cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFFICIAL Bios ver. 2004 will not allow bios flashback THREAD

mr_allroy
Level 9
Hi all,

It looks like at least a couple of us have an issue flashing back to earlier bios with ver. 2004. Both with the UEFI method and the usb flash back will not work (3 usb drives and none worked). The bios setting to allow this is enabled. I have a Z690 Hero.

If you have this issue please reply to this thread so we can keep all the info in one thread. It will help if you list your MB model as well.

Thanks
( I should also note that the voltage issues found in ver 1720 appear to be fixed in 2004.)

UPDATE - It seems that real time ram timings can't be changed using Memtweakit or any other tool. Was working on 1601. Can anyone else confirm this?
163 REPLIES 163

MasterC@ROG wrote:
The latest 2004 version does not allow users to roll back this time to ensure compatibility with next gen CPUs, many ME updates and optimizations are included. The description for the update should've been clearer, the team has been made aware. Thanks for reporting it, sorry it was not made clear.

So why has it killed my Maxiumus Z690 Extreme board entirely?

I had two 2TB SN850's buried on the motherboard with issues of one getting lost periodically at Bios Level. It had done this ever since early January this year from new when I built this new Rig.- Two identical Part numbers from WD yet one would flash to Firmware V614900 & the onother only as far as v613200. The irony was the one I kept loosing was the one that only had firmware v613200 installed. I also noticed in Disk Management, SN850 with firmware v613200 formats to 1863.00GB whereas SN850 V614900 formats to 1863.01GB. (My 2 x 1TB 870's in RAID0 are 1863.01GB)
Despite raising a ticket with WD, they informed me everything was okay & as it should be.

After playing with an install of Windows 11 (why did I bother - benchmarks are worse for it) I had horrendous issues with the SN850 on firmware v613200 thereafter. It took a while to suss out but finally I realised the damned thing was un-validated. Open up my computer if it did get to the desktop & whilst an Icon was shown for the single partition, no drive spaced was displayed. - Just like a DVR drive displays itself with no media mounted. - Eventually, the drive space would be displayed but no programs would run or load until it had validated the drive. At this point, I got on to my supplier explaining the situation & had an RMA ready to go. After finally stripping my Water cooled set up to get & pull the pain in the ass SN850, another issue reared it's ugly head.

One of the gold contacts appears to have vaporised itself & there appears to be a hint of silver with a blue-ish tinge where the gold contact should come from. - *Sigh*

With my water cooled rig in bits, I took my two 1TB WD SN850's off the ROG DIMM.2 adapter & buried them in the motherboard & reassembled the rig. This time, I only fitted one of the 2TB SN850's (the good one with V614900) to the ROG DIMM.2 adapter & set up the two 1TB SN850's in RAID0 just for bragging rights (RAID0 is a Synthetic speed result only & not seen in real terms on these devices)
So, the RAID0 SN850's had another install of WinBlows 11 & all appeared fine, so for the crack of it, I fitted the dodgey SN850 running firmware v613200 & sporting one less gold contact & she booted to desktop showing drive space immediately with no hang ups.

At this point, I'm still running Z690 Version 1505 BIOS and wasn't aware BIOS versions 1601 & 1720 had been released. - So many damned BIOS's on this platform in such a short time says a lot is wrong....

Anyway, both 1601 & 1720 BIOS's refused to Flash from the BIOS update slot. The OLED would show Failed on every attempt. Same trying from the BIOS Tool with the rig running. So, with WinBlows 11 installed & me setting SAWP files etc, turning off Hibernation for lean drive space etc, updates were dropping in at an alarming rate despite using Mediacreat0r to make a Bootable Flash Drive. Some time later after manually checking for updates just in case, WinBlows update suggests I have a firmware upgrade available.

MasterC@ROG wrote:
The latest 2004 version does not allow users to roll back this time to ensure compatibility with next gen CPUs, many ME updates and optimizations are included. The description for the update should've been clearer, the team has been made aware. Thanks for reporting it, sorry it was not made clear.

Make things clearer?!?... :confused:

I am aware this monumental motherboard circa 1000 bucks has both Firmware & BIOS so I clicked update for the Firmware.....

Moments later, I'm watching my rig reset itself & for a split second, see what appeared to be a blocky pixel image of Super Mario (it was all nanosecond stuff) & then I'm in the BIOS watching an Auto update. - WTF? - There was no BIOS screen prior to this. - Update complete, power off- power on - firmware update for Matrix - reboot & power on - OLED update - reboot - desktop. Now on Bios 1720 and no issues with either of the two 2TB SN850's

Not at all happy about being fingered like this, days later I see the 2004 BIOS is out & go for it based on seeing issues trying to get to BIOS versions 1601 & 1720.
Bit of a warm fuzzy feeling seeing the mobo's OLED screen say Bios update Success using the Flashback USB slot. Turned her on, watched two more resets for Firmware to OLED & Matrix & after that nothing despite sever resets of the BIOS via reset switch, multiple power on's & off's. No luck even with leaving her for 40 minutes whilst eating my evening meal.

