cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Z690 Apex and Armory Crate question.

JBBlack
Level 8
I know this is not the software thread, but I would like to know what people think about installing Armory Crate, every article I have read is mixed, and most user's opinions are that the software sucks.

So I read that I can turn it off in the BIOS, but then how do I control the RGB lighting? I would like it all static blue or whiteish blue if possible.

Note I haven't installed any ASUS extra software yet as I have seen too many articles about how hard it is to get rid of it once it goes South.

And I just spent 2 days installing all my stuff and getting all my apps and games working, so not doing a windows install for a while...

Sorry, but my last ASUS mobo was a Z87 and I'm still learning about the new BIOS/Software and hope it all works.

thanks for any help/suggestions.
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+
4 REPLIES 4

rsnelson
Level 9
I'm sure you have read https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?311.

I'm also new to ASUS, but with the Z690 Hero and not Apex like you. Love the hardware.

I initially installed all the ASUS software. After playing around with the system and software, I re-installed Windows 11... partially to get rid of my sandbox but Windows 11 22H2 had just come available and wanted to have a clean slate. Crate is the only ASUS application software I have installed from what ASUS provides. I chose not to install GPU Tweak III and AI Suite with the O/S re-install.

The reason I have Crate installed is the following:
1) Control some of chassis fans from the GPU which cannot be done in the BIOS.
2) For Aura Sync and Aura Creator.

Crate is working for me. I so far have not experienced issues others have faced. I'm not sure if this was because it was a clean install or my hardware configuration. I do not use any other RGB hardware/software such as iCue to worry about. It is all ASUS.

There are lots of minor usability items in Crate that could be address but able to work around them. For example...
- It would be nice to be able to configure the 'standard' fan settings (Silent, Standard, Turbo, Full Speed) with my own customizations. I don't ever need my water pump running at 100%.
- CPU Core clock list is sorted funny.
- No need to show CPU Fan and CPU Opt Fans if nothing is connected to them. Would be better to show the water pump fan instead of the CPU fan.
- Why isn't it possible to apply fan configurations to profiles?
- A scroll bar would be nice in the Update Center.

I chose not to install Ai Suite and GPU Tweak because I don't plan on overclocking my motherboard or graphics card.

OP, Personally it sucks. Use it for updates and it frequently shows that my currently installed version is up to date. When a newer one has been on the webpage for a month. Then there is the occassions when the installed version is up to date yet the latest shown in Armoury poop is older than the one I have installed. How is it telling me the latest available is older than what I have installed. makes no sense. It was like that for over a month. Can't remember which as it was a while ago.

Don't know if you can control RGB from the Bios on that board.

Notes of my others dislike about fancontrol below

rsnelson wrote:

The reason I have Crate installed is the following:
1) Control some of chassis fans from the GPU which cannot be done in the BIOS.

Only reason I used Armoury Crate was for the fan control. But Armoury crate refuses to keep my fan profiles despite me doing backups in the app. You can't save to anywhere to manually back them up. Install a new fan, change header of a fan or anything else prevents you using your profile for any of the none affected fans. So remove fan 2 and add 1 to fan3 header = all fans do there on thing without your profile not just the new fan3.

Had issues early in build that required multiple OS reinstalls and I had to redo fan profiles every flipping time. Finally narrowed down issue to GPU and after multiple RMA's they finally replicated the issue so I'm not having to reinstall OS. However, since the apps save/load fan profiles and the Backup does diddly I found a better way to control my fans so uninstalled Armoury.

The app is soo much better than Armoury poop. Can set curves to work depending on the source.

Incase you and OP are interested
Fan Controller software
DL link
https://github.com/rem0o/fancontrol.releases

Video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDPKVKBMQU8

JBBlack
Level 8
Hey man, appreciate the reply,

I did flip through the Amory Crate (and other software sections) of the forum, but just skimming through is almost depressing, I mean blue screening windows, throttling the CPU, unable to get the app to work, OR be able to uninstall it to the point of having to reinstall windows??

Yikes....lol Those are some major issues.....

I would probably only use it like you, as right now I don't even see a need for overclocking, and if I do I will most likely do it from BIOS, BUT at the same time, I wouldn't want AC interfering if I did.

I do have a Corsair Keyboard coming tomorrow so I might install iCUE as I like a certain color blue for my keys, I wonder if that would also control the RGB's in my case/mobo?

I would just install AC and give it a try, but if it somehow didn't work or caused issues and I had to reinstall windows I would lose my mind.

I don't know, I'll do some more research tomorrow and then make a decision.
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+

JBBlack wrote:
Hey man, appreciate the reply,

I did flip through the Amory Crate (and other software sections) of the forum, but just skimming through is almost depressing, I mean blue screening windows, throttling the CPU, unable to get the app to work, OR be able to uninstall it to the point of having to reinstall windows??

Yikes....lol Those are some major issues.....

I would probably only use it like you, as right now I don't even see a need for overclocking, and if I do I will most likely do it from BIOS, BUT at the same time, I wouldn't want AC interfering if I did.

I do have a Corsair Keyboard coming tomorrow so I might install iCUE as I like a certain color blue for my keys, I wonder if that would also control the RGB's in my case/mobo?

I would just install AC and give it a try, but if it somehow didn't work or caused issues and I had to reinstall windows I would lose my mind.

I don't know, I'll do some more research tomorrow and then make a decision.

I would suggest making an image backup of your computer before installing Crate just in case. Take it for a spin and see if you can make use of it. Make sure you get the lasted Crate plugins by selecting Settings on the bottom left of the screen followed by clicking on the Update Center tab. This page doesn't have a scroll bar for me so you can't see all the components and their state. Press TAB a few times to get the focus into the Device & Component section. Then you can use your arrow keys to navigate through the list.

Good luck!