cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolling back bios on TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4

jamieboo
Level 9
Hello folks

After the separately mentioned issue of bios 1504 somehow throttling my 12700K, I'm thinking of rolling back to 1304 - which was actually working pretty well for me.
I don't think I've ever rolled back a bios before.
Is it safe?
What is the safest method to do this?

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Zardoc
Level 10
jamieboo wrote:
Hello folks

After the separately mentioned issue of bios 1504 somehow throttling my 12700K, I'm thinking of rolling back to 1304 - which was actually working pretty well for me.
I don't think I've ever rolled back a bios before.
Is it safe?
What is the safest method to do this?

Thanks

Yes, Just use bios renamer and rename the bios. Then flash.

Thanks Zardoc

I'd noticed the BIOSRenamer.exe in the folder but never knew what it was all about.
So I just run the renamer, then go through the EZ Flash utility process like a normal update?
Why is the renaming necessary, as a matter of interest? What would happen if I tried to apply an older bios without renaming?

Thanks

ahfoo
Level 13
Please following the link below and down load the Bios 1304 to your computer. Extract to c drive. You shall see there is a .CAP file. Reboot your system to the BIOS page and use the SEZ update within the bios page. When prompt, select the file with .CAP and start the bios update. Once update done system will reboot and reset the bios to the default. Next, do all your setting over again and you are done.

That is the best way and it never failed me.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/TUF-GAMING-Z690-PLUS-WIFI-D4-ASUS-1304.ZIP

ahfoo wrote:
Please following the link below and down load the Bios 1304 to your computer. Extract to c drive. You shall see there is a .CAP file. Reboot your system to the BIOS page and use the SEZ update within the bios page. When prompt, select the file with .CAP and start the bios update. Once update done system will reboot and reset the bios to the default. Next, do all your setting over again and you are done.

That is the best way and it never failed me.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/TUF-GAMING-Z690-PLUS-WIFI-D4-ASUS-1304.ZIP

Thanks ahfoo

Just to be absolutely clear - you are NOT saying I should rename the bios?
And of course I still have to put the .CAP file onto a memory stick, right?

So generally, even though I'm downgrading the bios in this case, it's exactly the same process as upgrading?

Thanks

jamieboo wrote:
Thanks ahfoo

So generally, even though I'm downgrading the bios in this case, it's exactly the same process as upgrading?

Thanks

Hi,

I have the same board as you. I used renamer but you don't have to use it.
You only need to rename the bios file if using the bios flashback feature (which you don't have), if using ez flash you don't have to rename it.

I went from 1720 to 1504. I've rolled back bios many times without issues, so don't worry. It does not void your warranty either. 😮

jamieboo wrote:
Thanks ahfoo

Thanks

No need at all. Just point to your bios with a .CAP extension and the rest will handle by EZ bios. By the way I am having the exact MB as you for my FIL system.

Zardoc wrote:
Hi,

I have the same board as you. I used renamer but you don't have to use it.
You only need to rename the bios file if using the bios flashback feature (which you don't have), if using ez flash you don't have to rename it.

I went from 1720 to 1504. I've rolled back bios many times without issues, so don't worry. It does not void your warranty either. 😮

Thanks for clarifying Zardoc. So you haven't noticed your boosts being throttled in 1504? Showing as a number of Performance Limit Reasons in HWiNFO?

ahfoo wrote:
No need at all. Just point to your bios with a .CAP extension and the rest will handle by EZ bios. By the way I am having the exact MB as you for my FIL system.

Thank you ahfoo.
Ah you have the same MB! May I ask what bios you have found to be the best for the board?
Have you noticed the evidence of performance limiting in HWiNFO? And slightly throttled boost speeds with 1504?

Thanks

ahfoo
Level 13
The system was update to the latest 1702 and to be honest I dont really care about throttled boost speed. I am more concern about system stabilities 24/7. Slight throttle dont affect the performance much in real time usage. But hardcore enthusiast may feel it a short change on it during benchmark. But to me I am fine with it.

1702? I don't see that on the Asus Bios page. It still has the latest one as 1720 - but I gather there are issues with that one.

My main objective is to get DPC latency (and related issues) down. I measure using Latencymon.
I built my machine for audio production work but the latency is just too jumpy and that affects my work in Cubase - hence me trying different bios.