cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRIME Z790-A WIFI - XMP - HELL ON EARTH

Leonhart
Level 7

I got a very much needed new pc with this motherboard and Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 6000MHz 16GB 2x8GB CL40, when i bought it all on december was working more or less fine.

Now that the memory is cheaper i complete the set with another pair of the same memorys 4x8GB in total

(Its a supported memory btw)

And now hell is set loose, programs were crashing over and over so i returned the memorys for another set but now with the replace is even worse (meaby is the brand new FW 1010 that i updated too), if XMP is up windows blue screens almost instantly at start, with XMP off all seems ok.

I really want to make this work because if i need to replace the motherboard with no pc meanwhile and with all the hours it took me to set all up im just better shooting my head with a gun.

I implore help with this.

PD. English is not my main.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

Mixing and combining memory kits is not recommended. Kits are binned by the vendors in the density in which they are sold. Your best option is to return one or both of the kits and purchase a signal kit at the desired density and speed from the motherboards memory QVL. Alternatively you can try to tune manually, however, there are no assurances on which timings, voltage and frequency you will find stability.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

cekeu
Level 12

But maybe after activating the XMP you could lower in the list choose the lower frequency, I think your motherboard does not accept more than 4 RAM at 4800Mhz until there is no more blue or frozen screens.
If you want 4 memory modules it is better to buy the memories sold in the same package because they are tested to be xmp compatible by the manufacturer and asus.
I see on your card's support page:
Colorful CVPC16G4800D5R8 4x 16GB RAM Speed 4800Mhz Supported Speed 4800Mhz
Colorful CDPC16G4800D5N8 4x 16GB RAM Speed 4800Mhz Supported Speed 4800Mhz

I think you are totally right, it really didnt cross my mind that you cannot do 2x2 of the same.

I broke my Windows and i cant return the first pair, and with 16GB im on the borderline limit because i was expecting to upgrade in the future.

Lose to learn i guess, thank you for your input, you really opened my eyes about the situation.

Thank you, I hope you find a balanced ram. 32 GB (2 x 16) minimum you will be safe for years to come or 64 GB (4 x 16)

(Source: Crucial):
32GB of RAM is the recommended amount of RAM for hardcore gamers, engineers, scientists, and photo or video editing professionals. This amount of RAM allows these RAM-intensive programs to run smoothly, even as your computer ages. So it's not too much, it's just enough.

64GB of RAM is typically recommended for high-end users. If you are a professional user of programs that consume a lot of RAM, such as triple-A games running at high resolutions and frame rates, 3D modeling software, or video editing in 4K or 8k, you may want a future-oriented solution. This is possible by installing at least 64GB of RAM.

32 GB is more than enough for gaming, for the next 8 years.

I barely see more than 12 GB used on AAA titles

piotrpg0819
Level 8

Change the bios to an older one, update if you have a very old one.
Problems with xmp on asus motherboards are caused by bios

I tried all avaliable, its very true, some are much more stable than others, nevertheless all end up in ram errors. 😞

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

Mixing and combining memory kits is not recommended. Kits are binned by the vendors in the density in which they are sold. Your best option is to return one or both of the kits and purchase a signal kit at the desired density and speed from the motherboards memory QVL. Alternatively you can try to tune manually, however, there are no assurances on which timings, voltage and frequency you will find stability.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090