cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC booting itself up / not shutting down after BIOS Update

ERMxIN
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I have the ASUS Z790 Extreme mainboard, which I have updated to the current BIOS 0813. I did everything as advised, so I did the Intel ME Update before updating the BIOS. Before the update, I've been using Wake on Lan (Power On By PCI-E) and now it's impossible for me, because everytime I shut down the PC, it boots up again several seconds again on its own. After turning off Power On By PCI-E and turning on ErP ready it mostly stays shutdown as long as I don't boot it up, but sometimes directly after shutting down it boots up again till I shut it down the second time. This is really confusing and frustrating.

What I've done so far:
-I tried reinstalling the new BIOS again
-I tried to install the old BIOS, but this is not possible obviously

Any ideas what else I could/should do?
Does anyone else have the same issue as I do?
Is there as way to downgrade the BIOS to the old version?

Thank you all in advance!
Kind regards
8 REPLIES 8

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Does the system still wake after changing the following?

Device Manager > Network Adapters > Intel 266-V > Power Management > tick Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

ERMxIN
Level 7
I just tried it out, but it boots up again when power on by PCIE-E is active. I even tried the same setting for the Marvel Network Adapter, since I’m using the 10G port, but still the same result, after several seconds, it boots up again.

Is there a way to downgrade to the old BIOS? Cause the old one didn’t cause this problem. *

ermin.lizde wrote:
I just tried it out, but it boots up again when power on by PCIE-E is active. I even tried the same setting for the Marvel Network Adapter, since I’m using the 10G port, but still the same result, after several seconds, it boots up again.

Is there a way to downgrade to the old BIOS? Cause the old one didn’t cause this problem. *

To confirm, is the system being shut down or being sent to S3 Resume sleep state?

You can try opening CMD as Administrator and typing: powercfg -lastwake

This may give you a process or service which caused the last power resume.

USB Flashback can be used depending on which BIOS revision you wish to return to.

ERMxIN
Level 7
How can I find out if it’s sent to S3?*

*This is what powercfg*-lastwake gives out (it’s German)*
Aktivierungsverlaufsanzahl - 1
Aktivierungsverlauf [0]
Aktivierungsquellanzahl - 0

I dont see any process or service if I see correctly.*
Is USB Flashback also used my utilizing a USB stick and using EZ flash?
Because I get an error message unfortunately *

ermin.lizde wrote:
How can I find out if it’s sent to S3?*

*This is what powercfg*-lastwake gives out (it’s German)*
Aktivierungsverlaufsanzahl - 1
Aktivierungsverlauf [0]
Aktivierungsquellanzahl - 0

I dont see any process or service if I see correctly.*
Is USB Flashback also used my utilizing a USB stick and using EZ flash?
Because I get an error message unfortunately *

S3 is putting the system to sleep, and not shutting down the system.

No, USB Flashback is using a USB drive in the port outlined on the motherboard's rear IO panel. This is a completely different process from EZ Flash. Depending on the UEFI revision you're attempting to flash to, it may not be possible (this is due to changes to Intel's ME Firmware and security updates).

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/

ERMxIN
Level 7
So I played a little bit with the settings in the device manager and I’ve found out it’s the 10GB Marvell network adapter, that’s causing this issue. So I turned off the option for booting up the system in the power management for the Marvel adapter and turned it on for the Intel adapter. Now I’m able to use my PC as before and it doesn’t boot by accident whenever it wants to.*

Obviously something between the BIOS update and the current Marvel network adapter drivers is not working properly and someone should check in on this. Where can I report this? Is this something Asus needs to solve or Marvell? It would be great if I can use the 10Gb in the future again. *

ermin.lizde wrote:
So I played a little bit with the settings in the device manager and I’ve found out it’s the 10GB Marvell network adapter, that’s causing this issue. So I turned off the option for booting up the system in the power management for the Marvel adapter and turned it on for the Intel adapter. Now I’m able to use my PC as before and it doesn’t boot by accident whenever it wants to.*

Obviously something between the BIOS update and the current Marvel network adapter drivers is not working properly and someone should check in on this. Where can I report this? Is this something Asus needs to solve or Marvell? It would be great if I can use the 10Gb in the future again. *

Glad you found the problem. If already using V3.1.7.0 from the support page for the 10Gb NIC, I would check here for any later driver https://www.marvell.com/support/downloads.html

ERMxIN
Level 7
I already have the most current driver installed, V3.1.7.0. Seems like I have to wait.*
Thank you! *