cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding IA CEP (Current Excursion Protection)

arlicht
Level 9

Strix Z790-E, 13900KS

In BIOS there is a function called IA CEP. It has Auto, Enabled, Disabled. What Auto means - is it enabled or disabled by default?

What the point of disabling it for example on 13900KS? Will this somehow improve OC?

I would be grateful if somebody with more knowledge on this topic could explain this. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @arlicht 

If you're referencing this due to the recent update with microcode 0x123, IA CEP function can now be disabled on Non K variant chips.

If you experiment with it on your K series CPU by running heavy MT benchmarks, you may find that IA CEP is disabled by default (it is on the APEX Encore).

However, outside of this setting, microcode 0x123 seems to bring marginal performance uplift to K Series CPUs.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Galixte
Level 9

Intel CEP means Intel Current Excursion Protection.

From what I understand, AUTO is defined by an Intel parameter that can be modified, perhaps via software.

This topic seems to have a lot of information on it: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/where-is-the-ia-cep-option-in-the-bios.383312/

EDIT: I found another topic about it: https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/technologies-explained/rog-unveils-beta-bios-for-14th-gen-non-k-proces...

ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-I - ASUS ROG STRIX 4070 Ti - Intel 13700K - G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6400 64GB (2x32GB)

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @arlicht 

If you're referencing this due to the recent update with microcode 0x123, IA CEP function can now be disabled on Non K variant chips.

If you experiment with it on your K series CPU by running heavy MT benchmarks, you may find that IA CEP is disabled by default (it is on the APEX Encore).

However, outside of this setting, microcode 0x123 seems to bring marginal performance uplift to K Series CPUs.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

question. how or where or what is the name of CEP on apps like hwinfo64 or here to see it or id it?

Learn, Play Enjoy!

Gatt
Level 7

Well, I disabled CEP on my 14900 non K and tested it with Cinebench 23 and no-limits in the Bios (v.2102). I run the 14900 with air cooling (NH-U12A) and an ASUS ROG STRIX Z790E. As far as points are concerned it gained some 5% (around 38,5K multicore) but what is more important it did it at lower temps. Now max temp is around 85°C, while with CEP enabled it went 95°C and above.