cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overheating chipset.

NotHarry
Level 7
I have had a lot of trouble with my new 'Asus rog strix z690-A Gaming wifi D4' motherboard. My latest problem is a chipset that idles at 60c+.
I want to strip the heatsink for chipset in order to reseat it but you have this daft piece of plastic over the heatsink that has a cable tie attached to it, and I don't know how to remove it.
Have any of you guys striped the northbridge heat sink from one of these boards, how do you get the piece of plastic off first?
97 REPLIES 97

Adrian1983 wrote:

Yes I reinstalled the plastic above the plastic heatsink shroud, On my board the PCIE release is a different part to the bottom plastic shroud so I just screwed that back and that is still working.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. The info will be very helpful when it is time to dis-assemble my motherboard.

PauloPanda wrote:
Thanks. The info will be very helpful when it is time to dis-assemble my motherboard.

No problem glad to help.

JohnAb
Level 17
Adrian - great job and thanks for updates and photos. So you are getting 53C with a fan as well, correct?

If that's the case then I probably won't remove the heatsink (not yet anyway). I'm getting 56-59C on my Hero (also with a fan) so I might not get such a big benefit. Mind you, I'll do it if I have to remove the motherboard anyway for some reason.

Out of interest, what do you get if you turn your fan off?

Just turned my little PCH fan pack off to see what happens. Motherboard temp increases from 22C to 30C. PCH up from 57C to 70C.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
Adrian - great job and thanks for updates and photos. So you are getting 53C with a fan as well, correct?

If that's the case then I probably won't remove the heatsink (not yet anyway). I'm getting 56-59C on my Hero (also with a fan) so I might not get such a big benefit. Mind you, I'll do it if I have to remove the motherboard anyway for some reason.

Out of interest, what do you get if you turn your fan off?

Just turned my little PCH fan pack off to see what happens. Motherboard temp increases from 22C to 30C. PCH up from 57C to 70C.

To be honest only a few C difference, Because it's only a little fan and I want it inaudible less than 1000rpm it goes up to 3200rpm.

It can shave about 5c off with the fan full whack, With the fan totally off and the rest of my case fans on when gaming it doesn't go over 50-51c now, Previously it would go to mid 70's and 80 in the summer so was a massive difference for me.

JohnAb
Level 17
Ok thanks. Just goes to prove what an amazing difference plastic removal and decent pads make. Appreciate your answer, I'm getting much closer to doing the same now 🙂
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
Ok thanks. Just goes to prove what an amazing difference plastic removal and decent pads make. Appreciate your answer, I'm getting much closer to doing the same now 🙂

Yeah easy enough to do on the Strix Gaming A anyway at least, hope yours goes well.

IT_Troll
Level 10
Did my Z690-G. This is a mATX board and so has a much smaller heatsink which is half covered by the GPU. I replaced the factory pad with 1.5mm Thermalright Thermal Pad Odyssey and also removed the plastic cover. In this case it is a decorative acrylic panel which has been glued to the heatsink. The heatsink has a hole cut into it through which the RGB can shine to the acrylic panel. So Asus has reduced the thermal mass of the heatsink and clad it in a thermal insulator, for the sake of RGB. 😞

The longest part of the job was removing the hard glue from the heatsink. I am still using a small silent fan and have small under volt. After 2 hours of use, the PCH is now idling at 62C (a reduction of 13C). The combination of the modifications is a vast improvement from the 100C I was seeing as supplied from factory.

Factory-fitted Pad

Decorative Panel Removed

IT Troll wrote:
After 2 hours of use, the PCH is now idling at 62C (a reduction of 13C). The combination of the modifications is a vast improvement from the 100C I was seeing as supplied from factory.

That is a HUGE improvement! 😄

IT Troll wrote:
Did my Z690-G. This is a mATX board and so has a much smaller heatsink which is half covered by the GPU. I replaced the factory pad with 1.5mm Thermalright Thermal Pad Odyssey and also removed the plastic cover. In this case it is a decorative acrylic panel which has been glued to the heatsink. The heatsink has a hole cut into it through which the RGB can shine to the acrylic panel. So Asus has reduced the thermal mass of the heatsink and clad it in a thermal insulator, for the sake of RGB. 😞

The longest part of the job was removing the hard glue from the heatsink. I am still using a small silent fan and have small under volt. After 2 hours of use, the PCH is now idling at 62C (a reduction of 13C). The combination of the modifications is a vast improvement from the 100C I was seeing as supplied from factory.

Factory-fitted Pad

Decorative Panel Removed

Massive improvement, That pad looks different to my stock one also, Mines a dark grey with fibres coming out of it at the edges, Explains the temp difference, Either way they are both cheap pads they were using, Excellent result.

Adrian1983 wrote:
That pad looks different to my stock one also, Mines a dark grey with fibres coming out of it at the edges, Explains the temp difference, Either way they are both cheap pads they were using,

Ah yes, I can see that in your photo. Definitely no fibres like that on my factory pad, it was quite soft and spongy. The Thermalright pad I replaced it with is quite similar, although rated at 12.8 W/mK. I think the glued on acrylic cover was a significant factor with my motherboard.