cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFFICIAL Bios ver. 2004 will not allow bios flashback THREAD

mr_allroy
Level 9
Hi all,

It looks like at least a couple of us have an issue flashing back to earlier bios with ver. 2004. Both with the UEFI method and the usb flash back will not work (3 usb drives and none worked). The bios setting to allow this is enabled. I have a Z690 Hero.

If you have this issue please reply to this thread so we can keep all the info in one thread. It will help if you list your MB model as well.

Thanks
( I should also note that the voltage issues found in ver 1720 appear to be fixed in 2004.)

UPDATE - It seems that real time ram timings can't be changed using Memtweakit or any other tool. Was working on 1601. Can anyone else confirm this?
163 REPLIES 163

Billybigun
Level 7
Hi,
I have the same problem with Bios 2004 on ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME - No method will allow me to go back to any earlier Bios.

EZ Flash 3 give error "File is not a proper BIOS" with any Bios except 2004. Flashback just stops with any Bios except 2004.

I need to go back to Bios 1101, as this is the only Bios, on ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME, that lets a single GPU run at X16 in the top PCIE slot - Now will only run at X8.

Regards

Asus needs to aknowledge if this is a bug or a feature.

It has to be a bug cause it eleminates Bios flashback.

Iam rock stable at 1505 with 6600mhz DDR5 not updating.

akgis_ wrote:
Asus needs to aknowledge if this is a bug or a feature.

It has to be a bug cause it eleminates Bios flashback.

Iam rock stable at 1505 with 6600mhz DDR5 not updating.

The mods all saw this thread, and, as usual when answers are needed, radio silence.

Guys, just answer the question!! :mad: How infuriating.

Billybigun wrote:
Hi,
I have the same problem with Bios 2004 on ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME - No method will allow me to go back to any earlier Bios.

EZ Flash 3 give error "File is not a proper BIOS" with any Bios except 2004. Flashback just stops with any Bios except 2004.

I need to go back to Bios 1101, as this is the only Bios, on ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME, that lets a single GPU run at X16 in the top PCIE slot - Now will only run at X8.

Regards

Why is this happening? I want my 3090 ti runing at x16 .

arabulie wrote:
Why is this happening? I want my 3090 ti runing at x16 .

Hi.
My 2 PC's (ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME) - have the X8 issue - The only Bios that will let a single card run at X16 is Bios 1101 - Any later Bios X8.

As the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME has 2 Bios I can switch from Bios 1101 (X16) and 2004 (X8)

Asus say it is a hardware issue but how can it be if one Bios is Ok, and any later Bios is broken

The difference in performance X8 or X16 on my RTX 3090 TI is not a lot but with the RTX 4090 and later bandwidth could become an issue, so Asus need to fix this!!

Regards

EDIT: Just got this back from ASUS support:

Thank you for your email.

The serial number you have is in the range where this requires a hardware repair in order to resolve x16 dropping to x8

We cannot resolve this with a BIOS update unfortunately it would require action by engineer.

Looks like I will have to RMA both of my ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME motherboards - Faulty batch!!

Billybigun wrote:

The serial number you have is in the range where this requires a hardware repair in order to resolve x16 dropping to x8

Did they publicly release a statement and/or what the range is of serial numbers?

THETCR wrote:
Did they publicly release a statement and/or what the range is of serial numbers?

Hi,
Not seen a list only info I got was as mentioned from Asus Email Support. (servicecenter_emea@asus.com)

If yours motherboard is doing the same then it must logically have the same fault.

Does yours work with Bios 1101 @ X16 but X8 with any higher Bios - If so it is the same fault my two ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME motherboards have.

You could send an Email to the address above, with your motherboard serial number, and ask if it is in the affected range and needs to be RMA'd

Regards

Ok, so it's clear that BIOS 2004 cannot be reverted back to an earlier version. There are also reports that undervolting of the CPU is disabled as reported here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130520-BIOS-2003-2004-Custom-quot-V-F-Point-Offset-quot-NO...

Otherwise, I get the impression that feedback on this latest BIOS is generally quite positive. Are there any other issues that people are aware of? It would be nice to get extra feedback here, positive or negative on BIOS 2004 (and equivalents like 2003 for other boards) for those of us that are thinking about doing the update soon (or perhaps I should say 'flashingforward' using the flashback tool, to keep everybody happy). Personally, I might just use EZ Flash 3 to avoid causing any more flashback/forward controversy 🙂

Anyway, additional feedback would be great. Thanks.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Billybigun wrote:
Hi.
My 2 PC's (ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME) - have the X8 issue - The only Bios that will let a single card run at X16 is Bios 1101 - Any later Bios X8.

As the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME has 2 Bios I can switch from Bios 1101 (X16) and 2004 (X8)

Asus say it is a hardware issue but how can it be if one Bios is Ok, and any later Bios is broken

The difference in performance X8 or X16 on my RTX 3090 TI is not a lot but with the RTX 4090 and later bandwidth could become an issue, so Asus need to fix this!!

Regards

EDIT: Just got this back from ASUS support:

Thank you for your email.

We cannot resolve this with a BIOS update unfortunately it would require action by engineer.

Looks like I will have to RMA both of my ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME motherboards - Faulty batch!!

Update: One motherboard returned to Overlockers.co.uk and quickly replaced - PC Rebuilt and now working perfectly.

Second faulty motherboard sent back to Scan.co.uk and they said it tested OK (Obviously not testing with same CPU, memory combination as I have) and even though ASUS Support have confirmed (Directly to them and myself) it as in a faulty batch are refusing to replace it - Not very good support from Scan.co.uk.
Might have to do a section 75 Cashback with my credit card company as this was a day 1 fault so should be replaced as it was suppled faulty but not immediately diagnosed and Bios 1101 was not the real fix.

Scan eventually sent me a replacement motherboard (Very reluctantly) while making me feel grateful for it happening stating it would never happen again - Fitted and now all OK - So Scan.co.uk did not test it correctly.
So, if you can only get X8 on the top Pcie slot with a single GPU you probably have a broken motherboard (ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME)