cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme 12v port is wrong?

jaimed2002
Level 7
Hi guys …. I have a strange issue I have never encountered … My ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme on page 1-10 of the manual shows the required pin outs of the 12v motherboard ports. The two 12v ports (labelled A + B in manual), *located top left of mobo it requests that the 12v input be on the top row of both those ports.

My Corsair ax1500i which I have had and used in several builds, the issue is the 8 pin ports out of the PSU, of which there are 10, they all show 12v on bottom row when I test with multi metre, just as it says in its manual.

So to be clear mobo wants the 12v in row closest to port clip, which is not what the PSU wants.

So, basically, WTF? And, why have I never had this issue before on previous ROG mobo builds?

Alternatively if the case is that my ax1500i (possibly greatest PSU built with respects to quality), somehow does not have a port that my mobo wants, I assume if I just re-wire a cable so it comes out as 12v on bottom socket from PSU and *swap over to 12v on mobo port top row?*
10 REPLIES 10

jaimed2002 wrote:
Hey … Well slap my arse and call me Susan!!

Found out the issue. As I had been whining about every one of the 10 Â* 8 pin connectors from my PSU are all wired identically which is an issue as some 12v mobo ports want 12v all in row closest to licking clip, whilst others want it on the lower row.

So my issue was all the supplied 8 port cables was straight pass through with no cross over, this meant an conundrum.

So after all the stuffing around I discovered that two of my cables were actually from my spare set as I have 2 x ax1500i’s (I keep one as spare). Realising this I went digging around every Corsair 8 pin cable I could find. Turns out the CPU or EPS cable I had been using was from my spare set, which made me wonder if I had already modified that cable, so I found my default set of main cables, tested the connection and sure as hell by default the pins are swapped. It just so happened in a ridiculously likelihood I was unknowingly originally using cables at some stage (and lord knows why) had been changed from cross over to a straight through.

So question finally answered. Problem was just a typical stupid case of bad luck in unknowingly being confused as the PSU cables I was using had previously been modified and I was assuming they were still default and could not understand why plug and port Pinout didn’t match.

Hope that makes sense, and even better hope this helps some other poor person from losing their mind. Thanks for the help offered, much appreciated.Â*
Â*

I was getting ready to post the difference in pinnouts between the EPS and PCIe connectors, but it looks like you you figured it out.

For what its worth, https://pc-mods.com/blogs/psu-pinout-repository/corsair-psu-type-3-cables-pinout. The website has a pinnout repository