cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog strix Z690-E Gaming terrible write performance on raid 5

sververda
Level 8
Hey all,

I'm getting a terrible write performance on my raid-5 setup with the following hardware:

The system has an I7-12700K processor and 32GB or ram in a dual set Corsair CMK32GXM2A4800C40.
I have an NVME (Corsair MP600 Core with PCIe link width x4, PCIe link speed 8000 MB/s) as my non raid system disk.
The raid 5 system is 4x HDD's WD Red Plus WD40EFZX, Sata 3, 6 Gb/s. Data disk cache Enabled on each disk, on the riad Write-cache buffer flushing enabled, Cache mode: Read Only.

What i already noticed during copying data from old Sata disk (that i temporarily connected to the remaining 2 sata ports) that i did got a performance start of 70 to 80 MB/s for a couple of seconds after which it dropped to 15 to 20 MB/s for the remainder of the copy procedure (even with very large files).

So now i started doing some test from the NVME to the raid5 and vice versa.
While copying 4 files of around 1.1GB from the NVME to the raid 5 i got around 1 GB/s for the first 2 second after which it dropped to again 20 MB/s.
When copying 9 files or around 2.2GB each from the raid 5 to the NVME i got around 380 MB/s average, no peak at the beginning and no drop after the start.

I was not expecting huge speeds specially from the old sata disk, but was expecting more from the NVME to the raid 5... but the overal drop the 20 MB/s is hugely dissapointing in my opinion and is FAR from what it should perform.

I found a synology NAS test with the same drives on a 10Gb ethernet connection that performed around 250MB/s write speeds in a continous loop of a 1GB file.
I know there is a difference in hardware and software raid, but with the latest chipset and processor the drop still should not be THAT huge.

What am i missing here to get a better performance?

forgot to mention: Bios is on 0811, OS is windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel RST VMD driver: 19.0.0.1067
10 REPLIES 10

Mechkiller31st wrote:
I just wanted to do a followup on this that i think i just figured out my own problem. I changed the RAID-5 Stripe size from 128k (Asus default i guess) down to 64k and now my write performance is at 400-450MB/s versus the 32-50MB/s i was getting.

Thanks for the update. Good to keep in mind for RAID issues.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…