cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFFICIAL Bios ver. 2004 will not allow bios flashback THREAD

mr_allroy
Level 9
Hi all,

It looks like at least a couple of us have an issue flashing back to earlier bios with ver. 2004. Both with the UEFI method and the usb flash back will not work (3 usb drives and none worked). The bios setting to allow this is enabled. I have a Z690 Hero.

If you have this issue please reply to this thread so we can keep all the info in one thread. It will help if you list your MB model as well.

Thanks
( I should also note that the voltage issues found in ver 1720 appear to be fixed in 2004.)

UPDATE - It seems that real time ram timings can't be changed using Memtweakit or any other tool. Was working on 1601. Can anyone else confirm this?
163 REPLIES 163

ls612 wrote:
I updated from bios 1304 to bios 2004 on the Z690-G GAMING WIFI with a 12900k at stock and my XMP got broken too. I was experiencing crashes in certain games in 15 minutes or so consistently, some applicaiton hangs and some bluescreens with "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". Disabling XMP allowed me to play the games which crashed before for over two hours with no problems. I ran memtest86 with both XMP on and off and in both cases it passed with zero errors. My memory is Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x32GB) 5200MHz C40 Intel Optimized Desktop Memory so its a very modest XMP yet it still was broken. It was rock solid stable for six months since I built my rig.

I should also say that in memtest with XMP on the RAM was getting up to 53-55C max (usually at 50-52) and with XMP off the memory gets up to 49-51 in games and a little less than that in memtest. Are those temperatures OK? Like I can't imagine it was getting above 60 in games with XMP on.

I have pretty much the same hardware as you, 12900K / Z690-G Gaming WiFi M-ATX / Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5-5200 C40 64GB.
Using XMP I profile with no issues on Bios 2004.

delancyst wrote:
I have pretty much the same hardware as you, 12900K / Z690-G Gaming WiFi M-ATX / Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5-5200 C40 64GB.
Using XMP I profile with no issues on Bios 2004.

Do you have Anno 2205? That game was by far the easiest way for me to crash my system with the XMP enabled after the bios update, I only had one other crash in Warhammer III after like 3 hours of gameplay. As I mentioned earlier I did run Memtest86 after first seeing these issues and it passed a full 8 hour test with zero errors with XMP enabled which really confused me while troubleshooting. I wonder if there is any substantive difference between the Dominator and Vengeance kits at 5200-CL40.

hi, my pc still sometimes throw a usb error, but if we restart it will fix by it self
but still sometimes error come out randomly

error `unknown usb device (invalid device descriptor)` or `unknown usb device (set address failed)
usb device not recognized
location port 0002 hub 0009
anyone can explain what wrong with that?

ls612 wrote:
Do you have Anno 2205? That game was by far the easiest way for me to crash my system with the XMP enabled after the bios update, I only had one other crash in Warhammer III after like 3 hours of gameplay. As I mentioned earlier I did run Memtest86 after first seeing these issues and it passed a full 8 hour test with zero errors with XMP enabled which really confused me while troubleshooting. I wonder if there is any substantive difference between the Dominator and Vengeance kits at 5200-CL40.

I only use my system for office productivity and virtual machines.
So far, I'm able to max out all 64gbs without crashing.
Maybe you should try resetting your CMOs settings?

maximiza
Level 11
i took the risk updated my z690-e to 2004, no problems. AI suite 3 overclocked cpu to 5.7 like old bios, ram running xmp II like before.

mr_allroy
Level 9
Funny thing I noticed in windows update today. Even with my bios @ ver. 2004, bios ver. 1720 still shows up in windows update as an optional update. Not a good look asus.

I also had to disable XMP for system stability. I had put in 1704 on my system. It was unstable. I then put on bios 2004 thinking it would correct it. It wouldn't then I noticed I could not go back to the one prior to 1704.

I was getting random BSoDs. Memtest86 would randomly fail in different places and then pass once in a while. This when away with XMP being disabled.

System is 12700k, z690-g, CMK32GX5M2B5200C40 corsair vengeance 5200 32 gb kit

Rob_mc_1 wrote:
I also had to disable XMP for system stability. I had put in 1704 on my system. It was unstable. I then put on bios 2004 thinking it would correct it. It wouldn't then I noticed I could not go back to the one prior to 1704.

I was getting random BSoDs. Memtest86 would randomly fail in different places and then pass once in a while. This when away with XMP being disabled.

System is 12700k, z690-g, CMK32GX5M2B5200C40 corsair vengeance 5200 32 gb kit

Almost identical to mine except I have 64GB. Same corsair vengeance frequenceies and timings though. And I passed in memtest86 which really confused me during the troubleshooting process. Out of curiosity is your ME on the board and ME Interface up to date?

Not mentioned here yet - for anyone concerned:

The Intel ME Update with the incorrect MD5 code was *removed* (not updated) and replaced with a new update and a unique MD5 code two days ago.

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-formula-model/helpdesk_bios/

The old version was listed as 16.1.25.1885v2, this is listed as 16.1.25.1885

Of course, because the version number is not newer, it won't install over the previously installed version - but at least it's fixed for anyone who hasn't installed it yet...