cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow windows 11 boot on restart (Z690 Hero + i9 12900k + G.Skill 5600 RAM)

Shinigami1
Level 7
Hello,

whenever I restart my computer, it takes quite long to load into windows 11 (I would say about 20 seconds) so that I can type in my passwort and get to the desktop. This is not the case if I shut down the system because fast start/hibernate is enabled and the PC instantly boots up that way. I fresh installed windows 11 when I bought the new components (title) so I have no idea what causes this. With my old system (i7 7700k + IX Hero) this was not the case and I instantly booted into windows 10 with no delays even on restart. Could it be a windows 11 thing or is it bios related? Is there anyone else having a similar problem? I know its not that big of a deal but I do want to figure out why this happens. One thing I noticed is that my keyboard lighting is off during the entire loading proccess. When the light on the keyboard turns on the loading is finished at the same time. But its not the keyboard, I already tried without it being connected.

EDIT: Windows is installed on a Samsung 970 Pro NVME drive.

GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G5

This is basically what I see when I mean loading for 20seconds, except instead of the windows logo its the asus ROG logo:

7 REPLIES 7

RavenMaster
Level 7
What power supply and GPU are you using?

PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G5 and GPU is EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW 3 Ultra Gaming.

Banditt1976
Level 8
Shinigami1 wrote:
PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G5 and GPU is EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW 3 Ultra Gaming.

It sounds like it’s actually hanging on the POST test if it’s the ROG logo and not the Windows logo during this period. Go into the UEFI/BIOS settings and turn off the splash screen on startup in the Boot settings so you can confirm where it is actually hanging. I had an issue similar to this in a previous system that turned out to be a bad or incompatible USB connection that went from the motherboard to the front panel USB 3.2 ports.

I fixed it! It was the Realtek USB Audio driver that caused the issue for me. Ever since I uninstalled it, windows starts up normally. Hopefully this will help people in the future.

I've always hated on-board audio. Every time I gave it a chance, it disappointed me. This build was a record 6.5 years since my previous build, so I thought maybe the audio components had made some advances that warranted another try. Nope. I had this slow boot problem, too, with identical equipment (except the GPU is a 3070ti). Today a Creative Sound Blaster card arrives in the mail, and I can say goodbye to slow boot and crappy onboard audio. It's not JUST the hardware. The software sound tool that comes with the mobo is low-effort and feature-poor. Creative's stuff is far more customizable and feature-rich.

See ya, Realtek. Audiophiles like me still like the dedicated audio. Check you again in 6-7 years...

ighnot wrote:
I've always hated on-board audio. Every time I gave it a chance, it disappointed me. This build was a record 6.5 years since my previous build, so I thought maybe the audio components had made some advances that warranted another try. Nope. I had this slow boot problem, too, with identical equipment (except the GPU is a 3070ti). Today a Creative Sound Blaster card arrives in the mail, and I can say goodbye to slow boot and crappy onboard audio. It's not JUST the hardware. The software sound tool that comes with the mobo is low-effort and feature-poor. Creative's stuff is far more customizable and feature-rich.

See ya, Realtek. Audiophiles like me still like the dedicated audio. Check you again in 6-7 years...

OMG! I hope you are right!

I just build a new super system! Z790 Maximus and 13900K, 4090, 32gb DDR5-6600mhz and last week here I have been complaining to my son saying isnt this amazing- I got litterly the fastest hardware on the market and my Windows 11 boot is soo slow! His old pc boot faster lol ..

For my new build I also bought a 30th anniversary Creative AE-9 Premium. Unfortunately it was DOA and needed to be sent to RMA. SO..... Now while I wait I have been using the onboard Realtek and now when I read your solution I remember some weeks ago when the PC was build it was super fast. But it could actually have become slow boot the day I took the AE-9 out and turned to onboard which I HATE! The sound is SO dull and its just a world of difference between these Creative cards like AE-5, AE-7 and the king AE-9. EVERY time I play some music or a game I instantly think it just suck! haha.. I have dedicated SoundBlaster for 25 years.... So for my new super system I wanted the best- AE-9. It has a superior class leading DAC. But there was a hardware fault with it. Electrical noise came out and no output of the analogs. I have never seen that before. TOSLINK digital worked? very strange! But thats just my luck as always.

But back to the point lol .. I will try ASAP right now to uninstall the software and drivers and see if thats it! It will take 2-3 weeks more I think before I get my AE-9 back which is really in a class of its own haha... But then at least I know what the culprint. I even considered to do a complete reinstall and luckily I got away from that idea. Ill try to uninstall right now!

Shinigami1 wrote:
I fixed it! It was the Realtek USB Audio driver that caused the issue for me. Ever since I uninstalled it, windows starts up normally. Hopefully this will help people in the future.

OMG! I hope you are right!

I just build a new super system! Z790 Maximus and 13900K, 4090, 32gb DDR5-6600mhz and last week here I have been complaining to my son saying isnt this amazing- I got litterly the fastest hardware on the market and my Windows 11 boot is soo slow! His old pc boot faster lol ..

For my new build I also bought a 30th anniversary Creative AE-9 Premium. Unfortunately it was DOA and needed to be sent to RMA. SO..... Now while I wait I have been using the onboard Realtek and now when I read your solution I remember some weeks ago when the PC was build it was super fast. But it could actually have become slow boot the day I took the AE-9 out and turned to onboard which I HATE! The sound is SO dull and its just a world of difference between these Creative cards like AE-5, AE-7 and the king AE-9. EVERY time I play some music or a game I instantly think it just suck! haha.. I have dedicated SoundBlaster for 25 years.... So for my new super system I wanted the best- AE-9. It has a superior class leading DAC. But there was a hardware fault with it. Electrical noise came out and no output of the analogs. I have never seen that before. TOSLINK digital worked? very strange! But thats just my luck as always.

But back to the point lol .. I will try ASAP right now to uninstall the software and drivers and see if thats it! It will take 2-3 weeks more I think before I get my AE-9 back which is really in a class of its own haha... But then at least I know what the culprint. I even considered to do a complete reinstall and luckily I got away from that idea. Ill try to uninstall right now!