cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure boot options

robb543
Level 7
For secure boot do you guys use standard or custom? Is there any advantage to custom over standard and if so does it make sense to clear the boot keys / reset on a new install?
3 REPLIES 3

Jesseinsf
Level 10
Standard is for Windows and custom would include other OS support which is configurable on many motherboards.

Jesseinsf wrote:
Standard is for Windows and custom would include other OS support which is configurable on many motherboards.

Ok so if I'm only running windows it sounds like the safest / secure bet it to just go standard then. I figured that was the case but the clarification is nice thanks! Do I have to clear keys /load default keys on custom before switching to standard or is just flipping the switch fine?

JohnAb
Level 17
There should be no need to clear any keys, just set to standard and you're good to go. If you ever need to boot into another OS like Linux (which includes boot USBs for some recovery software) then you might need to set it back to custom so that you can do that. Otherwise, just leave it set to standard boot 🙂
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.