cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFFICIAL Bios ver. 2004 will not allow bios flashback THREAD

mr_allroy
Level 9
Hi all,

It looks like at least a couple of us have an issue flashing back to earlier bios with ver. 2004. Both with the UEFI method and the usb flash back will not work (3 usb drives and none worked). The bios setting to allow this is enabled. I have a Z690 Hero.

If you have this issue please reply to this thread so we can keep all the info in one thread. It will help if you list your MB model as well.

Thanks
( I should also note that the voltage issues found in ver 1720 appear to be fixed in 2004.)

UPDATE - It seems that real time ram timings can't be changed using Memtweakit or any other tool. Was working on 1601. Can anyone else confirm this?
163 REPLIES 163

Merrick wrote:
I should add, the information posted for the MEUpdate tool is as follows:

Intel ME
Version 16.1.25.1885v2
2022/09/16 9.15 MBytes
MEUpdateTool
Intel has identified security issue that could potentially place impacted platform at risk.
Use ME Update tool to update your ME.
*We suggest you update ME Driver to the latest Version 16.1.25.1885v2 simultaneously.
Please download the file and check the MD5 code first.
MD5: 83746cffb3d3bda45277db25d5318283

But when I check the MD5 value:

C:\Users\Merrick\Desktop\New folder (2)>fciv MEUpdateTool_16.1.25.1885_T.zip
//
// File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
//
580b0a2a2647111b53de3516a659db7c meupdatetool_16.1.25.1885_t.zip

OK. So I'm pretty frustrated I didn't check that first. I wouldn't have installed it if I did. I'm just wondering if it could have done enough damage that it really can't be fixed by flashing or installed better BIOS/software on top of it won't fix it.

I'm getting the same MD5 mismatch.

Is that really relevant? There's a newer version out anyhow, why bother? I'd doubt the ME version could be the issue for all the problems with this bios?

Radical_53 wrote:
Is that really relevant? There's a newer version out anyhow, why bother? I'd doubt the ME version could be the issue for all the problems with this bios?

Yes, it is relevant. Matching the MD5 would indicate the file has not been tampered with or corrupted, and that it is the version ASUS intended to post.

What newer version? This is the latest ME posted by ASUS for z690, 9/16/22 Version 16.1.25.1885v2. Is there a newer version elsewhere?
**EDIT: I see Mokichu posted 16.1.25.1917 in the z690 forum firmware thread.

I agree that the ME update is not likely the cause of any issues in this thread -- BUT the mis-matched MD5 on official ASUS downloads warrants resolution, and is certainly relevant to this discussion since the bios 2004 update notes also instruct installing this specific ME version.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

Yes, it is relevant. Matching the MD5 would indicate the file has not been tampered with or corrupted, and that it is the version ASUS intended to post.

I did report this and since Asus had already told me to RMA my board they stopped responding to my concerns, so I forwarded the whole thing to the CEO's office. I got a nice reply back saying that they were forwarding all of the information to the technical program manager. Hopefully that gets some attention.

Merrick wrote:

I did report this and since Asus had already told me to RMA my board they stopped responding to my concerns, so I forwarded the whole thing to the CEO's office. I got a nice reply back saying that they were forwarding all of the information to the technical program manager. Hopefully that gets some attention.

Excellent, thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:

What newer version? This is the latest ME posted by ASUS for z690, 9/16/22 Version 16.1.25.1885v2. Is there a newer version elsewhere?
**EDIT: I see Mokichu posted 16.1.25.1917 in the z690 forum firmware thread.

I agree that the ME update is not likely the cause of any issues in this thread -- BUT the mis-matched MD5 on official ASUS downloads warrants resolution, and is certainly relevant to this discussion since the bios 2004 update notes also instruct installing this specific ME version.

The newer version was linked to in this very sub-forum: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126385-FIRMWARE-Intel-ME-(H610-B660-H670-Z690-B760-H770-Z7...

I'd yet have to experience differences between ME firmwares or ME behavior though.
Hopefully, if that's what you're pointing at, there was some mistake at Asus that even includes the bios and can/will be corrected.
A bios that restricts downgrading shouldn't have issues as this bios have and should've been thoroughly tested before release.

Merrick wrote:
My experience is quite a bit different. I'm not doing any overclocking or anything like that, so since updating to 2004 I am not seeing any of the problem most people are reporting here. But what did happen to me is that my computer will no longer boot from the case power button after shutting down. So here's what happens:

1. Shut computer down through OS.
2. Push case button to restart - audible "click", fans get a slight kick - and that's it. Nothing else happens.
3. Repeat 2 as many times as you want - click, fan kick - then nothing.
4. Switch power off at the power supply, wait a few seconds, switch power back on at power supply.
5. Push case button - "click" - normal boot.