Much arsing around later, I discovered if I remove the two 2TB SN850's completely, the Rig boots fine?? - Really!!

It doesn't stop there though....

For saying Shutdown from the desktop and physically seeing her turn off, the Rig powers on again. After three attempts of shutting this possessed thing down, I pulled the mains plug & saved it for the day after.

The day after, No Flash back capability, but if I turned off Hibernation in WinBlows 11, it would stay shut down for 6 seconds before turning itself back on again. Before I did this, it turned off & on with a 1 second delay.

At this point, I pressed the BIOS microswitch to change to BIOS B which was still at version 0238. I've now flashed to 1304 which was one version after the SLI key being enabled offering better Ram stability. - I had two ZOTAC 1080Ti's back then & so far, my now ROG STRIX RTX 3080 Ti hasn't decided to change itself to a GEN3 card like BIOS 1720 did?? - This was me re-booting the rig & the board jumping into the bios of it's own opinion to do so whilst prompting it was doing the downgrade. ????

There would appear to be some kind of monumental screw up with the Z690 Platform altogether after reading around the Web & ASUS appear to have held things together better than the rest of the Mobo manufactures on this platform.

Throwing a BIOS out that does not allow a roll back should never happen & having to apologise about this fact not having been made clear is like trying to shut the barn door after the horse has bolted. - Everything should have been clear before the pubic were given access to it.

All round..... what a crock of cr4p & as a bit of a Bruce'y bonus, ....what a world of sh!t I'm in with this naff SN850!

After 25 years of over clocking, I will never buy a new platform to be fingered like this again. :mad:

*A moderator might like to move this post to another section. - Not meant to trawl possible resolution of thread.*

siposnorbert71
Level 10
it is not certain that we will stay with the 2004 bios, maybe the next bios will correct the errors. because I don't think Asus can make users stick to one bios. I think this 2004 will be removed as soon as possible so that not even a trace remains.

pinkfloyd1173
Level 11
So I just updated the Bios to 2004, all good no issues at all.

But I went to windows update, did the updates that were there for my rig.

The funny thing is that windows udate still shows 1720 Bios as a optional update??? 95180
ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI II Bios 1002: Intel i7 14900k: CORSAIR DOMINATOR TITANIUM RGB 64GB 6600MHz DDR5: : ASUS ROG STRIX PG38UQ: ROG Strix 4090 OC :2 M.2 990 PRO 2 TB: CORSAIR - AIO CORSAIR LINK H170I LCD : Corsair HX1500I: Corsair 7000D airflow Case: Windows 11 Pro

iTriedOverclock
Level 9
This seems to me like Intel's way of preventing users from using microcode 15 to enable AVX-512 on Alder Lake chips. Guess I'm never going to upgrade my bios ever again. I've modded bios 1720 with microcode 15, not sure if I should try to mod version 2004.

I want to thank Asus for the warning or else I would have lost AVX-512 support.

iTriedOverclocking wrote:
This seems to me like Intel's way of preventing users from using microcode 15 to enable AVX-512 on Alder Lake chips. Guess I'm never going to upgrade my bios ever again. I've modded bios 1720 with microcode 15, not sure if I should try to mod version 2004.

I want to thank Asus for the warning or else I would have lost AVX-512 support.

Microcode 15 works in 2004 if you delete the other microcodes and insert it. AVX512 works. bscool has it modded already.
Just don't expect raptor lake to work if you delete all the microcodes.

None of this flashback lockout has anything whatsoever to do with Intel and AVX512...

siposnorbert71
Level 10
:D;);):)

maximiza
Level 11
After reading through all this, if everything works don't update? I am still on 1601 i found out today about newer bios available.

maximiza
Level 11
If your not beta testing 13000 series CPU's what does this bios improve with alderlake?

maximiza
Level 11
i am curios if fast boot has to be shut off for things to get fixed. I know with the xbios for vid card i have to keep off fast boot and keep disabled so it loads all devices correctly all the time.

makattack
Level 8
Just posting another anecdotal experience. Upgraded a Strix Z690-E from and old 1401 bios configured with XMP-1 and .105 undervolt to 2004 with the same configuration and my system seems to be running well.

Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory

BIOS undervolt config (for both, as dumped from UEFI/BIOS UI):
Global Core SVID Voltage [Adaptive Mode]
- Offset Mode Sign [-]
- Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage [Auto]
- Offset Voltage [0.10500]