cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Windows Install - Z690 Hero

JohnAb
Level 17
Thread created to help 3DGuru with install issues...

Perhaps it will become useful for anybody else having Windows install problems as well. This is not a 'private' thread of course. All are welcome to contribute.

Please provide an update on where you are now 3DGuru and I will take a look later...
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.
14 REPLIES 14

JohnAb
Level 17
In advance, here is an image showing all of the drivers on my system. It might be helpful later.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Hello, thanks for creating this topic JohnAb, in advance I leave here my thanks to you, MokiChu and Jesseinsf, who contributed a lot! I leave here a complete description, so we can evaluate what I have done wrong and right in the first two formatting and try to be more assertive in this 3rd Format I will do. Precisely, I'm here asking for guidance and checking on what I'm going to do to be more effective. I believe that so others can also learn and avoid mistakes that I am making. My hardware information is in the descriptions, all peripherals and extra Hard Drives are disconnected, I just keep the M.2 connected and then I'll plug the other Hard Drives and peripherals (take that into account too, if I'll need some more Drive for other SSD Hard Drives and a Hd SATA. Here's the whole story:

1st Formatting 10.09.2022:
I mounted every workstation, took almost a month, all very calmly and carefully, I used Thermal Paste Artic Silver, developed a technique to apply a thin and uniform layer without soiling anything and fill up to the maximum edge of the processor, the super organized cables, machine mounted, connected and everything was working perfectly, original BIOS 0803, Updated it to 1601 through the Asus EZ Flash 3 Utility, it all worked out. I got into the BIOS, in EZMode I gave a Default (F5), then changed only the X.M.P to Enabled thus leaving the Ai Overclock Tuner in XMP I. I left Armoury Create: Enabled by default. I checked fans and temperatures, all within normal range. I installed the Windows 11 Image For Workstation 21H2 Updated July 2022. Entering for the first time in Windows Armoury Create requested installation, I gave NO and installed virtually all drivers contained on the Asus page (minus vga drivers) of the model of my motherboard ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO, some Drivers installed by the Asus Pendrive that comes along with the motherboard. I installed AISuite3 (I will no longer install this), Installed Armoury Create only and did not install Aura Creator, reseted, Started Windows, installed the last Drive from NVidia Studio (I do not install games, Use the workstation for 3D work), reseted, I opened Armoury Create and nothing appears in it in Fan Xpert. I have a Rog Ryujin II 360 and thought that because it is connected on USB the Fan Xpert does not read the fans. As this first formatting was for testing and I have no experience with the new technologies, I ended up doing these installations without logic and without any care with drivers. Uninstall armoury create with the Asus tool, reset, installed again and everything the same without recognizing anything in Fan Xpert to be able to see the fans. I can only see the fans referring to the Rog Ryujin II in your menu in AC, I do not know if this is right or not, but I think we should see all the fans, including those of the Corsair cabinet, whether from Asus or not, there in the tab of Fan Xpert (Asus please?!).

Update to BIOS 2204:
I started reading about everything, trappinghere in the forum and seeing the importance of installation with logic, ordered and clean drivers and settings, MokiChu does an amazing job on this, its Drivers are clean, have only what we really need, very different from what is found on the Asus page. I inform you that from now on, I started using only mokichu drivers. For this BIOS configuration, I used the MokiChu and JohnAb technique that I call "1,2,3": 1. Update the Intel MEI Drivers (Drivers Only) - MEI Intel V2247.3.5.0 - 16.11.2022 / 2. I updated the Intel ME Consumer Firmware - ME Intel V16.1.25.2091 - 01.12.2022 / 3. I updated the BIOS to 2204, everything worked out, this is definitely the linear and correct way before updating the BIOS! Thank you friends!