I installed the Intel ME update at the same time, so it is unclear which of the two is doing it or if it's the two together.

I encountered the same issue after upgrading to the new BIOS 2004 for my Z690-E Gaming WIFI. What I did was to reset the BIOS to default value, reboot and redo the settings. Seems to solve the problem.

PauloPanda wrote:
I encountered the same issue after upgrading to the new BIOS 2004 for my Z690-E Gaming WIFI. What I did was to reset the BIOS to default value, reboot and redo the settings. Seems to solve the problem.

I am not running anything other than default BIOS settings. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. Any suggestions based on that?

Hello, I have doubts and question:

1. If I decide not to risk and not install BIOS V2004, leave the one I have now V1601, should I install the Drivers that are on the page of Asus with the same dates or later than this BIOS V2004 as these below or not install these new Drivers?

BIOS / V 2004 / 2022/09/16
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO BIOS 2004
"1. Improve system performance
2. Update ME version to 16.1.25.1885v2
3. Many ME updates and optimizations for the next-gen CPU are included. This version does NOT allow rolling back to the previous versions, not even via USB BIOS FlashBackâ„¢, to ensure better compatibility.

Intel ME / V 16.1.25.1885v2 / 2022/09/16
MEUpdateTool / Intel has identified security issue that could potentially place impacted platform at risk / Use ME Update tool to update your ME.
*We suggest you update ME Driver to the latest Version 16.1.25.1885v2 simultaneously. / Please download the file and check the MD5 code first.
MD5: 83746cffb3d3bda45277db25d5318283

Chipset / V3.0.0.1457 / 2022/09/19
Intel GNA V3.0.0.1457 for Windows 10 64-bit and Windows 11 64-bit.

Chipset / V2229.3.2.0 / 2022/09/19
ntel ME V2229.3.2.0 for Windows 10 64-bit and Windows 11 64-bit.

2. Would it be better to wait for the new Armoury Crate V5.3.2.0 that is about to be released, and then do a format and upgrade everything from scratch? Do you first install all the drivers from the Asus/motherboard support page and then install Armoury Crate or first install Armoury Crate?

3. Problems in the first formatting and installation: Armoury Crate in the screen "i" / FAN: It does not read the speeds of the FANS of the Rog Ryujin II 360, in the BIOS ok the speeds, in the screen of the Device/Rog Ryujin II 360 ok too, is this normal? In the Device screen Fan Xpert does not open anything, is an error that? In the Device/Rog Ryujin II menu, the information appears normally. In "i" Temperatures seem normal to me Processor at 33°C, MO 27 °C, GPU 44 °C...

4. Should I install the Utilities - Software - GPU Tweak III V1.5.3.1?

5. What is the right thing to do, install Windows and then update Windows and let it find as many updated Drivers as possible or before doing that install all the latest available Drivers from the ASUS website and then update Windows?

Configuration: Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO / Intel Core i9-12900K / Corsair Vengeance 64GB 5200Hz (2x32GB) / Watercooler Rog Ryujin II 360 / Asus NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB / Corsair HX1200 80 Plus Platinum / SSD XPG S70 1TB / Case Corsair 7000X / EATON DX 2KVA ON-Line UPS / Windows 11 Professional For Workstations

Thank you!

I updated my bios to 2004 before I knew there was no way back & then I ran into issues with my system.

First of all my system didn't want to boot anymore. When I got it to boot, I had to dig through the settings to find the culprit and I found my RAM speed to be of an issue.
I can't run my RAM any higher than 3100MHz anymore. I used to run it at 3600MHz on this board, 3800MHz on an older platform even (AM4). My sticks did 3600MHz C14 just fine and I ran them at 3600MHz C16 for everyday tasks for almost a year now.

I had my old settings saved and even though I think it's a "dirty" habit, re-using my saved set of settings had worked for all bios versions prior to this one. Can't see what happened here but it reminds me of the board I had before this one, AsRock Z690, which wouldn't let me run my RAM normally either. Back then, I could at least run it at 3200 C14 1T though.
This here is a new lower limit and quite absurd to experience for a platform that has matured over a whole year.

Anyone else with correlating issues, or perhaps even an idea how to fix this? Memory training seems to take much longer than before also (not a deal-breaker though).