cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Z790 Hero mobo NVME slot population?

DaveImagery
Level 9

Just purchased this board, and I read the manual, but I'm still confused.  Can I populate all three NVME slots with Gen4 PCIE NVME drives, without cutting down the lanes to X8 for the GPU?  I know the top slot is meant for Gen 5  drives and it is connected directly to the cpu.  I have three Samsung 990 Pro drives I would like to install.  One as OS, one for games, and another as a scratch disk for editing.  Also is there any performance advantage to installing a Gen 4 NVME drive in the top slot, versus from the chipset slots?  Thanks everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nate152

Hello DaveImagery

Yes, you can populate all three M.2 slots with Gen 4 ssd's and still have your gpu run at x16.

Alderlake, Raptorlake and Raptorlake-R cpu's have 20 pcie 4.0 lanes or 16 pcie 5.0 lanes.

With your gpu in the first pcie x16 slot and a pcie 4.0 ssd in the M.2_1 slot, this will use all 20 pcie 4.0 lanes. The other two ssd's will run off the chipset.

The M.2_1 slot will always be a little faster because its 4 lanes are from the cpu.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nate152

Hello DaveImagery

Yes, you can populate all three M.2 slots with Gen 4 ssd's and still have your gpu run at x16.

Alderlake, Raptorlake and Raptorlake-R cpu's have 20 pcie 4.0 lanes or 16 pcie 5.0 lanes.

With your gpu in the first pcie x16 slot and a pcie 4.0 ssd in the M.2_1 slot, this will use all 20 pcie 4.0 lanes. The other two ssd's will run off the chipset.

The M.2_1 slot will always be a little faster because its 4 lanes are from the cpu.

DaveImagery
Level 9

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me.  Now I know how to better setup my system.