cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFFICIAL Bios ver. 2004 will not allow bios flashback THREAD

mr_allroy
Level 9
Hi all,

It looks like at least a couple of us have an issue flashing back to earlier bios with ver. 2004. Both with the UEFI method and the usb flash back will not work (3 usb drives and none worked). The bios setting to allow this is enabled. I have a Z690 Hero.

If you have this issue please reply to this thread so we can keep all the info in one thread. It will help if you list your MB model as well.

Thanks
( I should also note that the voltage issues found in ver 1720 appear to be fixed in 2004.)

UPDATE - It seems that real time ram timings can't be changed using Memtweakit or any other tool. Was working on 1601. Can anyone else confirm this?
163 REPLIES 163

I do *not* know what fixed it, but I thought I would share this in case someone else might benefit.

On another board it was suggested (among other things) that I clear the CMOS and that it might be PSU cap problems. I have a ROG Thor 850W that is way overpowered for this setup (so far) and Asus brags about it having 100% Japanese (Hitachi) capacitors, so I didn't think that was likely. But I tried both clearing the CMOS and changing the CMOS battery and those didn't fix it, so I popped for a new power supply, if for no other reason to rule it out, and I swapped it. But here the kicker - I read back over the suggestions before replacing the PSU and the person who suggested clearing the CMOS and changing the battery had not just said to clear the CMOS, but with the battery out, press the clear CMOS button for 15 seconds. Since I noticed that detail rereading everything before I swapped the PSU I did that also when I had the case open. So I made two changes at the same time and will never (probably) know what the real culprit was.

But happy to report this solved my problem. So anyone who is having the not-booting from case power button like me, I would say definitely try that battery-out-press-clear-CMOS-for-15-seconds trick. And if that fails, consider swapping the PSU.

If this ever cops up again I will definitely do them separately and in that that order.

I think that CMOS trick should definitely be tried by everyone here experiencing any other problems related to this BIOS update. It seems that some sort of CMOS memory corruption is occurring no matter what other problems might be going on.

Good luck!!

3DGuru wrote:
Hello, I have doubts and question:

1. If I decide not to risk and not install BIOS V2004, leave the one I have now V1601, should I install the Drivers that are on the page of Asus with the same dates or later than this BIOS V2004 as these below or not install these new Drivers?

BIOS / V 2004 / 2022/09/16
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO BIOS 2004
"1. Improve system performance
2. Update ME version to 16.1.25.1885v2
3. Many ME updates and optimizations for the next-gen CPU are included. This version does NOT allow rolling back to the previous versions, not even via USB BIOS FlashBackâ„¢, to ensure better compatibility.

Intel ME / V 16.1.25.1885v2 / 2022/09/16
MEUpdateTool / Intel has identified security issue that could potentially place impacted platform at risk / Use ME Update tool to update your ME.
*We suggest you update ME Driver to the latest Version 16.1.25.1885v2 simultaneously. / Please download the file and check the MD5 code first.
MD5: 83746cffb3d3bda45277db25d5318283

Chipset / V3.0.0.1457 / 2022/09/19
Intel GNA V3.0.0.1457 for Windows 10 64-bit and Windows 11 64-bit.

Chipset / V2229.3.2.0 / 2022/09/19
ntel ME V2229.3.2.0 for Windows 10 64-bit and Windows 11 64-bit.

2. Would it be better to wait for the new Armoury Crate V5.3.2.0 that is about to be released, and then do a format and upgrade everything from scratch? Do you first install all the drivers from the Asus/motherboard support page and then install Armoury Crate or first install Armoury Crate?

3. Problems in the first formatting and installation: Armoury Crate in the screen "i" / FAN: It does not read the speeds of the FANS of the Rog Ryujin II 360, in the BIOS ok the speeds, in the screen of the Device/Rog Ryujin II 360 ok too, is this normal? In the Device screen Fan Xpert does not open anything, is an error that? In the Device/Rog Ryujin II menu, the information appears normally. In "i" Temperatures seem normal to me Processor at 33°C, MO 27 °C, GPU 44 °C...

4. Should I install the Utilities - Software - GPU Tweak III V1.5.3.1?

5. What is the right thing to do, install Windows and then update Windows and let it find as many updated Drivers as possible or before doing that install all the latest available Drivers from the ASUS website and then update Windows?

Configuration: Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO / Intel Core i9-12900K / Corsair Vengeance 64GB 5200Hz (2x32GB) / Watercooler Rog Ryujin II 360 / Asus NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB / Corsair HX1200 80 Plus Platinum / SSD XPG S70 1TB / Case Corsair 7000X / EATON DX 2KVA ON-Line UPS / Windows 11 Professional For Workstations

Thank you!

Looks like we have the same system except that my GPU is the 3090TI. I am still on BIOS 1601 but I did install Intel ME V2229.3.2.0 from the support page. Everything is still fine on BIOS defaults. I also tried to install Intel GNA V3.0.0.1457 but the installer appears to do nothing. This is definitely not installed on my install of Win 11 Pro as after trying, I rolled back to an earlier disk image to be certain about whether it was installed or not. It seems that the GNA drivers are something to do with speeding up neural network calculations, but I'm not certain. Has anybody else tried to install it or know what it does?

