Pro WS W790E-SAGE SE, Q29 ERROR WONT POST

keithc2024
Level 8

SYSTEM

Pro WS W790E-SAGE SE Motherboard

CPU:  XEON W7-2495x

GPU:  GEFORCE RTX 4090

TEST WITH MEMORY: 

1. KINGSTON KSM48R40BD4TMM-64HMR  (ASUS APPROVED)

2. OWC128GB (2x64GB) 4800 PC5-38400 CL40 2Rx4 288-pin 1.1v ECC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                

I Purchased this motherboard new and was unable to get it to post.  I used certified ASUS DDR5 ECC memory sticks and CPU.  The second LED light glows green during post and hangs on error code Q29, which is not listed in the motherboard manual.  Called ASUS, confirmed both memory and CPU, they informed me this error was a memory issue.  I tested the memory got new sticks, updated BIOS,   Tried seating and resetting both the CPU and each of the memory sticks. 

ASUS RMD'd the motherboard and sent me a new one.  Again, wouldn't post, same Q Code error .  Q-29.   

Got one new memory stick to post.  Replaced with other sticks, was never able to get the new board to post again.   Purchased new memory.  Installed on MBoard.   No Post, Q-29 error. 

Anyone else having this issue?  I doubt this is a memory issue. 

Please advise,

Thanks        

6 REPLIES 6

Vynra
Level 12

might be a dead cpu? or cpu memory channel could be dead?

The CPU appears fine, and it was able to post only one time on the new board.  but once I finished testing that memory stick and re-inserted it, no more post..   just Q error 29.  Also, the CPU works fine in my other motherboard. 

G75rog
Level 10

Which Dimm slots are you using?

The MBoard manual on Pg. 1-5 says that for my processor type, only 4 channels (A1, B1, E1, F1) can be used.  I've tried all kinds of combinations.  Filling the channels and then trying only one or two channels which the board allows.  

I run a W790-ACE with 4 16gb Gskill sticks in it.  In your shoes I personally would acquire a 16gb to test with.

I don't need more than 64gb so my 4 stick kit works fine.

pockvini
Level 7

Same problem with KSM48R40BD4TMM-64HMR x2 and the same motherboard! what is happening! I tried different slots, I got sometimes the error F4.