cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pc shuts off and turns back again on when Windows 10 was loading,getting devices read

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Hi pc:

12900K with NZXT KRAKEN X73

2x16GB DDR4 KINGSTON DDR4 3600MHZ in GEAR 1

RTX 3090 Ti Gigabyte Gaming

Z690 DDR

SSD 1 TB NVM PCIE

Seasonic Px 1300W Platinum Prime

I went from Z490 and 10850K to 12900K and Z690 Elite DDR4. Windows 10 is installed on SSD from 10850K build.When new pc booted i enabled in GEAR 1 XMP ( 3600 mhz ). Then i rebooted to UEFI again without issues.

Then i reboot pc again and when windows 10 was loading ,pc shutts off ( heard psu click ) and turns back on again. And second time it booted to Windows 10 normally.

Is my pc fine?

Why pc shuts off ( OFF heard psu click) and turns back again on first time,when windows 10 was loading ? Pc shuts down and boot itself up. Not typical reboot.

It happened before Windows 10 boot <%>Getting devices ready.
But why it shutdown ( i heard a click from psu ) and then reboot itself?comes back automatically

Windows 10 working now normally no issues , but just asking about that. Thank you so much my friends.
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
After changing memory speeds you might get a complete reset with the power clicking off. That's normal.

However, if it keeps happening I remember you also had an incident with your previous system. A reoccurring problem spanning multiple computers could indicate an issue with the wiring in your home. As I've mentioned previously I would highly recommend having a UPS to help condition the power and provide a battery backup. That would be far preferable to having any of your hardware damaged.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Yes i know it can turn off, click and reboot after changing memory speed. But i said it happened again,just before windows 10 loaded first time,before Getting devices ready.

Nate152
Hi Ipiotrowski211,

During the windows 10 install, it's not uncommon for a couple reboots.

If all is working well now, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Just so you know, you can upgrade to windows 11 for free.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Ipiotrowski211,

During the windows 10 install, it's not uncommon for a couple reboots.

If all is working well now, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Just so you know, you can upgrade to windows 11 for free.

So even if it shutdown once ( i heard psu click ) and reboot on its own?

Nate152
Well, apparently it was normal procedure, I wouldn't stress over it if everything is working ok.

If you have random shutdowns, then it would be time to investigate.

BigJohnny
Level 13
PSU shouldnt click during software install. If it reboots on its own after PSU shuts down and restarts there is a setting in the BIOS to restart on power failure. May have been a utility problem that was coincidental unless you are running a UPS.

PSU shutting down isnt normal but several reboots while detecting hardware is normal.

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
So why it happened once just before windows loaded? I heard psu click and pc rebooted on its own. I am on windows 10 testing games and no shutdowns.

lpiotrowski211 wrote:
So why it happened once just before windows loaded? I heard psu click and pc rebooted on its own. I am on windows 10 testing games and no shutdowns.

I had the same symptoms you describe - audible click of relay from the PSU (same when PC turns on/off) and computer shuts down completely, then turns back on again (with another click). It turned out to be a faulty PSU- it was overheating in ECO mode, a mode where PSU fan is not always on.

The above suggestions are good. One more idea - you said that your Windows SSD is from an earlier build - different processor and motherboard. I would be tempted to do a fresh install of Windows 10 or Windows 11 as you prefer. That will make sure that you don't have any old drivers or software hanging about that could cause problems. Obviously, if everything is stored on a single SSD than take some time to make sure that you save website favourites, documents, software licenses, passwords etc before you start the process. Also take the opportunity to update the BIOS and grab all of the latest drivers from the motherboard support page.

Even better, also take an image of your existing SSD onto other storage with free software like Macrium Reflect before you begin (don't forget to create a Macrium boot USB in case you need to use it). If you hit problems or forgot to copy some files, then you always have the option of restoring the image and going back to where you were.

Even if your problems are nothing to do with Windows, a fresh install every few months is a good way to keep everything running well and get rid of accumulated junk. That's why I keep all of my documents on separate drives - it makes reinstallation a lot simpler and faster.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.