cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Z790 Hero Constant WHEA warnings

Saltgrass
Level 13
Now that the text is showing. The problem seems to be tied to the PCI Express Port #2. The one device on that port is the Standard SATA AHCI Controller.

If I disable the port, the warnings go away and the SATA controller switches to another position in the listing.

I have tried removing all SATA drives so there was nothing connected to the SATA ports but that did not seem to help.

I have installed the RAID driver available for the system but that did not affect this situation.

Thanks for reading.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200
34 REPLIES 34

Saltgrass
Level 13
Testing for text appearance.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

USERMAC
Level 9

Saltgrass
Level 13
Since the test is working, I finished the original post.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

USERMAC
Level 9
I am also getting loads of these WHEA errors with a Z790 Hero, and mine is the same PCI Express Root Port #2 7A39 although on my device manager it does not tell me what is using the root just that it shows as Intel (R) PCI Express Root Port #2 7A39.

There are lots of these errors which I noticed when using HWINFO and that reports the WHEA Errors. I then looked them up on the event viewer and I am getting them almost one per minute. I would normally ignore most things in event viewer but this Error is not a good one because it indicates faulty hardware. I am hoping it is just a glitch because of a bad driver or bios. I am on all the current drivers from the Z790 Hero support page and am on Bios 0703.

General advice - I've experienced WHEA (17) errors in the past. There are some simple things you can try to eliminate them:

1. Disable PCIe Native Power Management in BIOS (advanced tab, platform misc. configuration)
2. Disable Active State Power Management (ASPM) in the BIOS
3. Don't enable PCIe link Power Management in Windows (edit power plan) or only try moderate power savings, not max
4. Don't set PCH voltages (Tweakers Paradise) to minimum. Minimum values do work for some, not for me

Note that 1 and 2 might be the same. I can't remember without going back into the BIOS.

If those ideas fail, check that all of your drivers are up to date. You can install Intel Driver and Support Assistant as well and see if that finds any updates. Finally, as a last resort, a fresh install of Windows helped me in the past to eliminate them.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
General advice - I've experienced WHEA (17) errors in the past. There are some simple things you can try to eliminate them:

1. Disable PCIe Native Power Management in BIOS (advanced tab, platform misc. configuration)
2. Disable Active State Power Management (ASPM) in the BIOS
3. Don't enable PCIe link Power Management in Windows (edit power plan) or only try moderate power savings, not max
4. Don't set PCH voltages (Tweakers Paradise) to minimum. Minimum values do work for some, not for me

Note that 1 and 2 might be the same. I can't remember without going back into the BIOS.

If those ideas fail, check that all of your drivers are up to date. You can install Intel Driver and Support Assistant as well and see if that finds any updates. Finally, as a last resort, a fresh install of Windows helped me in the past to eliminate them.

Disabling PCIe Native power Management Fixed the issue for me. I am unsure how important that setting really is as far as I know it is recommended to be switched off because of incompatibility issue's. I think it is useful for laptops to increase battery life as it can put the NVME drive into a low power mode or something like that. I don't believe there is any loss of performance having this turned off. What I am unsure about is the reason why this is happing as I have a Samsung 980 PRO Gen 4 support and that too supports ASPM which is part of this Native power management so is this a known issue that needs fixing?
Could the NVME be clashing with the Nvidia card as that also uses the PCI Express port too ? Either way if it is just a feature that is aimed at laptops I wont be using it but it would be nice to know what is going on.

Saltgrass
Level 13
@USERMAC, I saw your earlier attachments sorry I could not answer. Right now, I have the port disabled and I see no changes except the SATA controller which I tried to disable in the Bios, moves to another location. This is what the two attachments earlier were showing. I started my system this morning and show 12430 warnings within that first minute. I have been running both a Z490 and Z590 board for some time but never saw such a warning, at least not to this extent.

@JohnAb, thanks, I have already tried some of the things. The clean install did not help and all drivers have been checked with
Armory Crate. The errors were happening before I installed Armory Crate. I am going to get a new NVMe drive soon and start completely over.

I will look at the Power settings you mentioned but I am not an over clocker so I don't normally get involved with those.

I do notice I am getting another error when the system starts up, which may be normal but it is a Service Control Manager Event ID 7009. it shows what is below but not sure it is related to the WHEA error.

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Intel(R) SUR QC Software Asset Manager service to connect.

Thanks for the replies.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200