cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with ASUS MB ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI (Intel,1700,DDR5,ATX)

lh82p
Level 8
I have built a new computer with the following components:
ASUS MB ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI (Intel,1700,DDR5,ATX)
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX4090 OC (white edition)
Intel I9-13900KS
4x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade 6400Mhz
2x Samung 990Pro.
Corshair XH1500I

I have the following problems:

With the latest bios update (0816) it often froze on startup in the ROG screen with the green (BOOT) LED. Sometimes waiting for a long time helped but sometimes not. I also tried with RAM 4800Mhz and also with only 2-RAM modules and without XMP profiles. I also checked the M2 SSD again. Everything brought nothing.

Now I have flashed again the old Bios (0805) of the delivery state and with it 4 RAM sticks seem to run @6000Mhz to some extent. But not perfect either, sometimes the computer just shuts down and reboots.

Also I can not install the ME driver because it says then always:
This tool doesn't support [ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI]

Took all update from here:
https://rog.asus.com/de/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-a-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios/

Now I wonder if something is wrong with the motherboard, CPU or RAMS.

I hope you can help me.

Kind regards.
3 REPLIES 3

luisalvarado
Level 7
I am having 5he same issue with a z790 hero. Everything was fine on 0803 until I updated to 0816. Now it crashes, freezes and takes longer to boot. I did the update today, even set the Bios to default to see if that fixed it. Nothing. The 0816 is the issue and it is the only thing that changed.

luisalvarado
Level 7
lh82p wrote:
I have built a new computer with the following components:
ASUS MB ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI (Intel,1700,DDR5,ATX)
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX4090 OC (white edition)
Intel I9-13900KS
4x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade 6400Mhz
2x Samung 990Pro.
Corshair XH1500I

I have the following problems:

With the latest bios update (0816) it often froze on startup in the ROG screen with the green (BOOT) LED. Sometimes waiting for a long time helped but sometimes not. I also tried with RAM 4800Mhz and also with only 2-RAM modules and without XMP profiles. I also checked the M2 SSD again. Everything brought nothing.

Now I have flashed again the old Bios (0805) of the delivery state and with it 4 RAM sticks seem to run @6000Mhz to some extent. But not perfect either, sometimes the computer just shuts down and reboots.

Also I can not install the ME driver because it says then always:
This tool doesn't support [ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI]

Took all update from here:
https://rog.asus.com/de/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-a-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios/

Now I wonder if something is wrong with the motherboard, CPU or RAMS.

I hope you can help me.

Kind regards.

Okay I solved the issue by going back to 0813. I did confirm 0816 is creating too many segfaults on Linux (almost 2 per minute) and crashes Windows 11. After going back to 0813 everything is working as it should for now. At least it has been several hours and all good compared to 0816 which I only needed 1 minute to find out about the problem.

On another note, the Asus Forum really sucks. Very hard to get to, leave replies and not friendly at all. Looks like a 1995 forum. Even if you click the image verification which is on top of the actual text area, if you take too long it resets instead of showing only after submitting which would be more UX friendly.

luisalvarado wrote:
Okay I solved the issue by going back to 0813. I did confirm 0816 is creating too many segfaults on Linux (almost 2 per minute) and crashes Windows 11. After going back to 0813 everything is working as it should for now. At least it has been several hours and all good compared to 0816 which I only needed 1 minute to find out about the problem.

On another note, the Asus Forum really sucks. Very hard to get to, leave replies and not friendly at all. Looks like a 1995 forum. Even if you click the image verification which is on top of the actual text area, if you take too long it resets instead of showing only after submitting which would be more UX friendly.

thanks for your feedback

then it really looks like the 0816 version is broken.

however, I have also tried the 0813 and have there also problems.
I hope asus will soon bring an update, because currently I can run my 6400 RAM-Kitts only on 5600 stable (until now...)

I have lost hours just because this bios is so bad.

I hope asus brings an update soon!