cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Freezes trying to install windows. Will post.

MaKo82
Level 9
My PC boots into the BIOS just fine. All my drives, cpu and memory seem to be running fine. Currently running memtest and so far no errors. I have a boot disk (USB) to install windows and the farthest i've gotten is inputting the Key. then the PC locks up and is frozen.

BIOS has not been updated, its a brand new out of box MB Strix Z790E, i9 13900K, Corsair 7200 Vengence.

This is the second USB That i have tried and I'm getting the same result. Any ideas?
53 REPLIES 53

JohnAb
Level 17
Oh, that's unfortunate. I take the same view - why would it all seem OK in BIOS and then crash during Windows install - I thought the BIOS might have fixed it.

Have you tired a different USB stick and a different USB port?

If that doesn't work, I would now go back to the Linux idea. It might provide some further clues. Just download Ubuntu, burn to a USB and boot from that. Let us know what happens next. Seems like this is a tricky issue...

Then go through every connection to the motherboard and CPU - make sure that all connections are correct and that plugs are fully pushed in. Also try re-seating the RAM modules. You could also lift the CPU and look for any any dirt or debris under it also I suppose. Replace the thermal paste and don't over-tighten the cooler.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

panzlock
Level 12
Not sure if you tried already but try the installation with only one RAM stick at a time.

What about your main drive? Everything tip top there? I had posting issues when my secondary was failing. Imagine installation on a faulty primary drive might be an issue, as well.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

MaKo82
Level 9
When I initially built the rig, everything booted up fine and was running for about 8 hours. Updated the BIOS and ran some benchmarking tests, temps were well within normal. Then randomly when I powered up the machine, it would not load into Windows. It froze. Restarted and and continued down the path I am now. I had the MB replaced with the same model and immediately ran into the exact same issue,. Sometimes it freezes immediatel past the splash screen, other times I can get in the very beginning stages of the OS install. Ran memtest in the BIOS, memory came back clean. Ran each stick individually and still same issue. Can get into BIOS with no problem.

The last variable is the CPU, I'm not really able to test it unless I drop it in another rig or try another in my MB. It's been about a couple weeks now and I've decided to return it for a replacement since it's within the policy. I realize its not really solving the problem, but I don't want to wait any longer and miss a return window and have to wait longer. I'll report back once the new one is installed. Appreciate everyones help trying to brainstorm.

panzlock
Level 12
Try to boot in safe mode.

Failing this, I would also connect the drive to another PC to ensure it functions properly. Otherwise, probably a BIOS/Driver problem conflict with Windows.

MaKo82
Level 9
How would I boot into safe mode if I can't install Windows?

MaKo82 wrote:
How would I boot into safe mode if I can't install Windows?

My mistake. Thought you were trying to reinstall because W11 was giving you problems, but you still had original installation but unable to load due to freezing.

Let's go back a while. The problem occurred shortly after you assembled and ran your new PC, with W11 freezing when the PC was booting, right?

So now the drive is completely empty, formatted, etc...???

I just want it to be clear to me while I troubleshoot.

I'm old. You understand.

I am still leaning toward drive issues or BIOS/Drivers.

panzlock wrote:
My mistake. Thought you were trying to reinstall because W11 was giving you problems, but you still had original installation but unable to load due to freezing.

Let's go back a while. The problem occurred shortly after you assembled and ran your new PC, with W11 freezing when the PC was booting, right?

So now the drive is completely empty, formatted, etc...???

I just want it to be clear to me while I troubleshoot.

I'm old. You understand.

I am still leaning toward drive issues or BIOS/Drivers.

Yes, drive is formatted. I put it back I'm my other rig and it works completely fine.

I went through all the normal steps of unplugging everything non-essential only to be met with the same issue.

JohnAb
Level 17
Yeah, safe mode only an option if Windows is installed I believe. Can't remember if there is an option to install Windows with minimal drivers?

Did you try a Linux boot yet? I still think that would provide some more clues - at least see if you can get as far as the desktop.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb
Level 17
We're all getting old panzlock lol. The years just keep flying past...

JohnAb wrote:
We're all getting old panzlock lol. The years just keep flying past...

I know, but some of us are farther down the line. As I age I am concerned about only two things. My memory...and my hair. Both concerns are attached to my cranium.

I have another suggestion (if not yet pursued) that could eliminate the primary drive as a potential culprit. If available, connect the drive to a different PC and try to install W11 using that system. And if it works, reconnect it to your new system and then you could boot in safe mode, potentially revealing more about what is plaguing the congregation.

The Linux idea is also a good one. But as it is not mine, I am reluctant to give credit.