cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Windows Install - Z690 Hero

JohnAb
Level 17
Thread created to help 3DGuru with install issues...

Perhaps it will become useful for anybody else having Windows install problems as well. This is not a 'private' thread of course. All are welcome to contribute.

Please provide an update on where you are now 3DGuru and I will take a look later...
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.
14 REPLIES 14

JohnAb
Level 17
Any updates 3DGuru - how are you getting on?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Hi friend, I thought it best to postpone the "formatting for work" and am still in testing.

I installed Fan Control to better control the fans, I'm using the plugin for it called FanControl CorsairLink v1.0.0-beta.6, it can read the 4 fans of this cabinet by Commander, but it turns off the RGBs of the fans when started. It works very well, as I can connect the GPU and CPU curves with these 4 fans from the Corsair cabinet, but giving up the RBGs (to know, I only use a solid color in 30% internally recorded in Commander to be able to see the fans rotating). Still thinking here if I remove the Commander and connect these 4 fans directly to the motherboard and the same do with the RGB cables, if the Armory Crate "would take over" these fans and RGBs, have you tested this, what do you think?

Another thing that made me worried, was running the Cinebench R23 test, the temperatures on the Ryujin II 360 display show 88°C, but the HWiNFO64 shows up to 100°C, have you done this test on your rig? I am very curious to know, if you can test or tell me if it is to worry about at the time I will be using it to render 3D with the CPU with the programs I use or not? I read all kinds of comments, from people who tested several AIOs, all having temperatures like this with this test, others lower power in the BIOS, even the most radical that use "Thermalright CPU Contact Frame Anti-Bending", and others say "it is only a few cores, and this HWiNFO64 goes crazy", summary, I don't even know what to think, I only know that I will use it for rendering yes, in normal use I have the processor at 35°C. ... if I fry rendering, the conversation will be between lawyers with Intel and that was it... yes, I am tense about it! :cool:

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
It depends on what sensor you're looking at In HWInfo. Cinebench is a high current workload and it is not uncommon to reach over 90c on the package. You can assign a temperature threshold from the AI Tweaker menu to regulate frequency based on package temperature.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JohnAb
Level 17
Hi 3DGuru. As far as the fans are concerned, I think you just have try some different software and see what works best. I have a Corsair cooler and their software works great - for speed and fancy RGB effects. Mind you, the RGB excitement wears off pretty quickly to be honest lol. I like Armoury Crate, but it only sees fans that are connected to the motherboard on my setup, which are just two small PCH cooling fans that I added and they don't have RGB anyway. I mostly like Armoury Crate because I can see the drivers at a glance (and to control those 2 small motherboard fans).

Re: the cooling I agree with Silent Scone, that's a good idea. Again, I don't use AI Tweaker and I've never experimented with it to regulate the CPU temperature, but it sounds like a very good way to do it.

I don't know why HWInfo and your Ryujin cooler would show different temperatures - I would have thought they would both pick up the same sensor, so I can imagine that your cooler is using it's own built in sensor then, but I don't know, that's just a guess. Usually, it's the 'CPU Package' temperature that is used by most software.

If I run Cinebench, then I get the same temperatures in Corsair iCue, HWInfo and OCCT software. They all give steady readings of about 85C at the start (reached in a few seconds) and if I leave the test running they gradually climb close to 90C. I think that I would trust HWInfo, as that will certainly be reading the CPU temperature directly from the CPU package itself. You can get rapid temperature spikes if the load on the CPU is varying. It takes a while for equilibrium to be reached under steady conditions because the heat has to be transferred from the die to the CPU lid, then the cooler and the water circuit. The die temperature can change very rapidly within all of that 'wrapping'. The cooler efficiency will make a big difference overall and so will ambient temperature.

It sounds to me like everything is going well so far. While we are taking about temperature, if you want to limit your GPU temperature (or the power draw) then I'd say use MSI Afterburner, it works like a dream. I limit my GPU to 65C and I get great performance, even during 4K gaming. Be careful when you download it, there is a fake Afterburner site.

This is the real one: https://www.msi.com/Landing/afterburner/graphics-cards

JohnAb
Level 17
One more suggestion, as soon as you get an install you are happy with, with all drivers etc, start keeping images of your OS drive so you can restore the image if anything goes wrong. It will save a huge amount of time, rather than starting again. There is lots of free software that will do that for you. One of my favourites is Macrium Reflect (the free version). Just save the image on a drive which is not the one you want to restore. It's fast and pretty easy to use. It even does the backup without having to exit Windows and you can set automatic schedules. Just make sure your burn the recovery boot image of the software onto a USB stick and boot from that if a restore is needed.