MY SERIOUS MISTAKE:
Everything was fine, but hence the inexperience, curiosity and thinking I could do something better in the settings, I read the contents of MokiCh in the posts of Intel Chipset/MEI/SATA/VMD and thought it would be better to change the VMD setup settings from Enabled/Disabled/Disabled to Enabled/Disabled/ Enabled, and so, switching to RAID mode (even if not using), this caused Intel Rapid Storage Tecnhnology to switch from OFF to ON on the EzMode screen. I activateed GNA and also ReSize BAR. I saved, reseted and entered Windows, all right, re-checked again and looked at vmd setup settings and saw something different from what I had left, went from Enabled/Disabled/ Enabled to Enabled/Enabled/Enabled (so far I didn't understand how the BIOS single-case changed the MAP PCIE Storage Under VMD from Disabled to Enabled), but that's okay Everything was working... so after talking to JohnAb, I thought it best to go back to the settings I had before, since I would not use RAID and did not see anything that could be better, even not, so I made the SERIOUS ERROR, change the VMD Setup back to Enabled/Disabled/Disabled and Intel Rapid Storage Tecnhnology changed from ON to OFF, I reseted and saw for the first time in my life to an ugly blue screen with the message "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" called "blue screen of death (BSoD)" = I was an idiot to "fix a problem That I did not have", that this serve as an example, thinking of finding it difficult for someone to do this.... worse is that I tried to return the VMD settings to RAID again, and of course it continued equal... yes they can laugh... this all leads me to another formatting.

2nd Formatting 12.01.2022:
I then decided to make a second formatting more aligned and consistent with all Drivers, updated and downloaded from master MokiChu, I have a folder organized with all of them, always update the and all are enumerated with an order of priority of installation, today I have from 01A to 14A, as I learn what is need to install before or after, if they have fixes in that order or see if there is any Drive missing for my setup, can correct this order, add or remove Drivers. The BIOS is in 2204, I gave a Default (F5) in EZ Mode the X.M.P in Enabled, Ai Overclock Tuner in XMP I, ReSize BAR ON, GNA Device Enabled, VMD Setup in Enabled/Disabled/Disabled (default), Armoury Create Enabled (default). I made another installation PENDRIVE with the system image using Rufus V3.21 with nothing marked in your installation customization settings, I used updated windows pro image for workstation version 22H2 Updated Dec 2022. I formatted the partitions, my M.2 is partitioned in 2 parts, the first for the System is with 300GB, I left connected the internet cable all the time and the installation stick too, I have connected only keyboard and wireless mouse, I joined with the activation key, Windows following the installation, resetor then pediu the basic settings of country, keyboard, checkor updates for a few seconds, then it asks for device name, after that reset again, enters and asks connection to microsoft account, filled out, and it then provides options to configure as new device or restore, I chose Configure New Device, it asks to create a PIN with name and password, I did this, then follows a series of location questions, information collection permissions, most set as no or ignore, I hate this intrusion from Microsoft. After all this, entered the screen to enter the PIN and entered normal. Armoury Create asked to install and I gave ok, here I already had the 1st ERROR 102, reseted the computer due to this and at that moment I saw Windows updating automatically, I must avoid this in the next formatting, removing the cable before putting the PIN? Andno one he reset, then I used that technique of resetting Armoury Create which consists of going in the AC settings, clicking with the BDM, going on reset, repair and restore, then i reset again, i opened Armoury Create and it installed perfectly (how can this AC act like this Asus?) , in the Aura Background settings I gave Ignore, I entered with my ROG account, then reset again, and when entering Windows, I was first install ing drive: Intel Chipset Drivers V10.1.19222.8341 - 18.08.2022 and Had the 2nd ERROR gave the ERROR "MSI1536.tmp not a valid Win32 application" (what a sadness , already at the beginning of all), I tried with drive from the Asus page also the same error. Not to format again at that beginning, I followed the other drivers to see if they installed, and each of them reset automatically or manually, and all of the list I have were installed normally, finally tried again the first of the list had given error Intel Chipset Drivers V10.1.19222.8341 and he settled in normally. I also installed the latest Drivers of NVidia and everything was "stable", but I do not trust the system so with initial errors so, because I use software that require a lot of quality and integrity ofthe system. MokiChu and Jesseinsf gave me some tips, among them the order of some initial Drivers, the first of my list should be installed judiciously in order as indicated MokiChu, then redid my thoughts and order of execution of drivers for the next 3rd Format. Still in this installation, Instalei the drivers of NVidia also and soon after I reseted, armoury create did not appear the tab of RTX and fan Xpert the screen in preto no fan, yes my friends, no Fan Xpert had appeared the fans of CPU Fan, Chassis from 1 toté 4, AIO Pump and W_PUMP+ I had never seen this screen before, until I saved a print to prove that it exists, after installing this Drive from NVidia (NVidia Drivers - 528.02 Studio), RTX and Fan X pert are gone (is it serious that this AC works properly for someone?) .... i reseted again and reappeared the tab of RTX but in the tab dthe Fan Xpert the screen is black without anything fans, that shames this, I'm very tired. I gave a few days to stay away from all this, I went back to focus on my work with my old machine that I set up 10 years ago from Asus and that to this day everything works 100% always updating the operating systems, today I use Windows 10 Pro on it, and look at this, I use the same Corsair H55, which in the manual indicates service life of 5 years, it is 10 years, Use the same thermal paste, never changed from Artic Silver, CPU is in office work from 21 °C to 30 °C, working with 3D is no more than 50 °C, all fans trimm in AI Suite 3, a wonder, work and study of 12, 15 to 18 hours a day 7/7 or 6/7 days a week, some nights I leave this computer rendering... and yes Asus, you were better!

