cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 Hero - Unable to restart from Windows

TapioPix
Level 8
Hey all,

I have an odd situation where my PC will not restart from Windows. If I select 'restart' in the Windows menu, the machine appears to do the restart, but then hangs in POST. The MB shows QCODE 97 when this happens.
Pressing the case or board reset button results in a successful boot, as does powering off and pressing the power button. Once up and running, the system is completely stable.

Any idea what is going on here? It's not a massive issue but it's annoying, especially during updates etc, and I feel there's probably an obvious cause / solution...

The only potentially 'unusual' setting I have is that IOMMU is disabled because of a legacy audio card which would otherwise causes driver crashes. I have some mild overclocking in place and I'm using XMP-2 for the memory, but have confirmed that this issue is also present when I revert to stock settings.

Cheers,
Geoff

System details:
CPU: Intel i9-12900k
MB: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 Hero (BIOS 1403)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x32GB) 5200MHz CAS40
GPU: ASUS TUF NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 4TB
PCIe: Intel 10G Ethernet Adapter X550-T2
PCIe: ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio (this is what needs IOMMU to be off)
Power supply: BeQuiet 1000W
7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

97 is a VGA Code. Are you running the latest VBIOS revision?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,
97 is a VGA Code. Are you running the latest VBIOS revision?

I've checked GPU BIOS and it is up to date (I tried the update tool from the support section and it said the version installed was already the latest). Could it somehow relate to the onboard graphics (Intel) rather than the PCIe card? I have both enabled for rendering, with the BIOS set to have PCIe as primary..

I found a thread that suggested this behaviour might be fixed by running "bcdboot C:\windows" from an elevated command prompt - initially it seemed to fix it but then the problem returned...

Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Geoff

TapioPix wrote:
I've checked GPU BIOS and it is up to date (I tried the update tool from the support section and it said the version installed was already the latest). Could it somehow relate to the onboard graphics (Intel) rather than the PCIe card? I have both enabled for rendering, with the BIOS set to have PCIe as primary..

I found a thread that suggested this behaviour might be fixed by running "bcdboot C:\windows" from an elevated command prompt - initially it seemed to fix it but then the problem returned...

Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Geoff

You can try disabling iGPU to rule this out, sure.

The update tool can sometimes be temperamental, you can confirm VBIOS revision on GPUZ

Possibly try a different DP cable, too.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
You can try disabling iGPU to rule this out, sure.

The update tool can sometimes be temperamental, you can confirm VBIOS revision on GPU

Possibly try a different DP cable, too.

iGPU being enabled or not made no difference

GPU BIOS is 94.02.71.80.79

I tried unplugging the two monitors in turn and actually removing one of them resulted in proper restart behaviour - I then re-seated that cable at both ends and it seems to be ok now... I will believe in in a few days after some real-world usage rather than just restarting immediately after logging in, but that might actually have fixed it!

I'll try to come back and post whether this fixed it permanently, but if you're reading this in the future and there are no futher replies, that was probably the end of it and you should check your cables..!

[UPDATE] The problem came back but pulling out the 'problem' sound card that would BSOD without disabling IOMMU seems to have done the trick. Perhaps the time has come to no longer use that...

Thanks for the help 🙂

Funnily enough I have the exact same problem with a new system I have built today. I am not new to this game having 35 years working as a system maintained engineer yet never managed to find a solution to it (& only use ASU’s motherboards). The system today was built with a TUF Z790 Plus D4 WiFi board & 13900K (all stock at present with latest BIOS installed as board was supplied with a BIOS from over a year ago). Have tested all devices in other machines (some with 7 some without Asus motherboards & all are perfectly fine). Memory is on QVL. CPU is not thermal throttling or hitting anywhere near the TJMax. The monitor DP cables are all fine as well as tested on other machines which restart etc all perfectly fine still. It does the same if the iGPU is enabled or disabled in the BIOS also.

When do a Windows restart, it will reboot then hang after the single system beep with no error codes displayed (showing as would with normal boot but not booting). When updating the BIOS it also done the same & had to press the reset button to get the ME & Aura UEFI updates done as well. After the UEFi/BIOS update, it is still the same. Was same before any windows updates were installed (installed using latest ISO as of 22 November 23).

Tried updating VBIOS on RTX3080ti that is in the system but manufacturer has no updated VBIOS for the card (which also means no Resizable Bar support for it as original Nvidia 3080ti VBIOS had no support yet card OEM will not release a VBIOS to enable it using the Nvida fix released after launch- last time I ever use this manufacturers products as all their other GPU’s have updated VBIOS for ReBar support).

If this was a customers machine, I would not be letting it leave the workshop but it is my own so can put up with having to press the reset button after a restart or just fully shutdown the system & press the power button instead.

karenhajinyan
Level 8

I also had this problem. I installed the VGA driver on my computer and encountered this problem. The computer did not restart from START. The only method was to install a new system and that worked for me.

Try to format your PC software and install new windows system. 

Unfortunately that won’t make a difference as it is a BRAND NEW build with a totally fresh installation of Windows. It done it once or twice before the OS was even installed (which I put down to being a conflict/confusion between the iGPU & the 3080ti as set it up using the iGPU as needed to transfer some data from a m.2 drive that was not staying in it & keeping on removing stuff to get to other stuff is a chore at best of times). Doesn’t matter if the iGPU is left enabled or disabled in the BIOS. 

The board originally had a BIOS from 09/22 (rev 0602) so needed updating which even doing that, i had to press the reset button between the main UEFI update, AURA LED & ME updates so to get a display (which has nothing to do with the OS).

Even from a completely cold start-up, it may take 2 or 3 presses of the Reset button to get a display. Thought it might be the GPU gone bad between moving from machine to machine, so tried it in 3 other machines here & no issues what so ever (2 ASUS boards - TUF Sabertooth Z87 & ROG Maximus Hero X - & an Asrock Z370 Fatality). same with the PSU. Changed it earlier for another known good one & same thing. The only items in the system that are new are the TUF Z790 motherboard, 13900K, 1TB 980 Pro SSD & a 2TB 980 Pro SSD. The rest of the components were all moved from old machine that was running flawlessly for 6 years with an OS that started out as W7 Home upgraded to W10 & upgraded again to W11! I even changed the boot SSD to the 6yr old upgraded OS one & same issue, which puts the SSD’s out of the equation.

My only remaining thoughts are I have a faulty motherboard or a faulty CPU or the CPU isn’t making proper connection to the pins in the socket even though using a contact frame torqued to the stated NM setting by the manufacturer of it. I didn’t want to reseat the CPU/Contact Frame just yet as not got any thermal paste left in my stocks, so once I do get the delivery, that is next step. If that doesn’t fix it, then will obviously put the original CPU retention mechanism back on the board & try that. if that doesn’t resolve the issue, then the board will have to be RMA’d.

The way this system is acting, if I could do so I would send the board & CPU back to supplier & go back to my rock solid 9900K/Maximus Hero X combo that has never let me down.

Also got the Intel XTU Watchdog issue which nobody seems to have found a solution to on LGA1700 platforms meaning having to re-set up & apply any overclock/undervolt every reboot.

This may be the end of my 30+ year partnership of exclusively using ASUS boards in every build (only got the Asrock Z370 as was bought used at a silly low price - was sold to me at a lower price bundled with a 8700K, 32GB Corsair LPX, 750W Coolermaster PSU & a Noctua NH-D15 than a basic Z370 mobo on its own was going for).