cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFFICIAL Bios ver. 2004 will not allow bios flashback THREAD

mr_allroy
Level 9
Hi all,

It looks like at least a couple of us have an issue flashing back to earlier bios with ver. 2004. Both with the UEFI method and the usb flash back will not work (3 usb drives and none worked). The bios setting to allow this is enabled. I have a Z690 Hero.

If you have this issue please reply to this thread so we can keep all the info in one thread. It will help if you list your MB model as well.

Thanks
( I should also note that the voltage issues found in ver 1720 appear to be fixed in 2004.)

UPDATE - It seems that real time ram timings can't be changed using Memtweakit or any other tool. Was working on 1601. Can anyone else confirm this?
163 REPLIES 163

makattack wrote:
Just posting another anecdotal experience. Upgraded a Strix Z690-E from and old 1401 bios configured with XMP-1 and .105 undervolt to 2004 with the same configuration and my system seems to be running well.

Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory

BIOS undervolt config (for both, as dumped from UEFI/BIOS UI):
Global Core SVID Voltage [Adaptive Mode]
- Offset Mode Sign [-]
- Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage [Auto]
- Offset Voltage [0.10500]

Good to know, thanks
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

makattack wrote:
Just posting another anecdotal experience. Upgraded a Strix Z690-E from and old 1401 bios configured with XMP-1 and .105 undervolt to 2004 with the same configuration and my system seems to be running well.

Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory

BIOS undervolt config (for both, as dumped from UEFI/BIOS UI):
Global Core SVID Voltage [Adaptive Mode]
- Offset Mode Sign [-]
- Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage [Auto]
- Offset Voltage [0.10500]

Yes, undervolting with Global Core SVID works fine on 2004 (2003 for Prime), it wasn't working on 1720 (1620). What isn't working now is undervolting via V/F point offset, which has been broken since BIOS 1720 (1620) and still is on 2004 (2003). Posted here

hi guys, my pc got random bsod or restart itself event when just watch youtube or netflix
bios 2004, z690 hero, i7 12700kf, gskill 6000
xmp I on
bsod note is memory management
i am not expert, build this pc for gaming, watch movie and have fun. soo this make me confuse
try analyze with whocrashed apps
can anyone explain what happend?
build this system from dec 2021 cant play this pc with calm feeling until now
i update every bios, since 1501 it was goin better, when bios before 1501 cant use xmp with all auto
and the result is:

So you say you can't get it stable with XMP enabled since 2004? Those WhoCrashed logs you show look very good and half of them point to memory problems. Assuming the cause isn't something else, hopefully XMP will start working again after the next BIOS update. There is another little app that I have used in the past called BlueScreenView from NirSoft.

It's free software and you can get it from here: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

It also shows BSOD dump files and it might give you more clues if you want to try it as well.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Bios 2004 has slowed my boot by about 10 seconds.

The more modern these boards are getting the slower the boot times.

There is so much security junk and now we are facing bios updates that can't be rolled back.
I'm disliking Asus boards more and more. :rolleyes:

JohnAb wrote:
So you say you can't get it stable with XMP enabled since 2004? Those WhoCrashed logs you show look very good and half of them point to memory problems. Assuming the cause isn't something else, hopefully XMP will start working again after the next BIOS update. There is another little app that I have used in the past called BlueScreenView from NirSoft.

It's free software and you can get it from here: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

It also shows BSOD dump files and it might give you more clues if you want to try it as well.

hi mr johnAb, thx for the advice
i mean i got xmp problem since begining, before bios 1505 was a nightmare when xmp on.
since bios 1505 stability with xmp is much improve
i entering bios just for enable xmp and leave the rest auto
that my log also i just fresh install my windows recently
if not it will show long history of bsod

i will try software you advice, thx for the help

also just wanna ask guys about intel me.
when i download bios 2004 at asus support page it also say Update ME version to 16.1.25.1885v2 included
but when i check my bios now me fw ver 16.0.0.1423
wanna try update it manually with asus me update tool give a massage please check MEI driver is installed

is that my intel me is updated? why bios show different version?
wanna try update this maybe can fix the issue

I updated from bios 1304 to bios 2004 on the Z690-G GAMING WIFI with a 12900k at stock and my XMP got broken too. I was experiencing crashes in certain games in 15 minutes or so consistently, some applicaiton hangs and some bluescreens with "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". Disabling XMP allowed me to play the games which crashed before for over two hours with no problems. I ran memtest86 with both XMP on and off and in both cases it passed with zero errors. My memory is Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x32GB) 5200MHz C40 Intel Optimized Desktop Memory so its a very modest XMP yet it still was broken. It was rock solid stable for six months since I built my rig.

I should also say that in memtest with XMP on the RAM was getting up to 53-55C max (usually at 50-52) and with XMP off the memory gets up to 49-51 in games and a little less than that in memtest. Are those temperatures OK? Like I can't imagine it was getting above 60 in games with XMP on.

ls612 wrote:
I updated from bios 1304 to bios 2004 on the Z690-G GAMING WIFI with a 12900k at stock and my XMP got broken too. I was experiencing crashes in certain games in 15 minutes or so consistently, some applicaiton hangs and some bluescreens with "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". Disabling XMP allowed me to play the games which crashed before for over two hours with no problems. I ran memtest86 with both XMP on and off and in both cases it passed with zero errors. My memory is Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x32GB) 5200MHz C40 Intel Optimized Desktop Memory so its a very modest XMP yet it still was broken. It was rock solid stable for six months since I built my rig.

I should also say that in memtest with XMP on the RAM was getting up to 53-55C max (usually at 50-52) and with XMP off the memory gets up to 49-51 in games and a little less than that in memtest. Are those temperatures OK? Like I can't imagine it was getting above 60 in games with XMP on.

i think 53-55c is good temp, xmp more hot than non xmp is normal. coz when we xmp on, ram draw more power than xmp off

AwenMilano wrote:
i think 53-55c is good temp, xmp more hot than non xmp is normal. coz when we xmp on, ram draw more power than xmp off

Yeah the memory was stable at XMP through the summer while gaming so it should be fine. I opened a support ticket with ASUS to notify them of the regression with this kit's XMP stability, we'll see where it goes.