UPDATED 18/04/2023 SPECS

CPU: i9-13900K
Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI
RAM: Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6400 CL32-39-39-102 1.40V 32GB (2x16GB) Intel XMP
SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB
PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1300
GPU: RTX 4080 TUF GAMING 16GB
Cooler: Lian Li AIO Galahad 240

Hub: Controller Lian li L connect 3 (10x Lian Li SL120 Infinity)
Mouse: Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL Lightspeed
Webcam: Logitech Streamcam

This motherboard was replaced via RMA and the problem still persist. The USB seem randomly overcurrent when my iPhone USB-C charger to USB-C (front panel) but didn't happen when its charging to motherboard back of IO (USB-C). Also, The entire USB randomly went to off during iPhone charger to USB-C (Front Panel). Not sure why is that? I just checked the motherboard and looks clean even before and after RMA motherboard. The problem still persist as well just only at USB-C header cable to Front Panel of case.

When I restart my pc with iPhone USB-C charger to Front Panel only. I get USB Overcurrent on the screen and 15 sec to shutdown itself. I've checked USB-C header and there no bent or anything yet. So motherboard problem or somewhat?

I've been tested with other power resupply (PSU) and other PC case. The problem still there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

m0c1n
Level 8

FOUND PROBLEM BEEN SOLVED!

Download PD update tool on ASUS support motherboard website.

Go to ASUS Website Z790-E GAMING WIFI > SUPPORT > DRIVER & TOOLS > BIOS & FIRMWARE > Scroll down 'FIRMWAVE' > Click download on 'PD update tool. 

After that. Please shut down the computer then unplug the PSU for 2min then plug it and turn on the pc as normal. You good now.

So fantastic! I knew it is wasn't my motherboard issue. Good job ASUS did it. 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

JohnAb
Level 17
See page 1-12 of your manual. That front charging port only supports 30W. On some other motherboards there is an extra power connector to increase the power (to 60W I think), but you don't have that. I can't see how much power the rear USB-C port provides, but sounds like it is rated higher.

I think that your phone is overloading the front port. Better to use a dedicated phone charger I think, rather than putting that sort of load on the motherboard. I'm not saying it's wrong to do it, but that's what I would do.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
See page 1-12 of your manual. That front charging port only supports 30W. On some other motherboards there is an extra power connector to increase the power (to 60W I think), but you don't have that. I can't see how much power the rear USB-C port provides, but sounds like it is rated higher.

I think that your phone is overloading the front port. Better to use a dedicated phone charger I think, rather than putting that sort of load on the motherboard. I'm not saying it's wrong to do it, but that's what I would do.

Thank you for post this about manual, so interesting I thought every motherboards looks same but not really so its different. That's weird, my motherboard does reach to 30 watts max. However this motherboard seems different, it has PD 3.0 feature as well. So actually every I tested with USB-C front panel with Oculus Quest 2 VR and iPhone charger shows USB overcurrent after unplug on USBView debugger. So I guess that affect on restart PC? since the USB power output goes to off on PC shutdown or USB unplug cause USB overcurrent.

Why it's shows Port 3 and Port 19 overcurrent at same time? That's when unplug off the USB-C Front Panel showed on USBView Debugger.

Port 3

Port 19

JohnAb
Level 17
I don't know to be honest, but I get the sense that your motherboard is not faulty, just that you are asking it to provide too much power. Do you have both 8 pin power connectors plugged into the motherboard? If you do, then I still think that a dedicated external charger would probably be the best solution... I'm not an expert on this, just my view.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
I don't know to be honest, but I get the sense that your motherboard is not faulty, just that you are asking it to provide too much power. Do you have both 8 pin power connectors plugged into the motherboard? If you do, then I still think that a dedicated external charger would probably be the best solution... I'm not an expert on this, just my view.

I hopefully about if actually motherboard not faulty. Both 8 pins connectors plugged on motherboard. I agree with dedicated external charger is best choice, but sometime I need use USB C on front for my iPhone storage stuff, also it's happened notification pop up on right bottom corner window 11 taskbar USB C was warned to disconnect, I'm afraid at that for don't want happen that again because file is not fully completed. I have to use at rear. it's annoyed stand on the desk table to plug it because I don't have magic to make my arm long lol.

I will take time for trying solve problem. If can't found anything. I will try contact ASUS RMA about this If they think if it's motherboard faulty or not. I'm really want solve the this problem without waste time to replace motherboard.

Hey!  I just want to chime in and say I'm experiencing the SAME THING as you on a new Z790-E ROG STRIX.

I got this motherboard this month and it's been solid except the front panel USB-C connector.

I sometimes would plug in my SteelSeries Arctic 7 receiver into the USB-C on the front panel and would have the same issue on rebooting with USB-C overcurrent protection popping up and then shutting down my system.

I've reseated the connector on the motherboard and even changed cases from a Fractal Torrent to a Corsair 5000D Airflow.  Same deal.

Now, I just use a USB-C to USB-A cable to connect the device to the front panel USB-A ports instead...

USB-C port on the motherboard back is fine, though!  But I have some problems with signal range for my wireless headset when I use that one...

Anyway...  Yeah... Pretty annoying!!

Saw someone else at overclock.net have the same problem which started on a later firmware.  We could be onto something!

https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-asus-strix-maximus-z790-owners-thread.1800191/post-291018...

Yes. I been contact ASUS support, I think they start investigation.

However, I been chatted with one guy he got same as my motherboard, He tested it and still same problem.

I got nearly same problem for my brand new Z-790-E, Current overflow detected but it didn't interrupt the boot up sequence till now. My external device is a WD D30 1TB attached to the front USB 3.2 2x2 port.  Sometimes, a warning notice will come up on the lower right corner with Win11 desktop stating that over current detected and the port will shut down for a while. Really annoying about it. Hope its not a hardware defect

I believe nothing with motherboard. ASUS need fix that by update BIOS / Driver / Firmware.