cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Freezes trying to install windows. Will post.

MaKo82
Level 9
My PC boots into the BIOS just fine. All my drives, cpu and memory seem to be running fine. Currently running memtest and so far no errors. I have a boot disk (USB) to install windows and the farthest i've gotten is inputting the Key. then the PC locks up and is frozen.

BIOS has not been updated, its a brand new out of box MB Strix Z790E, i9 13900K, Corsair 7200 Vengence.

This is the second USB That i have tried and I'm getting the same result. Any ideas?
53 REPLIES 53

Hello, I care about you and your post has been scaring me for days, we need to move something on your hardware to see if anything changes!

1. Let's start with what Panzlock indicated, leave only one of the memory sticks.
2. Remove all peripherals, leave only keyboard and mouse connected.
3. Remove all other hard drives connected, leave only the HD SSD that will install, is this a new drive? Never been used before?
4. From a Default BIOS.
5. Make a Windows install USB stick using Rufus v3.21, with nothing checked in your customization settings.
6. Install, when you enter the screen to choose the location to install Windows, choose the drive click on it and Format, then choose next and let's see if it works.

PS.: It occurs to me that you might be having problems with that installation unit, that's why I ask you if it's a new unit, you can try another unit if it doesn't work after that,... or it could be the temperature, but I think if If it were temperature, your computer would reset...

Keep us posted, we'll work it out, have faith!

3DGuru wrote:
... or it could be the temperature, but I think if If it were temperature, your computer would reset...

I had similar issues when reinstalling Windows 10 on an old laptop. The installation would stop around the same interval three times in a row before I figured out that it was overheating. But again, the laptop just restarted so I imagine this is NOT that cause of your issue. I think it will be the memory or the primary drive on which you are installing the OS, but it wouldn't hurt to ensure your CPU is getting adequate cooling as it does have to break a bit of a sweat during installation, I imagine.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

JohnAb
Level 17
Just go a Linux download page - Ubuntu is easy to use. Download the image, burn the iso to a USB and just boot from that. Select the 'live' option. It won't install anything unless you select 'install' once fully booted, but you can still use the OS. Nothing to be afraid of and if you are going to be installing Windows again anyway, even if you do proper install, you can just remove any partitions when you reinstall Windows again. I don't know if you might be able to find out anything useful of not, but even knowing if Linux will boot probably eliminates CPU problems.

If Linux won't boot either, then I would think that you do have a CPU, memory or maybe GPU problem. It might just help to start eliminating possible causes for your problems. Have you tried removing the GPU and using just the internal graphics? I think it's going to be a case of eliminating one thing at a time until you find the culprit.

Forgot to say, since Linux is not a Microsoft 'approved' OS, you might need to turn off Secure Boot and allow 'Other OS' in your UEFI/BIOS options for it to work.

One last suggestion, forgetting Linux for a moment, might be worth flashing the latest BIOS. Looks like 0703 is correct for your board. I don't have a Z790 so I don't know the BIOS history myself, but as far as I know that version is stable and it might have some microcode that gives better stability while you install Windows. Perhaps somebody else here can suggest what BIOS they have found to be good. In your case, you will have to update the BIOS before ME. That could cause a temporary problem seeing one of the M.2 slots, so you might need find one that works. Hopefully that won't be the case. Once you have Windows working, you can update ME afterwards and all will be well.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

MaKo82
Level 9
I've had the GPU removed this while time. The GPU also works perfectly fine in my other rig.

If the CPU or memory were the problem, would it still show as working in BIOS? Memtest came back with nothing when I ran it, and even so, the CPU was warm during the process but never jumped above 50c

JohnAb
Level 17
OK, then see my last post (I just edited it). I think updating the BIOS is a good thing to try next. Don't lose hope, you might have a hardware failure, but I think it's unlikely based on what you say.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

MaKo82
Level 9
Ok, I'll give that a shot and report back. At work currently so it will be a while. Appreciate the help.

panzlock
Level 12
This could be your problem: https://tech.hindustantimes.com/tech/news/microsoft-windows-11-installation-crashes-rise-as-screen-o...

I'd install Windows 10 or Linux.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

MaKo82
Level 9
I've also tried Windows 10. I usually get a little farther, but the install process still locks 5% into it. Again, still is random freezes at different points

JohnAb
Level 17
Report back when you have tried the latest BIOS then....

MaKo82
Level 9
unfortunately, same issue after updating the BIOS.

If its hardware, CPU or RAM, why be working normally in BIOS? I know its not the MB, I replaced it because of the same issue. Both NVME are working fine when I put them in my original rig.