So if you are on 1601 then you can install the ME update. On my most recent install of Win 11 Pro I let Armoury crate install all of the drivers. Then I installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software (which removed the yellow mark next to the PC in Devices and Printers) and finally I installed the latest ME described above. I also installed NVidia drivers with GEForce Experience. We do have different coolers and my fans have all been fine with iCue. I have no experience with GPU Tweak III. I did also try to install Intel Driver Support Assistant which has worked great in the past, but this time it will not scan my machine for some reason. Maybe I can fix this, but I have not spent much time on it.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

I'm going to try and summarise the situation with 2004:

a) It can cause issues with undervolting (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ot-NOT-working)
b) There have been some power up issues as reported higher up in this thread, but it seems that they can be solved with a BIOS reset
c) Some reports of RAM speed issues
d) AVX-512 will be disabled
e) It is not possible to go back to an earlier BIOS

Otherwise as far as I can tell, it seems to work for most people. I mean there are some reported issues, but not a huge number overall. Personally, I think I am probably going to stick with 1601 for now, mainly because there is no going back, but have I missed anything?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Merrick wrote:
My experience is quite a bit different. I'm not doing any overclocking or anything like that, so since updating to 2004 I am not seeing any of the problem most people are reporting here. But what did happen to me is that my computer will no longer boot from the case power button after shutting down. So here's what happens:

1. Shut computer down through OS.
2. Push case button to restart - audible "click", fans get a slight kick - and that's it. Nothing else happens.
3. Repeat 2 as many times as you want - click, fan kick - then nothing.
4. Switch power off at the power supply, wait a few seconds, switch power back on at power supply.
5. Push case button - "click" - normal boot.

I installed the Intel ME update at the same time, so it is unclear which of the two is doing it or if it's the two together.

On suggestions I have cleared CMOS, replaces CMOS battery, reinstalled MEUpdate and BIOS. No help.

It has been suggested my ROG Thor Platinum 850W PSU (that boarsts "100% Japanese capacitors" in it's ad literature) has failing caps. I would think in that case I would have this problem "sometimes" and that cycling the PSU would fix the problem perhaps most of the time, but might need to be done more than once on occasion - nope. With everything I have tried on my own and everything Asus has had me try I must have recycled this machine over 50 times. The case power button fails EVERY single time as described and the PSU recycle fixes it first time EVERY single time.

Asus told me to RMA it. Seriously? The email directing me to RMA even says:

"Standard repair TAT is 7-10 business days, not including weekends or shipping time. Please note, the global outbreak of the coronavirus may result in delays that impact repair times, due to part availability and staffing limitations. Impact depends on the product and the specific case. We will do everything possible to get your product back to you as soon as possible. We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused."

So, seriously, tear my computer down and hope I'm only without it for a few weeks if I am lucky?

I'm at least waiting for next month's BIOS to see if that fixes it (there have been 5 BIOS updates in 6 months - so there will be one in October, too.)

Asus needs to step up quite a bit better on this. Hopefully they'll get a netter BIOs out in a week or so that fixes many of these problems.

Your board has an onboard power button.
What happens if you use the onboard power button instead of the case power supply button?

What happens if you disconnect the "RESET" pins on the motherboard case I/O jumper block header?

*Edit* saw later that you resolved the problem with a deep clear CMOS. I think I mentioned this in my overclock guide. You should always do a deep cmos clear when changing major BIOS versions like this, as this clears NVRAM and some other settings that don't always get fully reset after a regular flash.

iTriedOverclocking wrote:
Thanks for pointing out they also replaced the microcode version with version 15. I understand how microcodes work, I run a 9900k in a Maximus VIII Formula. I just never saw any confirmation in this thread of AVX-512 working with this bios and Intel has been persistent with disabling it on Alder Lake. Does Asus still have the AVX512 options in bios 2004?

Just want to confirm AVX-512 is still working on bios 2004?

If you replace the u code yes. You can see in the screenshots avx512 in cpuz and info for bios 2004 in benchmate.

Link to bios or Apex for those who want to try it. https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-asus-strix-maximus-z690-owners-thread.1794802/post-290320...

mr_allroy wrote:
I can't seem to change my ram timings in real time anymore using MemTweakIt with ver 2004. I have been able to with all other bios. Can someone confirm this please?

Hey I think you need to enable the realtime memory frequency(?) bios setting; I noticed it's disabled on 2004. Good bios and fw updates tho

NickA wrote:
Hey I think you need to enable the realtime memory frequency(?) bios setting; I noticed it's disabled on 2004. Good bios and fw updates tho

I made sure I had this enabled. I'll have to dig around and hopefully find out what it is. Thanks for letting me know. 🙂

UPDATE = Turns out memtweakit doesn't play well when Core Isolation is turned on. Now that it's turned off, all is well again. 🙂

siposnorbert71
Level 10
my asus z690 hero, the temperature of the motherboard decreased with the new 2004 bios, my computer runs stably, memory 6000MHZ, I didn't notice any problems even during games. I am perfectly satisfied with it for now

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
The latest 2004 version does not allow users to roll back this time to ensure compatibility with next gen CPUs, many ME updates and optimizations are included. The description for the update should've been clearer, the team has been made aware. Thanks for reporting it, sorry it was not made clear.

MasterC@ROG wrote:
The latest 2004 version does not allow users to roll back this time to ensure compatibility with next gen CPUs, many ME updates and optimizations are included. The description for the update should've been clearer, the team has been made aware. Thanks for reporting it, sorry it was not made clear.

Hi MasterC. I really appreciate you providing this update. Thank you.

If you could, would you please clarify the part when you state, "The latest 2004 version does not allow users to roll back this time ", does that mean we will be able to go back earlier bios versions with the next bios release or are we stuck with 2004 and up from now on?