Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with power LED on STRIX Z690-F

daniel_cl
Level 7
Good evening,
I built a new rig this week.
-An i9-12900K with Corsair H60i (replaced the SP120 with 2 ML120 Pro)
-Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming Wifi
-2x16GB Kingston DDR5 6000 CL40
-Corsair RM750x PSU
-My previous 512GB Samsung 970 Pro PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD
-My previous Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070

Once I touch the power button, the power LED doesn’t turn on, until 5-7 seconds have passed.
If I watch Q-LEDs, I can see 2-3 red LED flashes, before the yellow, white, green LED, and then screen turns on, Windows logo, and finish booting. Aproximately 40 seconds from power button to desktop.
Never seen this behaviour on my previous builds (Z170, B85 and Z77).
It’s some kind of fault? Or all of you have this behaviour?
I search in Google something like “Z690 long time post” or “Z690-F post delay” and I can see a lot of people with similar problem, and no one answer.

I was doing some tests:
-Tried BIOS 0223, 1003, and come back to 1403, absolute no difference.
-Remove both RAM sticks.
Installed one in slot 1, no boot (red light, yellow light, red light, yellow light, ... and no boot).
Installed one in slot 2, boot, but with power on delay. Installed the other one in the same slot, same behaviour.
-Disconnected PSU wire to socket. Connected again. Next time boot, no delay in power LED, it lights on inmediately, but RAM testing takes a lot of time (first red light, then yellow lite like 20 or 30 seconds, then white light and finally green light, and screen turns on.
Next time boot, the delay in power LED appear again (6 seconds until light on), and RAM testing quick, less than a second.
-Changed XMP settings. With XMP1 or XMP2 6000, same delay. Tried enter manual timmings instead of XMP profile, same behaviour.
With auto (JEDEC 4800), the delay exists, but only half time, aproximately 3 seconds.
-Disconnected USB headers and USB devices, no difference.
-Disconected M.2 disc (connected on M2_1 slot), no difference.
-Disconnected PCIe graphics card, no difference.
-Take apart, clean and reseat all the slots (PCIe, DIMM and CPU), no difference.
-Test one by one different BIOS settings (VMD disable, Storage controlers disabled, ReSize BAR enabled, disable MultiCore Enhancement, hydranode fan control disabled, Fastboot disable). None of them changed the boot behaviour.

Then, have I a problem or incompatibility with RAM?
I bought two Kingston KF560C40BB-16 (DDR5-6000 CL40). Two separate RAM modules, not a 2x16GB kit (because stock lack). They appear in the QVL. I don't think the problem is they are separate modules, because the problem remains using only one.
Maybe a CPU problem? Because the IMC.
Or a mainboard problem?

I have an extrange behaviour in Q-LED diagnostic lights.

The first two red light flashes, the power LED is turned off, then, the power LED lights on, and boot secuence starts (red, yellow, withe, green, and BIOS).

What do you think?

Anyone with the same behaviour?

Many thanks for your answers.
4 REPLIES 4

RogScott
Level 12
I think what you describe is probably normal. It is similar to what I see with my Z690-E board, and I have seen other Z690 owners asking why boot time is so long.

With my Z690-E: I hit power switch, there is about 4-5 second delay before it illuminates. Boot proceeds as you describe, and Windows 11 screen is finally displayed at about 33 seconds from hitting power switch.

Does seem slow, but based on other reports I think it is typical of the Asus Z690 boards.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

daniel_cl
Level 7
I received answer from Asus support about the problem (explaining them all the tests, and sending a video of Q-LED behaviour). They send me an e-mail, telling that they will escalate the case to specialized technical service.
Maybe they think it isn't normal.

daniel_cl wrote:
I received answer from Asus support about the problem (explaining them all the tests, and sending a video of Q-LED behaviour). They send me an e-mail, telling that they will escalate the case to specialized technical service.
Maybe they think it isn't normal.

I'm currently having this issue with a ROG Maximus Z690 Hero Motherboard. Did you ever get a response back from Asus? or was there a recommendation by them?

daniel_cl
Level 7
They ask me for fill a form with some information.
Then, Asus Spain contact me, they tell that they can’t replícate the behaviour in their lab.
*Finally I ask for a replacement to the dealer. I changed to an MSI Z690 Carbon Wifi.
With MSI board, there isn’t any boot delay. I tested ASUS Z690-F with G.Skill 6000 MHz Samsung modules, with the same boot delay.
I didn’t like MSI BIOS, and finally bought a Z690 Héroe.
Same boot delay with Kingston 6000 and 5600 MHz Hynix modules. I think it’s an ASUS behaviour, that occurs at least on all Z690 DDR5 boards.
*Tested with diferent VGA, memory modules, SSD (M.2 and SATA), and in both ASUS (Hero and Z690-F) there is a delay. On MSI (Carbon Wifi) there isn’t the delay on boot.
Tried a lot of BIOS versions without change.*