cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix 690-E - Wish to Revert to Previous BIOS

Jay_K
Level 8
After having the latest BIOS 1720 pushed to me (thanks a lot Microsoft) I've been trying to revert to an older version. Problem is, every time I flash the BIOS, I restart, enter the BIOS and save, but then 1720 either gets reflashed by Easy Flash 3 as soon as the system restarts or I get a notice to restart to install the update as soon as I hit my Windows 11 desktop. I even tried a hard reset (remove power cable and battery, hold power button for 30 seconds to drain capacitors, wait 5 minutes and then reinsert power cable and battery) but I had the same outcome.

Can someone please talk me through how I can revert to an old (preferably the original) version of the BIOS? At this stage I'm even willing to reinstall Windows 11 (again), as long as there's a good chance that will fix it... but I don't know if/how that will stop my mobo reflashing itself...

ROG Strix Z690-E is running an i7-12700F, G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000 (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5K), Gigabyte RTX 3080, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB.

Thanks for reading.
4 REPLIES 4

ahfoo
Level 13
Download the the bios from the support page. Extract the file to your C drive. You will see a .CAP file. Restart your bios and select EZ Bios from the bios page of your motherboard. update the bios and select the file with the .CAP and clock update. After reboot your system will reset to default, what you need to re entry whatever setting. Hope it help.

ahfoo wrote:
Download the the bios from the support page. Extract the file to your C drive. You will see a .CAP file. Restart your bios and select EZ Bios from the bios page of your motherboard. update the bios and select the file with the .CAP and clock update. After reboot your system will reset to default, what you need to re entry whatever setting. Hope it help.

Hi, thanks for replying. Problem is that I did that, but as soon as I saved the settings and the machine restarted it took me back into the BIOS and EZ Flash 3 (with no input from me) reflashed to 1720. When that didn't happen, as soon as I got into Windows it told me to restart because it had pushed 1720 again. So, in other words, I'm able to flash the BIOS I want, but then it gets changed back immediately by EZ Flash 3 or Windows 11.

Jay_K
Level 8
Got it figured out: Armoury Crate was to blame. I've removed it and I've been able to stay on BIOS 1601 without a problem.

That's good to know, and helpful that you updated the thread. There has been a huge discussion about auto-updating of the BIOS in this thread:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130207-BIOS-v1720-Compulsory-Update-Mega-Thread

It might be separate issue, but perhaps it will help somebody 🙂
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.