cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 crashes Windows 11 in XMP 1 or 2 mode

emmarshall71
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I am running a Windows 11 Professional build with a 12700K CPU and 64 GB of GSKILL F4-3600C16Q-16GTZR memory on the STRIX Z690-A board. This memory ran fine on my Maximus Hero XII Z490 board on XMP settings. I am running the latest 0807 BIOS and have had the same issue on the prior two BIOS versions. If I try either XMP 1 or XMP 2 windows fails to boot and collects error messages to send to Microsoft. I have also tried this with the CPU Overclock jumper set to both on and off. Also I noticed that setting XMP II, but setting the DRAM to 3400 allows Windows to boot and run fine, but anything higher will crash windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. First time I am running into this issue after years of building on ASUS boards.
41 REPLIES 41

bscool
Level 11
https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-asus-strix-maximus-z690-owners-thread.1794802/post-289165...

901 and 707 Seem oc for me on 2x8. Not sure how they are on 4x8. Havent test 2x16 b die yet on 901. Post some sr results on aida64 at link. Had to raise tcl to 15 to pass Karhu memtest.

I know this is an old(ish) post, I was searching to see if there had been a solution to this.
For me running ram (ddr4) in this case resulted in weird crashes or crappy performance, esp in gpu orientated tasks.
My temp solution at the time was to reduce the ram speed to the next speed slower than the xmp setting, this was only prevalent in Win11, Win10 was fine.
So yeah, if still a problem, reduce the speed a little, it may work. Good luck.

KroLeXz
Level 7
Unbelievable and extremely irate at Asus. I'm extremely tech savvy and comfortable troubleshooting but after 2 motherboards, 2 CPU, 2 Power Supply and 2 sets of memory and still having the same BSOD crashes, enough is enough. At this point you all deserve to be reported to the BBB, how do you release a product this defective? Absolute trash

KroLeXz
Level 7
Surprise surprise, switched to MSI motherboard and kept the same CPU, Memory and GPU and ZERO ISSUES. Horrible

I have bought nothing but Asus products for years now, but after buying this board and having nothing but problems with it I am thinking about changing over to some other make. Honestly this board has cost me weeks of research and messing around just to get it working and after fixing most of the problems I now have a chipset that is overheating because Asus couldn't be bothered seating the heatinks properly.

I can confirm that DDR4 XMP issues are still persistent with IME Firmware 16.1.25.2091 and BIOS ver.2204. Troubleshooting the issue, I've found out that this only correlates to 2(two) 3600MHz DDR4 DIMM's.

There is a workaround to this, however.

Set the advertised XMP profile (3600Mhz 18-22-22-39-1.35V) and then just manually increase or decrease RAM speed to any other speed than 3600. If you decide to ramp up the speed to higher values (eg. 3800MHz), you'll need to increase the DRAM voltage to 1.45V, CPU System Agent Voltage to 1.35V and IVR Transmitter VDDQ voltage to 1.4V to achieve memory stability. Also, in DRAM Timing Control options , you'll need to Disable MCH Full Check.

I ran the full memory benchmarks and can confirm that, in my case, memory is stable with these settings (3800-18-22-22-39, 1.45V). I'm running 2x Kingston Fury 16GB Beast DDR4 3600MHz CL18 KF436C18BB/16, 1 DIMM with Hynix, 1 DIMM with Micron chips.

bigjohns97
Level 9
This is odd, I have this board and have never had a single issue getting it to boot with XMP profile.

Using the follow sticks

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1562831134/F4-3600C16D-16GVKC

bigjohns97 wrote:
This is odd, I have this board and have never had a single issue getting it to boot with XMP profile.

Using the follow sticks

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1562831134/F4-3600C16D-16GVKC

Not sure why mine are not working. Only thing that comes to mind is the fact they have 2 different chip manufacturers and they were bought separately (not in a kit of 2). I must mention that I can boot to OS without any problems with stock XMP's, but as soon as I hit some heavier load on the memory (benchmark or gaming), my PC freezes after 10-15 minutes every time. This just means memory is not running stable at those freq. But when I set it to either 3500 or 3800MHz (with XMP profile selected, only manually changed freq), works like a charm.

Adrian1983 wrote:
Me neither to be fair, Both modes XMP 1 and XMP 2 work fine for me with my Crucial Ballistix DDR 3600mhz ram which I am running at 3800Mhz with stock ram voltage of 1.35v and quite a low VCCSA voltage also of 1.15v, my VDDQ TX voltage also is only set at stock of 1.2v.

This RAM I have isn't even on the QVL list but no issues here. BL2K16G36C16U4B

Yeah, but as you see, you're running it at 3800MHz, not at stock XMP. I might have used higher voltages than you, but mine were not stable at 1.35v. Not even at 1.4v. Sometimes I can't even get it to post with lower voltages on this MB. Also, you're running the kit of 2 identical RAM sticks. In my case, 1 stick has Hynix, another one has Micron chips.

itsmik4 wrote:
Not sure why mine are not working. Only thing that comes to mind is the fact they have 2 different chip manufacturers and they were bought separately (not in a kit of 2). I must mention that I can boot to OS without any problems with stock XMP's, but as soon as I hit some heavier load on the memory (benchmark or gaming), my PC freezes after 10-15 minutes every time. This just means memory is not running stable at those freq. But when I set it to either 3500 or 3800MHz (with XMP profile selected, only manually changed freq), works like a charm.

Yeah, but as you see, you're running it at 3800MHz, not at stock XMP. I might have used higher voltages than you, but mine were not stable at 1.35v. Not even at 1.4v. Sometimes I can't even get it to post with lower voltages on this MB. Also, you're running the kit of 2 identical RAM sticks. In my case, 1 stick has Hynix, another one has Micron chips.

I did have it running at stock 3600mhz for a few weeks without issue also before deciding to overclock it to see what I could get out of them or how good the IMC was on my 12900K but they are stable also at stock of 3600mhz.

Aah I didn't know you had different RAM sticks, I thing the general consensus is to not mix RAM sticks, Even though it can work it's not an ideal scenario I believe.

itsmik4 wrote:

Why not just try a cheap matched kit and see if that solves your problem, I was shocked when I looked up mine and saw they were going for 50 bucks now. 😉