cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Z790 Hero Constant WHEA warnings

Saltgrass
Level 13
Now that the text is showing. The problem seems to be tied to the PCI Express Port #2. The one device on that port is the Standard SATA AHCI Controller.

If I disable the port, the warnings go away and the SATA controller switches to another position in the listing.

I have tried removing all SATA drives so there was nothing connected to the SATA ports but that did not seem to help.

I have installed the RAID driver available for the system but that did not affect this situation.

Thanks for reading.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200
34 REPLIES 34

JohnAb
Level 17
One more idea (if you suspect the NVME drive?), I had strange events that I could not identify (delays copying files, file transfers pausing), but it turned out that my NVME was corrupted. I discovered this by comparing the used space reported by Windows vs manually adding up the folder sizes and they did not match. The problem drive did not contain my OS, I only used it for backups, but after reformatting it, no problems since. I can't say if it was causing WHEA errors or not (I wasn't looking for them at the time), but if you do have any suspicions about your NVME, might be something to check. I can imagine that similar issues on the OS drive could cause some very strange behaviour.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Kingdramanyz
Level 7
Im having these same issues. Not sure what's causing it. Maximus 790 extreme. Running evwrything stock. Causes these errors. Moved nvme drives from dimm 2 to 2 lower m2 channels on board. Removed gpu. Testing just 13900k and gskill 7800j3. Can boot at 7800 but fails all tests. Running memtest86 ATM.

Everything stock. I get tons of whea errors. What a disappointment this board and config has been. Came from a stable 5900x dark hero.

USERMAC
Level 9
I don't want to jynx myself but after running Command prompt "CMD admin mode" and doing a Sfc /scannow I have not seen WHEA Since. I also did a separate command on top which is "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth"

I recommend doing the same and after doing the CMD SFC/SCANNOW restart pc check event viewer and select windows logs and system and see if you can see the WHEA errors for me they have gone by doing these to commands in CMD Admin mode.

USERMAC wrote:
I don't want to jynx myself but after running Command prompt "CMD admin mode" and doing a Sfc /scannow I have not seen WHEA Since. I also did a separate command on top which is "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth"

I recommend doing the same and after doing the CMD SFC/SCANNOW restart pc check event viewer and select windows logs and system.
For me they have gone.

OK, thanks. I will try that later because right now, I have set the Bios back to default settings and allowed Armory crate to update all drivers. If I don't see any improvement, I will try your suggestion.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
OK, thanks. I will try that later because right now, I have set the Bios back to default settings and allowed Armory crate to update all drivers. If I don't see any improvement, I will try your suggestion.

I have still not had any of those errors since and before I was getting them constantly so that solved the issue for me. HWINFO not showing anything either.

If the ai oc is actively preventing this **** from crashing, then I'm gonna leave it as 24/7 until these bios get ironed out man.

Kingdramanyz
Level 7
4.5 hours later. Bios memtest86 passed.
Sitting on desktop watching YouTube. Aioc bumped me up to 61 x1. 60x2 58x2 57x2 46 everything else. Going to run tm5 extreme.

Kingdramanyz
Level 7
Tm5 crashed on extreme amd usmus profile.

Rebooted.
Switched to xmp2.

That said it raised vpp to 1.8.
Raised ivr transmitter vddq to 1.4
I also searched fast boot and disabled both of those, after switching to xmp2.
F10

Running 1usmus_v3 now.

@Usermac
Are you stable? Can you run time spy extreme or cb23?

USERMAC
Level 9
Turned pc on this morning beliving I had fixed the WHEA Errors and I was wrong they came back and this time hundreds every second. Something is seriously wrong.

check these screen shots

Saltgrass
Level 13
I was messing with the PCIe slide switch on the motherboard and set it to use PCIe 4. It seems to have slowed down the warnings but does not stop them.

The other strange thing is, many of the warnings happen when the Event Viewer is invoked. So, even when it just looks for the status, warnings happen.

Thanks.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200