and actually start gaming on the setup after finally tweaking everything and reinstalling Windows 11 a couple of times.

Ok I am on the Strix Z690 Gaming A paired with a 12900K, 32gb Crucial ( 2 x 16GB ) DDR 4 3600 Ram and an RTX 3080 with Windows 11

I am getting a weird issue where most games but not all after playing for a spell sometimes the FPS tanks game starts stuttering and then recovers back to full performance with the exception of Ghost recon breakpoint using Vulkan it will suddenly drop FPS to in the 30's when I was getting over 80 in 4k and according to Afterburner when it does that the GPU usage is pinned at 99% like it's maxing out the GPU but I know for a fact it isn't because the power reading is only reading 190-220W on my 3080 when it can use over 330w so why is afterburner saying the GPU is at 99% and yet the power reading tells a different story?

Never had an issue with this GPU on my previous setup and I still don't believe there is anything wrong with it as it consumes it's full wattage when stress testing as normal.

I have heard of a few people having a similar issue with Windows 11 but no remedy.

It's not the PSU as I have tried another GPU to test and it's only 2 years old anyway a Seasonic focus gold 850W.

I don't want to install Windows 10 for the sake of it just to confirm it is the OS or a bug in Nvidia's latest 5x series drivers maybe?

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

ridethewhirlwin
Level 7
I've noticed the stuttering as well early on with my 12900K build on Windows 10.

After I disabled e-cores and straight-away this addressed my stuttering issues in BF2042 and Apex Legends.

Not saying this will fix your stuttering issues but worth mentioning.

ridethewhirlwinds wrote:
I've noticed the stuttering as well early on with my 12900K build on Windows 10.

After I disabled e-cores and straight-away this addressed my stuttering issues in BF2042 and Apex Legends.

Not saying this will fix your stuttering issues but worth mentioning.

Funny you should mention about the E Cores interfering that is something I was getting around to trying and it did cross my mind I am going to try it when I get round to it thanks.

Deke06
Level 7
Sounds like your GPU is thermal throttling if you're seeing power consumption drops that temporally correlate with fps loss.

Have you tried running HWiNFO64 and logging the data, specifically looking at the GPU hot spot temperature, core and memory speeds when the drops occur?

Deke06 wrote:
Sounds like your GPU is thermal throttling if you're seeing power consumption drops that temporally correlate with fps loss.

Have you tried running HWiNFO64 and logging the data, specifically looking at the GPU hot spot temperature, core and memory speeds when the drops occur?

Hey, No the GPU is not thermal throttling I've fan shroud modded and memory thermal paddded modded it it's rather cool to be honest gaming in 4k temps are only 40's when gaming in 4k and GPU temps 50-60's

I have actually come to the conclusion with some games as I game in 4k and especially in Breakpoint I notice it's using all 10GB Vram on this 3080 and now I am beginning to wonder some people were right initially that Nvidia have ****ed up with this GPU, When all Vram is Utilised and the software needs it it tanks performance and I am now certain this is what I am seeing.

I'll be doing more testing but I noticed instantly as soon as I backed off the resolution scaling or lowered a couple of graphical features in the game boom back to lower GPU usage and power reading higher this is imo now it's the Vram being choked causing it.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128159-Intel-Memory-Stress-Test

Is it still happening now? Stuttering may occur if Windows attempts to correct an error.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128159-Intel-Memory-Stress-Test

Is it still happening now? Stuttering may occur if Windows attempts to correct an error.

Hey Silent Scone,

Weirdly I could pass memtest pro for hours on end when I set this system up as I posted in the other thread however yes Intel XTU memory stress test completely froze my system within 5 mins of stress testing and then I bumped the DRAM voltage up a couple of notches and the stress test passed 2 hours now and also had a 2 hour gaming session of Breakpoint yesterday without a single hitch so I am beginning to think maybe the memory was causing the system to hitch every now and again when under load.

What is weird though is weeks ago when setting the system up I have done other stress tests like Google's GSAT which is renowned for picking up on CPU and memory errors returned 0 errors after 3 hours of testing, I have ran Cinebench stress for 4 hours and OCCT for 3 hours also previous to running Intel XTU, Maybe XTU is finding something different to the other tests which is new to me but so far so good.

I should add even when it was hitching there is never any errors reported in HWInfo at the bottom and nothing at all in Even log either so whatever was happening was not reporting any errors anywhere.