cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus z690 Extreme, Install DIMM.2 card without NVMe?

CuzzinChizzy
Level 8
Just about done with my build. Got a ROG Maximus z690 Extreme and would like all the slots up top to be filled for aesthetic purposes(all 4 RAM slots PLUS the DIMM.2 slot)

The NVMe SSDs I have are installed in the mobo under the heat sink. I don't have any extra NVMes to occupy the DIMM.2 card yet, but plan on adding some further down the road.

Would there be any issues with occupying the DIMM.2 slot with the board's included DIMM.2 card if there are no M.2s installed in the card?
4 REPLIES 4

ahfoo
Level 13
Sorry mate, I am quite puzzles what it has to do with DIMM slot and NVME. Please enlighten me further.

ahfoo wrote:
Sorry mate, I am quite puzzles what it has to do with DIMM slot and NVME. Please enlighten me further.

hey ahfoo

This motherboard came with an expansion card, a little bigger than a stick of RAM size wise. You can fit two M.2 SSDs in it and plug it into the boards DIMM.2 slot, which is to the right about an inch away from the four RAM slots.

Megalamaniac
Level 9
CuzzinChizzy wrote:
Would there be any issues with occupying the DIMM.2 slot with the board's included DIMM.2 card if there are no M.2s installed in the card?

You should be able to plug the Empty DIMM.2 card without occupying any of it's M.2 slots. I believe that as long as it's not populated, it won't be detected, but I'm not %100 sure. Either way you aren't risking anything by plugging it in.

Just remember that you need a Quad Kit to populate all four RAM Slots, not two Dual Kits. As far as I know, no one has released a Quad DDR5 Kit yet.

Megalamaniac wrote:
You should be able to plug the Empty DIMM.2 card without occupying any of it's M.2 slots. I believe that as long as it's not populated, it won't be detected, but I'm not %100 sure. Either way you aren't risking anything by plugging it in.

Just remember that you need a Quad Kit to populate all four RAM Slots, not two Dual Kits. As far as I know, no one has released a Quad DDR5 Kit yet.

Awesome, thanks Megalamaniac. And thanks for the heads up on the RAM Quad kit