cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overheating chipset.

NotHarry
Level 7
I have had a lot of trouble with my new 'Asus rog strix z690-A Gaming wifi D4' motherboard. My latest problem is a chipset that idles at 60c+.
I want to strip the heatsink for chipset in order to reseat it but you have this daft piece of plastic over the heatsink that has a cable tie attached to it, and I don't know how to remove it.
Have any of you guys striped the northbridge heat sink from one of these boards, how do you get the piece of plastic off first?
97 REPLIES 97

Adrian1983 wrote:
I removed the original and reinstalled a 2mm piece of Gelid GP extreme left the plastic shroud off and put it all back together and I am so glad I did it now! I've just put my case fans on as they were on minimum and now it's idling at 52c been on an hour, The fact the fans are making a difference now just goes to show all the heat was trapped and no fan was making any difference previously but now it's so much better! hope this helps anyone.

Just ordered some thermal pads (Thermalright Thermal Pad Odyssey II). Will be replacing them when I upgrade my CPU from 12th Gen to 13th Gen. Giving the 12th Gen to my daughter. 😄

Planned to remove the plastic shroud as well.

Will update here when done.

Adrian1983 wrote:
wow what a difference! I've gone from like 70c idle to the mid 50's, Doesn't even go anywhere near 60c now, When I first booted the system it was in the low 40's it's never been that low before and that's without a fan as well, the pad Asus was using was rubbish.

Thanks for the update. I'm going to have to do mine now. Did you tighten the fixing screws more when re-attaching, or just try to match how it was originally?

PauloPanda wrote:
Just ordered some thermal pads (Thermalright Thermal Pad Odyssey II).

I've gone for that too. Went for the 1.5mm version.

IT Troll wrote:
Thanks for the update. I'm going to have to do mine now. Did you tighten the fixing screws more when re-attaching, or just try to match how it was originally?

I've gone for that too. Went for the 1.5mm version.

Mine originally were pretty tight to be honest so I just did the same again to be fair, I do have better thermal pads the Gelid ultimate which do have slightly better thermal properties but the pads are stiff, One thing I have learned from doing the Vram on the 3080's is it was a bit of a nightmare trying to balance the contact area between the core and the vram with stiff pads so that's why I got Gelid GP extremes they are way way softer pads and mould better.

In saying that you only need one surface area for the chipset so I probably could have used the ultimates and shaved a few more degrees off but as it is i'm now idling at 53c from 70-72c so I am extremely happy with that.

let us know how you get on.

Update forgot to say i'm now seeing temps when I first boot to windows in the 30's 39c never I have ever seen these sort of temps before changing the thermal pad for a quality one, I used to always see in the 50'sC when first booting up that says how cheap quality the stock pads are.96495

PauloPanda wrote:
Just ordered some thermal pads (Thermalright Thermal Pad Odyssey II). Will be replacing them when I upgrade my CPU from 12th Gen to 13th Gen. Giving the 12th Gen to my daughter. 😄

Planned to remove the plastic shroud as well.

Will update here when done.

it doesn't look bad at all without the plastic, imo it actually looks better and now there is flat space to attach a little fan also which I ended up doing in the end after the mod and now i'm idling at 53c, huge difference from the 70's

Let us know how you get on mate.

Adrian1983
Level 11
A few more pics of the process and finished heatsink without the plastic shroud, I think it looks better without, Whether that's made any difference to the cooling I've no Idea but you can feel the chipset very warm now which means the heat is being extracted from the chipset far better now

Weird the pics I took with my phone won't upload, I'll have to transfer them to my desktop.

JohnAb
Level 17
Thank you PauloPanda 🙂 Adrian - Sounds good. That's a big difference, thanks for letting us know
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
Thank you PauloPanda 🙂 Adrian - Sounds good. That's a big difference, thanks for letting us know

No problem your welcome.

Adrian1983
Level 11
I should add there is actually only 2 screws holding the heatsink to the chipset the rest are because of the plastic shroud, Just be careful with those adhesive rubber washers and make sure they're reinstalled, Some of them can peel off when you're removing the the shroud 965109651196512and plastic and get stuck to the thing you're removing.

Adrian1983 wrote:
I should add there is actually only 2 screws holding the heatsink to the chipset the rest are because of the plastic shroud, Just be careful with those adhesive rubber washers and make sure they're reinstalled, Some of them can peel off when you're removing the shroud and plastic and get stuck to the thing you're removing.

Thanks for the updates. Just a few clarifications:

• What is the thickness of the thermal pads that you used? 1.5mm or 2mm? Will 2mm be better due to compression and better contact?
  • Any wiring or LED in the plastic shroud that we should be aware of?
  • After removing the shroud, the PCIe quick release button (i.e., to move the latch for quick release of the GPU) still working?

Thanks.

PauloPanda wrote:
Thanks for the updates. Just a few clarifications:

• What is the thickness of the thermal pads that you used? 1.5mm or 2mm? Will 2mm be better due to compression and better contact?
  • Any wiring or LED in the plastic shroud that we should be aware of?
  • After removing the shroud, the PCIe quick release button (i.e., to move the latch for quick release of the GPU) still working?

Thanks.

No problem your welcome, Well it looks like 2mm to me because I held my Gelid pad next to it before removing it and it did look like 2mm to allow for compression I would probably use that, Not sure if 1.5mm would make much difference but you certainly don't want a non contacting gap in between the pad and the little block on the heatsink as there are little rubber blocks on the underneath of the heatsink for protecting the chipset from crush damage.

On my Strix Z690 Gaming A there is no RGB there so it was very easy for me, I'm not sure about other boards which have RGB there.

Yes I reinstalled the plastic above the plastic heatsink shroud, On my board the PCIE release is a different part to the bottom plastic shroud so I just screwed that back and that is still working.

Hope this helps.