cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRIME Z790-A WIFI XMP Issues, constant re boot if it boots... Please help

kalandor
Level 7
After being a Mac user for 9 years I have decided to build my dream PC now that the 13900k came out. This dream has turned into a nightmare so far. My system is rebooting around 5 times per day whenever XMP is enabled. So I reached out to Microsoft forums in the first place and no one could help me 😞

I have a pair of F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS sticks. Updated all drivers and even Bios and everything I could find on asus website.

Whenever XMP is enabled my system is bloody unstable and it restarted even while I was writing this just now. The MEMTEST86 failed big time, but when XMP is disabled the MEMTEST86 came back with no errors.

I have ordered a new pair of ram sticks that should arrive tomorrow. I dont know if it is the motherboard or CPU or RAM to be fair. I am refusing to use them without XMP, what is the point then? 🙂 please see screenshots of my nightmares:

7 REPLIES 7

jackson_lab
Level 7
kalandor wrote:
After being a Mac user for 9 years I have decided to build my dream PC now that the 13900k came out. This dream has turned into a nightmare so far. My system is rebooting around 5 times per day whenever XMP is enabled. So I reached out to Microsoft forums in the first place and no one could help me 😞

I have a pair of F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS sticks. Updated all drivers and even Bios and everything I could find on asus website.

Whenever XMP is enabled my system is bloody unstable and it restarted even while I was writing this just now. The MEMTEST86 failed big time, but when XMP is disabled the MEMTEST86 came back with no errors.

I have ordered a new pair of ram sticks that should arrive tomorrow. I dont know if it is the motherboard or CPU or RAM to be fair. I am refusing to use them without XMP, what is the point then? 🙂 please see screenshots of my nightmares:

FIRST: (Maybe a dumb question but some people do screw this up) Is your ram installed in Dimm_A2 and Dimm_B2? (Second and Fourth Slot)
If it is installed correctly then you must do this to narrow it down:

Install only ONE of the sticks in Dimm_A2. See if it can run the XMP profile and check for errors with built-in memtest86
Now take that stick out and install the other one in the same slot (Dimm_A2) and check if it runs XMP and also check it for errors.

This way at least you will know if one or both sticks are bad. Post your results here.

jackson_lab wrote:
FIRST: (Maybe a dumb question but some people do screw this up) Is your ram installed in Dimm_A2 and Dimm_B2? (Second and Fourth Slot)
If it is installed correctly then you must do this to narrow it down:

Install only ONE of the sticks in Dimm_A2. See if it can run the XMP profile and check for errors with built-in memtest86
Now take that stick out and install the other one in the same slot (Dimm_A2) and check if it runs XMP and also check it for errors.

This way at least you will know if one or both sticks are bad. Post your results here.

Thanks Jackson, the rams were in the right slots... I ran memtest86 on both of them individually in Slot A2 xmp I enabled, they both failed big time 😞

kalandor wrote:
Thanks Jackson, the rams were in the right slots... I ran memtest86 on both of them individually in Slot A2 xmp I enabled, they both failed big time 😞

Next thing to try would be lowering frequency just to see if you can boot 6200mhz or 6000mhz. Instead of using XMP. Set to Manual. Set Dram Frequency to 6200mhz. Set DRAM VDD/VDDQ to 1.4. Set timings to 32-39-39-102. Everything else on AUTO. I have these same sticks in a Z690 Apex. I do have them Overclocked to 6800mhz. But the one thing I found if they didn't train properly on boot (after a bad Overclock setting). I had to start from scratch everytime in order to have successful memory training.

In other words. Before setting this up manually to 6000 or 6200. Clear cmos, then boot into the bios. Your board after clearing CMOS will set up your RAM to the default JDEC speed. Now input the manual settings. Save and reboot.

jackson_lab wrote:
Next thing to try would be lowering frequency just to see if you can boot 6200mhz or 6000mhz. Instead of using XMP. Set to Manual. Set Dram Frequency to 6200mhz. Set DRAM VDD/VDDQ to 1.4. Set timings to 32-39-39-102. Everything else on AUTO. I have these same sticks in a Z690 Apex. I do have them Overclocked to 6800mhz. But the one thing I found if they didn't train properly on boot (after a bad Overclock setting). I had to start from scratch everytime in order to have successful memory training.

In other words. Before setting this up manually to 6000 or 6200. Clear cmos, then boot into the bios. Your board after clearing CMOS will set up your RAM to the default JDEC speed. Now input the manual settings. Save and reboot.

MoKichu has helped me out and all my BSOD errors went away with . couple of firmware updates. He also determined that my rams are not compatible with my motherboard, my mistake as I misread the ram info on the asus website. Ordered a pair of Kingston FURY Renegades and I hope there wont be any future issues with that.

Thanks all for the help!

TapioPix
Level 8
Check that the XMP isn't setting the memory controller voltage too low - I had issues with my new G.Skill DDR5-6000 and XMP until I realised that the memory controller voltage needed to be 1.3-1.4V rather than the 1.1V that was being set by XMP

CHECKBUZZ
Level 7
kalandor wrote:

As one new Asus Zx90 customer to another, all I can say is welcome to your PC nightmare!
You will regret dumping Apple for Asus, I guarantee it

Like me, you will (if you don't already) deeply regret your purchase of an Asus Z690/670 mobo
In a nutshell they are very poorly designed and supported by a company which appears to have given up any pretence of customer service

Just google your mobo model plus XMP/stability problems and you will very quickly realise you made the wrong purchase
There have never not been numerous problems with these mobo's from day one, and from what I can see each new BIOS release seems to make matters worse

Like me, you have paid £350 for a mobo that is unstable and performs worse than a any old £100 mobo that can use an XMP profile
It's not fit for purpose by any objective measure, not that Asus are likely to do anything about it

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but these are simply the facts

CHECKBUZZ wrote:
As one new Asus Zx90 customer to another, all I can say is welcome to your PC nightmare!
You will regret dumping Apple for Asus, I guarantee it

Like me, you will (if you don't already) deeply regret your purchase of an Asus Z690/670 mobo
In a nutshell they are very poorly designed and supported by a company which appears to have given up any pretence of customer service

Just google your mobo model plus XMP/stability problems and you will very quickly realise you made the wrong purchase
There have never not been numerous problems with these mobo's from day one, and from what I can see each new BIOS release seems to make matters worse

Like me, you have paid £350 for a mobo that is unstable and performs worse than a any old £100 mobo that can use an XMP profile
It's not fit for purpose by any objective measure, not that Asus are likely to do anything about it

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but these are simply the facts

Thanks a lot for all the support, It seems I was lucky enough to not have a single problem or crash for the past 7 days!
XMP and everything is working as it should. My 13900k never reached more than 5.5Ghz though, I dont know how to unlock its full single core potential yet.
I was pushing my system to the limits working in C4D, Redshift renders up to 1200 frames at 1440p resolution, fast render times.
Flight Sim 2020 also works great, TAA and ultra settings at 40 fps, which is decent enough for me.
Cyberpunk did not crash either.
Overall I am quite happy 🙂