cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road to XMP stability - DDR5 4x16 (GSkill 6000CL36) on Z690 Formula

Peazmack
Level 7
Looking to share some input as well as try to get some from other, more experienced people in the field of OCing and coping with Z690/DDR XMP issues. So I went ahead of me, and bought 2 kits of GSkill DDR5 2x6 @6000MHz CL36. Of course, like for majority of us I reckon, it does not boot in either of the XMP settings. Now before I give up and switch back to using only 2 sticks instead of 4 which seem to cause more issues, looking for some input on the below. Im using latest bios available as of now for my motherboard (Z690 Formula with 12900K).

Closest to the XMP that I got is 5400 CL36 with VDD and VDDQ left alone at 1.3, System Agent left on auto (1.25 it seems) and Memory Controller on 1.23. That seems to be rock solid, had over 2.5 hours spent in Karhu's RAM Test without any errors the other night. VDD and VDDQ did not really impact the stability here, unless it went over 1.35, then I started getting errors. 1.23 for memory controller was the lowest I could go while being free of errors.

Attempted to go for 5600 CL36 tonight, but hardly any progress. Closest to Stability was VDD and VDDQ at 1.31 (I doubt it made any difference here), System Agent still on Auto and Memory Controller on around 1.29. I could boot no problem, but had constantly first ram error found within first 30 minutes of RAM Test, which I consider a fail. Any advice how to move it forward? Shall I push the Memory Controller above 1.3 threshold and look for stability there? Any other setting I'm missing here?
Additionally, should I settle for 4x16 5400 CL36 quad or switch to 2x16 dual with XMP 6000 CL36? Which would be more beneficial (I know it's rather marginally better) for gaming?
65 REPLIES 65

I can see this thread is still going, hope some of you at least managed to get some stability. Not sure if I mentioned that, but I decided to sell two of my sticks and stay with just 2x16. I was happy that the XMP was actually working, at least I thought so. Almost in every games I’m getting random crashes, even reboots. Karhu was not throwing any errors but Prime95 was. Removed xmp, errors are gone. One lesson I have learned just now, having spent majority of my life with PCs - never ever jump on the wagon of early adopter. Wish you all luck with your machines.

Ambidexter wrote:
I want to get 64+GB. I have a Maximus Z690 Hero (with the OK capacitor!).

Quick question:

Does "combining kits" mean if I get a DDR5 16GB x 2 at 6000MHz kit, and I have that working at 6000 (at least most of the time!), that I should sell those and need to get a 4 x 16GB or 2 X 64GB kit and not have 2 "of the same" kit?

Variation on the same question: If I wanted 64G but nobody sold 6000MHz kits in 2 x 32G sticks or 4 x 16G could /should I have gotten 2 x the 1x32 or 2x16 kits?

Thanks,

Ambi

I had 2 kits 2x16 (so 2x16 + 2x16) and even though they were right next to each other in serial numbers, they did not work nicely together. You might be lucky but in general, it does not work. Yo would need to purchase a single package containing the set you want (so 2x32 or 4x16).

Wit that said, perhaps for some of you it might be interesting. I spent some time yesterday and decided to give it another go at stabilizing my 2x16 set in XMP, which was throwing errors in Prime. I actually managed that by adding 0.010 offset to CPU vcore, setting Mem Controller at 1.23 and, what surprised me, lowering the VDDQ and VDD to 1.28 from 1.30 that came with SPD. Been running Prime95 for couple hours now, no errors.

Ambidexter wrote:

Quick question:

Does "combining kits" mean if I get a DDR5 16GB x 2 at 6000MHz kit, and I have that working at 6000 (at least most of the time!), that I should sell those and need to get a 4 x 16GB or 2 X 64GB kit and not have 2 "of the same" kit?

Variation on the same question: If I wanted 64G but nobody sold 6000MHz kits in 2 x 32G sticks or 4 x 16G could /should I have gotten 2 x the 1x32 or 2x16 kits?

Thanks,

Ambi

Combining kits means exactly that, putting two kits into the same system. Memory kits are binned in the density in which they are sold in, as soon as you combine them, you greatly reduce your chances of getting them to run at their advertised speed.

Moreover, 4x16 6000MT isn't possible on this platform.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Ambidexter wrote:

Quick question:

Thanks,

Ambi

I would recommend going with the Kingston DDR5 4800MHz 2x32GB kit: https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KF548C38BBK2-64.pdf

You want to buy a kit when you buy memory, if you plan on running more than one DIMM/Module.

The kit will have IC's from same manufacture assembly line run, thus all modules in kit will have IC's that match for 100% compatibility.

Kingston's SMT lines: https://youtu.be/3s7KG6QwUeQ

Just to update my case - still getting errors with 6k XMP. No combination of voltage could make it stable at XMP. I gave up, down clocked it to 5800 which is error free and gonna get rid of the board in favor of other brands.

Braegnok
Level 14
You guys with 4-slot motherboards running DDR5 that want to run full slots for the RGB would be better off with the Mantal modules.

Best option is 32GB (2x16GB + 2x Dummy) https://v-color.net/collections/ddr5-manta/products/ddr5-32gb-scckit-xprism-rgb-udimm-gamingmemory?v...