cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI PCI x8 x16

_SKiDRoW_
Level 7
Hi!

I have an issue with the bandwidth of the PCI lane on my motherboard, it is a z690 as it says in the title, and the GPU is a RTX 3060Ti
Well the issue is that GPU-Z says the bandwidth is x8 insted of x16, no matter what I do (start render test) here is some snapshoots

GPU is in the first PCI x16 lane, and I have a soundcard (soundblaster zx) in the second PCI x16 slot, because it doesn't fit in the x1 PCI.

Could it be that the soundcard interferes with the bus?
Is there something in the BIOS to change that i'm missing?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Shark007
Level 10
The moment you use any other PCIe x16 slot (your soundcard in this case)
The #1 slot drops to x8

Shark007 wrote:
The moment you use any other PCIe x16 slot (your soundcard in this case)
The #1 slot drops to x8

Is there any way to change this from BIOS? or another solution?

Edit: I just took out the soundcard and keep saying the same thing (x8), and even try to run red dead redemption 2, still no change.
Maybe is just the gpu-z reporting it wrong?
thoughts?

Do you have an M.2 drive in the top bay (M.2_1)? It shares lanes with the top PCIE slot (the GPU slot), so putting an M.2 drive in M.2_1 will also drop the gpu slot to x8. M.2_2 and M.2_3 can be used without impacting the top PCIE slot, as can the HyperM.2 Card in the bottom slot.

GPU_Z reports fine for me. I have a 3090 in the top PCIE slot, Samsung 980 Pro nvme drives in M.2_2 and M.2_3, and the HyperM.2 Card in the bottom slot currently with (1) Samsung Pro nvme. GPU-Z shows x16 for my 3090 when rendering.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
Do you have an M.2 drive in the top bay (M.2_1)? It shares lanes with the top PCIE slot (the GPU slot), so putting an M.2 drive in M.2_1 will also drop the gpu slot to x8. M.2_2 and M.2_3 can be used without impacting the top PCIE slot, as can the HyperM.2 Card in the bottom slot.

GPU_Z reports fine for me. I have a 3090 in the top PCIE slot, Samsung 980 Pro nvme drives in M.2_2 and M.2_3, and the HyperM.2 Card in the bottom slot currently with (1) Samsung Pro nvme. GPU-Z shows x16 for my 3090 when rendering.

Yes, I have an m.2 drive in the top bay. I will try to change it tomorrow.
Thanks for the reply!

Have a different board. ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 but don't expect their to be much diufference in this regard. Having a drive in any M.2 slot should NOT be affect the PCie Slots. I have 3 Nvme drives. 2x Samsung (70 in the bottom 2 M.2 slots and a Samsung 980 in the top, above GPU and below CPU and my GPU is in x 16 mode. Plus the fact the top PCI/GPU port is a PCIe 5.0 x16 slot where as the others are not.

Again I have a different board, yours as another pci slot than mine. I have also have a Pci Raid card in my only other x16 PCI slot which is right at the bottom. My RTX 3070 GPU shows x16 mode. I have another M.2 slot where your middle PCi x16 slot is. So try the Sound card inthe bottom slot.

_SKiDRoW_
Level 7
It was the m.2 slot causing the problem.
I changed my m.2 drive to M.2_2 slot like RogScott say (thanks) and that solved it, now GPU-Z shows x16

Thank you all for your time!