cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolling back bios on TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4

jamieboo
Level 9
Hello folks

After the separately mentioned issue of bios 1504 somehow throttling my 12700K, I'm thinking of rolling back to 1304 - which was actually working pretty well for me.
I don't think I've ever rolled back a bios before.
Is it safe?
What is the safest method to do this?

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

jamieboo wrote:
1702? I don't see that on the Asus Bios page. It still has the latest one as 1720 - but I gather there are issues with that one.

My main objective is to get DPC latency (and related issues) down. I measure using Latencymon.
I built my machine for audio production work but the latency is just too jumpy and that affects my work in Cubase - hence me trying different bios.

If your objective to stable DPC latency, just do not move away from the most stable bios which run flawless especially audio/video production. Rule of thumb for production house - if aint broke, dont fixed it. That my opinion.

ahfoo wrote:
If your objective to stable DPC latency, just do not move away from the most stable bios which run flawless especially audio/video production. Rule of thumb for production house - if aint broke, dont fixed it. That my opinion.

Thanks ahfoo
Exactly. When I find that stable bios that runs flawlessly I will certainly not move away from it. But I have to find it first! 🙂
1304, was barely adequate in terms of latency. 1504 is similar but with the addition of some kind of CPU/Cache limitation.
So, although I will for now go back to 1304 as the lesser of two evils, my quest continues!

jamieboo wrote:
Thanks ahfoo
Exactly. When I find that stable bios that runs flawlessly I will certainly not move away from it. But I have to find it first! 🙂
1304, was barely adequate in terms of latency. 1504 is similar but with the addition of some kind of CPU/Cache limitation.
So, although I will for now go back to 1304 as the lesser of two evils, my quest continues!

Glad to hear that. Welcome to the forums.

ahfoo wrote:
Glad to hear that. Welcome to the forums.

Thank you ahfoo!
So, considering by objective, do you have an opinion as to which bios might be most suited to my needs?

jamieboo wrote:
Thank you ahfoo!
So, considering by objective, do you have an opinion as to which bios might be most suited to my needs?

Dear friend, I hope I can help. But the system which I build for FIL may will not have the same system spec as your. There is very uncertain factor may arise contribute to different setting and opinion.

Within this forums, we can help each other to address issue or share common problems solution. But end of the day we do not have the same identical system spec, software and usage.

But one thing in common. As long your system running well with your usage and you can make used of it smoothly that can consider system well done. I never believed a perfect system. Computing hardware evolution changes in the fast speed. What made to a good system may appear a history tomorrow.

As long your Asus system having any issue, the member of this forums will pop up and help. Hope you understand.

Last but not least. It aint broke, dont fix it.

Thank you.

PS: By the way, I do have any negative in the latest BIOS version.

jamieboo wrote:
Thank you ahfoo!

jamieboo, as ahfoo mentioned, there are a lot of factors to consider. Windows version, driver version, compatibility with other software and the list goes on.
You have to compare apples with apples. There are a few sound enthusiasts in the forum. Maybe you could create a post regarding sound quality or do a search.

Usually, when I do a clean install, I will make an Macrium image of the system as soon as all drivers are installed. Then, I will try my most important software and other preferred programs right away before installing everything else. This will give me an idea if I'm satisfied with current set-up. If all goes well, then I will install the rest of my software.

Seldom (if not ever) have I heard that bios update will affect sound quality. In my case, I got rid of my ROG board because it had a USB sound chip which had terrible sound output on top of a boom on start. Some drivers made things a bit better but still I was not satisfied and changed the board.

In most cases, drivers will influence the quality of the material and it's reaction time.

Check this out!! Latency monitor :rolleyes:

Zardoc wrote:
jamieboo, as ahfoo mentioned, there are a lot of factors to consider. Windows version, driver version, compatibility with other software and the list goes on.
You have to compare apples with apples. There are a few sound enthusiasts in the forum. Maybe you could create a post regarding sound quality or do a search.

Usually, when I do a clean install, I will make an Macrium image of the system as soon as all drivers are installed. Then, I will try my most important software and other preferred programs right away before installing everything else. This will give me an idea if I'm satisfied with current set-up. If all goes well, then I will install the rest of my software.

Seldom (if not ever) have I heard that bios update will affect sound quality. In my case, I got rid of my ROG board because it had a USB sound chip which had terrible sound output on top of a boom on start. Some drivers made things a bit better but still I was not satisfied and changed the board.

In most cases, drivers will influence the quality of the material and it's reaction time.

Check this out!! Latency monitor :rolleyes:

Thank you Zardoc!
Yes, Latencymon is the program I mentioned. I've been using it to measure latency for yesrs.
And of course I'm not expecting bios to have a direct effect on sound quality. Especially as I have fully disabled onboard sound and use an external audio interface.
But bios updates can have an impact on dpc latency (which is a very significant factor for audio production).

Anyway, I now want to try to get to the root of why something is throttling my cpu/cache performance, as I think this may have something to do with the jumpy results in Latencymon.

Zardoc
Level 10

Zardoc wrote:
I think he meant 1720. Type O 😞

Thank you for correcting me, it a typo error. Haha maybe due to flu medication.