cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z690-E not seeing GPU/not booting with it installed

Essex23
Level 7
Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the motherboard working in tandem with the GPU that is being used.

System:
ROG STRIX Z690-E Motherboard
ROG STRIX 1070 Ti OC

Problem:
50% of the time when 'restarting' the system (not from a cold boot) clicking start and reboot or asked to restart after an update ect.., the card is not seen by the motherboard after the 'reboot', i get one long beep followed by three short beeps which also indicates GPU or RAM issue, I've already ruled out 'New' RAM and swapped them out for other RAM I have, yet have same problem. I have to hit the 'reset button' on top of the tower to come back up OR i have to shutdown the PC and press the start button on the tower to get around it.

To further test, my ASUS motherboard (ROG STRIX Z690-E) has an HDMI that I used instead, restarted my PC at least 50 times without failures, so that means my onboard GPU works fine, but when I reconnect back to the card's HDMI, its fails 50% of the time on a 'Restart'. On a cold start it works every time but I do a lot of remote work and reboots / restart need to work so can access my PC. I've already tried to reset it several time and clean the pins but have the same problem.

The GPU worked perfectly fine in a previous build with an ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming motherboard, was never overclocked or anything, and was run in SLI configuration. Both cards were working perfectly, but now have issues with this new motherboard. ASUS Tech supprt claims the card is the issue and is about to fail, but I disagree and think it is some other issue not being identified.
19 REPLIES 19

SunilV
Level 7
Same problem. Using Nvidia 1060 6GB DP port and restart from windows gets stuck with GPU(white led) lit. Until I press reset on the cabinet it won't boot into windows.

With the onboard DP port, it reboots fine.

This Nvidia card which I am using is absolutely fine and can able to use in other systems without any issues like this.

Please help anyone.

Just for Info, My System Config
i9 12900K
Asus Strix Z690-E
XPG 16x2=32GB 5200mhz Kit
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB GP104 Amp Edition
Corsair 1000RM Watts

I use PCIe SATA 10 Ports card
ROG M2 Card with 1 NVMe Occupied.

how long have you had the card? if just received, i would try a bios flash if possible

hoodiemike wrote:
how long have you had the card? if just received, i would try a bios flash if possible

I have had this card since 2019. Zero problems with other boards.
It's Zotac GTX 1060 6 GB (AMP! Edition)

Flashed to latest ROG STRIX Z690-E Version 1304 also but no solution.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Can you confirm you're not using a riser cable of any kind? Does the issue occur with the GPU in another 16x length slot?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Can you confirm you're not using a riser cable of any kind? Does the issue occur with the GPU in another 16x length slot?

No, I am not using any riser cable. I haven't tested in another slot.

SunilV wrote:
No, I am not using any riser cable. I haven't tested in another slot.

Reseat the CPU whilst checking for even mounting pressure and any bent pins. I would recommend seeing if you get the same result in another 16x slot.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Reseat the CPU whilst checking for even mounting pressure and any bent pins. I would recommend seeing if you get the same result in another 16x slot.

Sure. I will test it this weekend. Thank you

catch36
Level 8

catch36 wrote:
Maybe this will help - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Thank you. I will check tonight and will update here.

Strange thing yesterday noticed. When I do click restart from windows and as usual mobo stucks at Q-LED with VGA light(white) but I noticed windows 11 is loading behind successfully.
Yesterday my speaker bar was switched on and I can hear Windows 11 loading and welcome sounds. Usually, I switch on my speaker after successful windows loading every time.

Then I just did press the cabinet switch once(not long just tap) to shut down the windows normally. It shut down the windows and the system completely off.
All of it happened with no display screen.

Hope you guys understood what I am saying. English is not my language.