cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFFICIAL Bios ver. 2004 will not allow bios flashback THREAD

mr_allroy
Level 9
Hi all,

It looks like at least a couple of us have an issue flashing back to earlier bios with ver. 2004. Both with the UEFI method and the usb flash back will not work (3 usb drives and none worked). The bios setting to allow this is enabled. I have a Z690 Hero.

If you have this issue please reply to this thread so we can keep all the info in one thread. It will help if you list your MB model as well.

Thanks
( I should also note that the voltage issues found in ver 1720 appear to be fixed in 2004.)

UPDATE - It seems that real time ram timings can't be changed using Memtweakit or any other tool. Was working on 1601. Can anyone else confirm this?
163 REPLIES 163

Please help!

I got this 2004 bios and there was no warning when I downloaded it, now XMP is not working at all and I can't get back to the 0807 Bios that was working without any problems..

Here's my system:

Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4
G.Skill F4-4400C17D-32GTZR Trident Z RGB DDR4-4400 CL17-18-18-38 1.50V 32GB (2x16GB)

The computer keeps trying to post several times with XMP enabled in both 1 and 2 options, both memory slots are on the gray slots.

Is Asus aware of this problem?

Thanks!

kaedex wrote:
Please help!

I got this 2004 bios and there was no warning when I downloaded it, now XMP is not working at all and I can't get back to the 0807 Bios that was working without any problems..

Here's my system:

G.Skill F4-4400C17D-32GTZR Trident Z RGB DDR4-4400 CL17-18-18-38 1.50V 32GB (2x16GB)

The computer keeps trying to post several times with XMP enabled in both 1 and 2 options, both memory slots are on the gray slots.

Thanks!

I feel your pain, but the only immediate solution is to disable XMP. Maybe try different memory sticks if you have the money to experiment, but no guarantees. XMP speeds may (or may not) work again with your memory in a future bios version, but there is no safe way to "roll back" from 2004 to any previous bios. So for now, your best option is probably to just disable XMP and run at stock speeds.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
I feel your pain, but the only immediate solution is to disable XMP. Maybe try different memory sticks if you have the money to experiment, but no guarantees. XMP speeds may (or may not) work again with your memory in a future bios version, but there is no safe way to "roll back" from 2004 to any previous bios. So for now, your best option is probably to just disable XMP and run at stock speeds.

Will they replace the motherboard with another one?

If not I'd rather sell this one and buy another used one without this bios version, what a terrible idea to release something broken and irreversible!

I'm already using the computer with XMP disabled at half the normal mhz..

kaedex wrote:
Will they replace the motherboard with another one?

Probably not, based on this issue alone, since overclocking (including XMP) is not guaranteed by Asus.

How significant an impact do you see in actual usage? Or even in benchmarks? You may still be able to overclock memory manually rather than using XMP. If you do not want to mess with that, your choices are limited to waiting for a newer bios (which may or may not fix), trying different memory sticks, or moving to a different motherboard.

Personally, I find the memory overclock benefit minimal but I understand some users have different use cases where it is more important. All you can really do is wait for a new bios, manually overclock by experimenting with individual parameters, or look to a new motherboard (which may have the same issue).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
Probably not, based on this issue alone, since overclocking (including XMP) is not guaranteed by Asus.

How significant an impact do you see in actual usage? Or even in benchmarks? You may still be able to overclock memory manually rather than using XMP. If you do not want to mess with that, your choices are limited to waiting for a newer bios (which may or may not fix), trying different memory sticks, or moving to a different motherboard.

Personally, I find the memory overclock benefit minimal but I understand some users have different use cases where it is more important. All you can really do is wait for a new bios, manually overclock by experimenting with individual parameters, or look to a new motherboard (which may have the same issue).

Considering it's at 2133mhz right now it's a huge difference, not to mention this 4400mhz kit is worth like 4 times a 2133mhz kit..

See the difference in fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HasDFxvfOJs

kaedex wrote:
Please help!

Here's my system:

Thanks!

Hi - Asus are aware but did not initially inform anyone, in the Bios description, that it was irreversible.

They have changed the description to show this, but it was too late for many who updated and are now stuck with Bios 2004.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-Z690-PLUS-WIFI-D4...

Regards

nyxagamemnon
Level 7
It's clear at this point that the team that is developing the bioses either has had a change in who's running it or replaced by new people and these issues are getting through. Now if this is intended then SAY it so all it would take would be 1 line on the bios update page" Due to updates regarding security issues rolling back to prior bios revisions is not possible." Done end of it all, apparently I had to dig out this information... It would take you all of 15 seconds to write this on the update page and save tons of hassle headaches confusion.

Any news on the ROG Strix Z690-A bios 2004?

finaltouch68 wrote:
Any news on the ROG Strix Z690-A bios 2004?

Try here

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-a-gaming-wifi-d4-model/helpdesk_bios/

siposnorbert71
Level 10
I have the same problem with Bios 2004 on ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERON