cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Freezes trying to install windows. Will post.

MaKo82
Level 9
My PC boots into the BIOS just fine. All my drives, cpu and memory seem to be running fine. Currently running memtest and so far no errors. I have a boot disk (USB) to install windows and the farthest i've gotten is inputting the Key. then the PC locks up and is frozen.

BIOS has not been updated, its a brand new out of box MB Strix Z790E, i9 13900K, Corsair 7200 Vengence.

This is the second USB That i have tried and I'm getting the same result. Any ideas?
53 REPLIES 53

JBBlack
Level 8
Had this issue one time.

Make sure everything including any CD ROMs, hot-swap trays, USB ports and devices, are unplugged, That means EVERY THING. Use ONLY the drive that you are installing windows on! ALL other drives removed/unhooked from mobo. Make sure your new drive is clean, any other previous partitions deleted!!

Install windows Fresh from a USB only.

I had this issue one time and could not figure it out, even after I was finally able to install windows it would freeze and BSOD while trying to install motherboard drivers.

it was ONE bad SATA cable (that was new out of the box) and a defective/dodgy USB extension cable.
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+

panzlock
Level 12
This also seems to be a somewhat common issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-constantly-crashing/f71b5bf6-2b12-4...
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

MaKo82
Level 9
I resorted to trying Win 10 as well because I heard the installer is having issues, same deal.

MaKo82 wrote:
I resorted to trying Win 10 as well because I heard the installer is having issues, same deal.

That's what I read on that forum, and why I posted the link.

Seems several individuals, on various types of systems (not sure if Intel or AMD, but PC and laptop) installed W11 which began crashing soon thereafter (days, weeks, etc..). They then attempted to reinstall W10 which exhibited similar behaviour.

Try this, maybe: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-mother-board-problems-with-windows-11/a819...
It indicates what settings BIOS should be in prior to install.

I also recommend trying Linux as John Ab suggested if nothing is working. Seems like replacing components and trying them in different systems is not revealing the exact source of the problem. And just making sure, when you tested with a single RAM stick, did you try each of them in different RAM slots, or always in the same one? The primary drive on which you are installing is NVMe?

I'm not leaving this thread until this is solved... Or I die... Or the wife needs me to open a jar!!!
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

MaKo82
Level 9
Haha! Appreciate it. I did try single sticks, but not in different slot. Still not convinced it's the ram. memtest came back with passing results when I ran it.

I also tried both NVMe drives I have alone , and in different slots, same issue. Different USB ports with different USBs.

The only thing left that I'm not really able to test is the CPU. Thus why I said F it and are replacing it. Bit of an easy way out, also peace of mind. That should take a week or so to get back to me.

MaKo82
Level 9
Got the replacement CPU installed. Windows installed without any issues. Actually replying from the new rig. Not sure what was the issue with it, but it works.

tomersa
Level 7
I have problem with freezing also but it started just 4 days ago on already working system. I've installed my new system Asus MB Z690-F, i9 13900K, Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz, etc. 3 month ago and it all run fine until 4 days ago. Windows 11 just started to freeze after about 2 minutes every time it booted up. If I ran it in safe mode, it surprisingly worked all day long without problem. So I figured it must be something with windows services when they are loading after booting up. Moving on, I have decided to reinstall windows, but every time windows installation freeze. Sometimes right at a start, sometimes at around 20%, couple of times even at around 70%, but more often at 1%. I've also tried Windows 10 and one time it even freezed at 100%. I've tried everything, SSD from my old system, change two sticks of memory in and out, reseated CPU. Nothing is connected to system, only CPU, RAM and one SSD. I've reflashed BIOS, downgraded it to earlier version. Nothing seems to work. Any other suggestions before I RMA CPU or MB.

tomersa
Level 7
I forgot to mention that i've had similar freeze of windows about 2 weeks ago also. When I came from work, computer was frozen at desktop. I've restarted and it froze again at desktop and that happend two or three more times, but after that it worked again with no problem until 4 days ago.
Right now I've tried to install windows 11 again, but first I've cleared CMOS. Funny thing happened at install... i've got a message that This PC can't run Windows 11. After reboot installation went without this message, but it froze again.
MaKo82 where did you bought your CPU?

tomersa wrote:
I forgot to mention that i've had similar freeze of windows about 2 weeks ago also. When I came from work, computer was frozen at desktop. I've restarted and it froze again at desktop and that happend two or three more times, but after that it worked again with no problem until 4 days ago.
Right now I've tried to install windows 11 again, but first I've cleared CMOS. Funny thing happened at install... i've got a message that This PC can't run Windows 11. After reboot installation went without this message, but it froze again.
MaKo82 where did you bought your CPU?

I bought majority of my parts from B&H (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/). They have had a really good, extended return policy for Christmas so that made it a little bit easier troubleshooting this problem.

Your problem sounds almost identical to mine except you would make it farther in the install process than me, and all my parts are new. Mine would never make it past 10%, and would more often freeze before that.

JohnAb
Level 17
MaKo82 - great that you finally found the problem. Faulty CPU, wow. Not easy to identify unless you have a spare to hand. Anyway, good job.

tomersa - if it was running all day in safe mode, then I was going to suggest that your problems must be drivers or software. But it sounds like you can't even reinstall Windows again right? So now I'm thinking that perhaps something has developed a fault or has become loose. Have you tried re-inserting all of your connections. plugs, drives etc etc. I think it will be the same advice, you're going to have to try and eliminate one thing at a time - start by having the minimum number of devices connected and then try and change the keyboard, mouse, OS drive, monitor etc. I know some of those things are very unlikely, but at least you can start to eliminate possible causes. With problems like this, it will take some time. You could also try Linux and see what happens. At least it would give confidence that the CPU is probably OK (or not).

In your case, because it was working before, then I think you can already eliminate the BIOS and ME firmware. At least that's a start.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.