cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG z790 maximus bios 1801 problem

Traketo66
Level 8

Hi guys. I have a problem with my ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO motherboard. After updating BIOS 1402 to BIOS 1801, my PC stopped working. it stays on a black screen. Enter the BIOS in safe mode and the only thing I can do is remove my XMP profile from my memories and the problem is solved there. (Problem that I never had in BIOS previous to this one) well I did a rollback of the bios but that didn't solve anything since the Intel ME version was updated and I am 100% sure that that is the problem in my house since when updating my bios the intel ME was also updated and when I went back to the old version of BIOS I had. The Intel ME version did not change. Anyway, I don't know what is happening with ASUS. Before, they were a very solid company in their motherboards, now they don't have good control at the software level. I hope they solve this quickly, otherwise I will be forced to do an RMA, my card is not 2 years old since I bought it. If anyone has any information it would be very helpful. thx 

5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @Traketo66 

Sounds like you've answered your question. It's not uncommon for ME updates from Intel to have an impact on memory overclocking, it's one of the reasons nobody can make assurances for such things. What have you tried in terms of tuning the system subsequently?

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Traketo66
Level 8

Hello, thanks for answering. I will explain to you what I did exactly: download the latest bios for my motherboard, put it on a USB, update the BIOS without any problem, do its normal reboots after updating the bios. But windows never start with error code 31 Yellow LED. and there was a black screen. What I did next. It was going back to a previous version of BIOS, 1501. The same thing kept happening. Windows did not start, there was a black screen. Then I entered the BIOS and deactivated the XMP and everything worked, I started Windows but with the frequencies of my memories at 4200MHz. If I activate the XMP it remains on a black screen and the window does not start, something that previous BIOS versions have never had that problem. Then I tried to remove the XMP but with only 1 RAM and everything worked and I installed it one by one. until when you put the 4 ram The system crashes and remains on a black screen. It only works with 3 of my Rams with the XMP profile active. I am 100% sure that it is a problem with the BIOS because this has never happened to me before with the other versions of BIOS that I have had.

4 DIMMs? What's the memory kit part number, are you combining two kits?

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I have 4 DIMMs, they are all the same brand and the same latencies, obviously.

Traketo66
Level 8

@Silent_Scone  Sr. Would you be so kind as to provide me with a download link for the chipset driver for my Z790 ROG maximus HERO because the one on the manufacturer's page, which is yours, does not work for me thx