cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - Poor Memory Compatibilty

AlexTodd
Level 8

Just done a new build of a 14900k and a ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO. Never had so much trouble on a new build since the 1990's. Since everything was new i bought some 8000mhz ram that's advertised as XMP 3.0 ready to get what i thought was going to be the best out of my purchase, It's been quite the opposite. (

TEAMGROUP T-Force FF3D532G8000HC38DDC01

I initially thought it was a bios issue when it was first built as windows would not even complete an install when a XMP profile was used and i updated the bios to 1501

Using XMP under any speed causes crashes and even coming off XMP and using 5600mhz on auto settings is not even stable when gaming or under load. I contacted ASUS support and because the ram i have is not on the QVL list , they said their support is very limited and offered no support whatsoever.

If my ram is not on the QVL list (Supported) , then why does XMP allow me to select 8000mhz and other XMP speeds ?

Plus it also appears that the board is applying the wrong timings for the ram when using AUTO. CPU-Z shows different SPD info from what the board is running.

Regret moving from my 9900k And Hero Maximus Z390 now as it never had issues like this with ram.

I know that bios updates regularly sort out memory compatibilty issues . Does anyone know how you actually get ASUS to listen to you , rather than fob you off with a QVL list and we dont support that reply ?
Screenshot (4).png

17 REPLIES 17

The diff is that my Ram is on the QVL list.  What is your memory SP score?

Intel certification considers CPU safeguards for voltage and validation thresholds. They don’t validate kits to run in any board of the users choosing. That’s simply not how these things work.

The memory and board vendors have their own QVL, this is because certain frequencies will only be obtainable on boards with sufficient signal margin (line impedance, trace layout, PCB layers, etc). This is before we even consider the variance in CPU memory controllers. 

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

@Silent_Scone wrote:

Intel certification considers CPU safeguards for voltage and validation thresholds. They don’t validate kits to run in any board of the users choosing. That’s simply not how these things work.

The memory vendors have their own QVL, this is because certain frequencies will only be obtainable on boards with sufficient signal margin (line impedance, trace layout, PCB layers, etc). This is before we even consider the variance in CPU memory controllers. 

ASUS themself clearly indicate that this board is capable of accepting memory over 7800+MT on their website . 7800+ in anyones head means more than that , like 8000MT. The ram i bought is literally just off a production line in the USA and obviously ASUS has yet to update the BIOS on this board to accommodate it. I hardly expect it to be on a QVL list when its just been made, nobody would.Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 18-36-25 ROG Maximus Z790 Hero ATX Motherboard.png

Memory vendors bin the kits for speeds they are sold in, they don’t manufacture the memory, or “roll off a production line” at 8000MT, or at any speed above JEDEC specification.

There’s quite a few gaps in your understanding to fill here, more reason to stick to the QVL.

Nobody can give assurances for overclocking.

Best of luck.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Shinchan0125
Level 10

Not sure about Team C ram.  My G.Skill F5-7200J3445G can run at 7400 without relax any timing at all when i was on Z790 Hero.

@Shinchan0125 wrote:

Not sure about Team C ram.  My G.Skill F5-7200J3445G can run at 7400 without relax any timing at all when i was on Z790 Hero.

That's good you got it running at it's rated speed without any issues. Im sure i will be sitting in a few months trouble free myself after a Bios update or two 🙂

they took away support for 8000mhz ram for a reason. they initially put it on there for 4 dimm motherboards but took it off because it is so unstable and such a low chance of working. no bios update is going to fix that.

@Vynra wrote:

they took away support for 8000mhz ram for a reason. they initially put it on there for 4 dimm motherboards but took it off because it is so unstable and such a low chance of working. no bios update is going to fix that.

Bizarre as they still sell the board describing it as capable of doing so 🙄Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 18-36-25 ROG Maximus Z790 Hero ATX Motherboard.png