cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Randomly stuck during POST at Q-Code 65

langusiii
Level 7
Hi there,

Bought a new rig, Z690 Formula, i9-13900KF, 32GB DDR5 6400 and GForce 3080 (see my profile for more details) for my daughter last Nov/2022 and the only reason I am not throwing it away is the $6K I spent so far.

In average 4 of 5 attempts with no pattern, it gets stuck during POST with a Q-Code 65 (CPU DXE Initialization Started). For that 1 of 5 times in which it passes that point, I am able to go into the BIOS to configure it or just let it continue into the OS without any further problem (so this is completely unrelated with the OS/drivers).

Given that the DRAM is not in the QVL (uglies Corsair Venegance and Dominator are in, but nicer Venegance RGB is not) I purchased another set of ugly Kingstons 6400 MB/s within the QVL, but the problem persists. Also purchase an i9-13900K (with video support) resulting in the same. Purchased a Z690 Hero with the same results. Finally last night arrived another Z690 Formula for recommendation of Asus Customer Service, but the outcome is still the same.

Updated the BIOS to 2204 several times, updated the ME Update to latest, ensured the CPU / Socket don't have bended pins / dirt, clear CMOS infinite times to start from scratch, tried with XMP I, II, Tweaked, AI-Manual, from Intel Extreme Tunning utility, writing manually the resulting ok values, raising a little the RAM voltage from standard but still within range, disconnecting everything but essential, etc... even Best Buy Geeks... all with the same results!! (Note: I am not trying to OC... yet... just want a normal boot 99% of the time as everyone else).

Not many resources online, just a few posts from 2012, also from other manufacturers, without any conclusive proposal. As the result, I feel there is nothing wrong with each hardware component, but I am pretty sure is some variable/s I am not able to find which are and to which non-standard-value should be set.

Anyone with some experience in how to solve this code 65 (a very few times was a 63, and lesser others I don't remember) or any tips will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance, geniuses!

Langus
10 REPLIES 10

pennyboy
Level 9
Great news! thanks for the update.