Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post code D6 - white and green light

Walterscheitj
Level 7

Hello,

I'm hoping for some help here. 

Last night after 4 months of flawless operation on a asus tuf z 790 board I got a black screen (most of the time, sometimes display flickered) 

After searching forums and doing all the troubleshooting I know how to do I came to the conclusion something was wrong with the board, as I tried clearing cmos and updating bios, different cards (currently gigabyte rtx 3060 ti) was swapping in an old 1050 ti to see if card was issue, as well as different monitors, keyboard and mouse configurations, swapping all my ram sticks in individually, new gpu power cords, different vga ports on psu. 

This morning I went out and ourchased a new z790 board as I don't have any time to wait for a warranty claim as I run my businesses from this pc and need to get back up and running asap. New board gives code D6 and green and white light. Old board didn't have a code indicator but did have the same lights.

I'm at a loss here. I'm hesitant to say it's gpu because I've swapped in other working gpu and same issue.

Any help is very appreciated!

Thank you

BOARD: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790

INTEL I5 17600K

GIGABYTE RTX 3060 TI

128GB DDR5 RAM

16 REPLIES 16

Nate152

Hello Walterscheitj

Your gpu looks to have a 6-pin and an 8-pin pci power connector, are you using two separate pcie power cables?

Are there any flashing lights on your RTX 3060 ti above the power connectors?

Have you tried different monitor cables, HDMI, Displayport?

I apologize I didn't put this in the post..

Different hdmi cords and ports, even hdmi on board (no display cables at my disposal) 

No lights on gpu

I only have 1 8pin port for what that's worth

I have also tried different pcie slots with same result.

Nate152

Ok, you must have the gigabyte rtx 3060ti gaming oc (rev 1.0).

Above the 8-pin power connector on the gpu there is a light, a solid white light means the gpu is getting sufficient power.

Does the light come on at all when you try to start your pc?

A flashing light or no light could indicate a power issue.

What psu are you using?

3060 ti gaming oc.png

This is the correct card.

No light at all. I've gotten a flash now ans then from the light when pc powers on. 

Psu is EVGA 850 super nova GT GOLD 

Il note that for a few months this set up has worked flawlessly. It's not a new set up for what that's worth.

Nate152

Would you have another psu to test with or are you able to try your gpu in another pc?

Tested old 550w psu (system approximately 526) 

Still same code and lights

I suppose at this point I should just bite the bullet and purchase a new gpu? 🥲

Nate152

It would be a good idea to have your gpu tested before purchasing a new one.