cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 990 Pro Not Supported? (Z790 Creator)

rmr
Level 7

Hey there,

I had ordered some Samsung 990 Pros for my new Z790 Creator build, I had just happened to come across the drive QVL when looking at the memory QVL,

I see that there are no 990 support listed, and also no 2tb support for Samsung drives.

Is this because of the Samsung issues, ASUS didn't want to list them, or are they actually not supported/won't work? Why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Saltgrass
Level 13

I have a 2 TB 990 Pro running on my Z790 Hero.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Drayco31
Level 11

Relatively new drive and Asus hasn't tested it. I have a Z690 board and it doesn't have the smaller 250gb 980 Pro I use as OS drive on the QVL. Don't think it had the 2TB 980 Pro I also have on the QVL either. Both drives have worked fine for over a year. I also upgraded to 32Gb (16GBx2) DDR4 a while ago and that kit isn't on the QVL either.

Therte are so many different Ram kits and drives comming out all the time. Motherboard manufacturer kinda stopp testing newer hardware at a certain point after a board was released.

I highly doubt you'll have any issue using a drive not on the QVL

Murph_9000
Level 14

Drives from major storage brands are much less of a risk than RAM when it comes to the QVL.  They use highly standardised interfaces, so mostly just work.  While it's good to have QVL hardware, I personally wouldn't let that dictate my choice of storage devices.

Overclocked RAM, on the other hand, that's extremely complex, between the variations in CPU memory controller, board, and the DIMMs.  The QVL can save or reduce an awful lot of pain there.

Saltgrass
Level 13

I have a 2 TB 990 Pro running on my Z790 Hero.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

rmr
Level 7

Thanks everyone