cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking Z690 question (how to reverse it)

Crasje
Level 12

Hi,

I currently have some items set in my BIOS (non OC things). I have seen 2 video's and see that it is very simple to turn OC on. 

They suggest to then do a stresstest. What if you are not happy with that result and want to go back to what you have before?

Is that also a button for that? Or do you need to save a profile and load that if you are not happy?

Suggestions appreciated.

Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1300W ATX
Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme
Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum RGB 2x32GB 5600Mhz
Samsung 980 PRO 2TB M.2 SSD (2x)
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
Monitor 1: ROG STRIX XG349C
Monitor 2: Samsung HDTV T27D590
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉
9 REPLIES 9

Murph_9000
Level 14

Either F5, load optimised defaults, which will completely reset the BIOS config; or use the BIOS profiles to save and load configs while experimenting.  There is no undo type of operation after you save settings, just the profiles.  You can also save the profiles to USB, to preserve them when flashing the BIOS or if you want to save your best/important config, etc.

Ok thanks. I had hoped UEFI (just like Intel Extreme Tuning Utility) allowed you to go back with the same button as you set the OC.

I have created 2 profiles (with XMP and without XMP) on the MOBO. As mentioned by Silicon_Scone, I got my PC preconfigured and there are more settings done in my BIOS. Since I don't know what exactly, I am hesitant do use CMOS (since my PC is running very stable now which an awesome base to start from).

I find that when I use Intel to overclock and stress test, my system is stable but thermal throttling becomes active. I understand that undervolting can help with that process.

It hasn't become any easier..... 🙂

Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉

Hello,

On these boards AI OC rules are fairly tight, often it leaves little room for improvement doing things manually.

Of course, AI OC doesn't aid with memory overclocking. Are you experiencing instability when simply enabling XMP?

Of course this is not fo memory overclocking

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

A couple of tips for you which may help.  Some settings where you can enter a value (or one is set by another function), you can type the value "Auto" to return it to the BIOS default.  Second, you can find out what's changed vs. defaults by loading optimised defaults, but not hitting OK on the save and exit prompt.  I.e. load defaults, select save, and you get a list of changes with an option to save or cancel; that list is all of your non-default settings.  If there are a lot of changes, you can scroll through the list with the up and down arrow keys.  Save your settings to a profile beforehand for safety, but just cancel saving the changes and use the other option to discard changes and exit.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Given your preoccupation earlier with not wanting to reset the UEFI for fear of losing something, your best bet is to use the OC Profile menu. However, when changing between configs it's best to first clear the UEFI. Use the Clear CMOS on the motherboard rear I/O to do so.

I noticed that my 12900K has a higher temperature when idle, when I test overclock via the Intel extreme tuning utility, it thermal throttles very frequently.

So I have another hurdle to take first and try to get that temperature down first.

Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉

If a repaste and remount doesn't solve it, consider using one of the contact frames available on the market to help with consistent mounting pressure.

I was looking into that 😀, the Thermal Grizzly seems to be popular. Does it work well with the Ryujin? Any suggestions?

Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉

Yes, the contact frame will be compatible with the Ryujin. It's a replacement for Intel's CPU support bracket. Just be sure to follow the installation instructions to avoid over-torquing the frame.