LET'S MOVE ON:
So I want to format again and I have this ordered list of Drivers with tips from MokiChu and I still have some doubts, I would like you to do a review of these Drivers, seeif the order is correct or if it needs to be changed, or if you need the inclusion of some more Drive or the withdrawal of some, for me to try again a clean formatting, ordered and who knows functional this time. Come on, let's go.

01) The BIOS is in 2204, I gave a Default (F5) in EZ Mode, the X.M.P in Enabled, Ai Overclock Tuner in XMP I, ReSize BAR ON, GNA Device Enabled, VMD Setup in Enabled/Disabled/Disabled (default), Armoury Create: Disabled (MokiChu indicated to install the AC last this time, following this new order of Drivers + NVidia Drivers - 528.02 Studio),... I think the same, I want to try to avoid the initial error 102 and also try to make Armoury Create not get lost after installing drivers like NVidia, according friends? Shall we test it like this? Now herethinking, that if even so, when I install a new NVidia drive in about 60 days, if Armoury Create will be okay? ... an important note here here: I tested the new GPU Tweak III V1.5.7.1 01/04/2023 and I really liked it to take care of the rtx fans and temperatures, works light and firm! So we will include it in this installation and ficaria so then: Drivers from the list below + NVidia Drivers + GPU Tweak III and lastly Armoury Create without AURA Creator, this, according friends?

2) Follow thedrivers list (all drivers listed below are from MokiChu), in order of installation and some questions, remember to evaluate if it is in the correct order, if I have to change the order, if there is any Drive missing or if I have to remove some Drive. In this initial order, the first 4 was indicated by MokiChu, it was like this:

BIOS in 2204
BIOS ME FW is in vertion 16.1.25.2091

01A Intel ME Consumer Firmware - ME Intel V16.1.25.2091 - 01.12.2022
Q: No longer need to install again in Windows this Drive correct? Is he in the BIOS enough? Or need to install again to have some connection to Windows and BIOS?

02A Intel Chipset Drivers V10.1.19222.8341 - 18.08.2022
Q: With andste I had that error MSI1536.tmp but then installed, (has anyone here ever had this error or know how to say what may have caused?) ... or already try to install this "5351" more current below:

02A Intel Chipset Drivers V10.1.19284.8351 - 20.10.2022
Q: Install this? Is it correct for my i9-12900K processor this? I liked the new page "Intel Chipset/MEI/VMD (6xx/7xx)" MokiChu, congratulations! I have just seen now that on the page of mb Z690 asus removed this Drive, yesterday was there and today no more, then use the "8341" or wait until the weekend a new Drive?

03A Intel Serial IO Drivers (Drivers Only) V30.100.2237.26 - 06.09.2022
04A Intel GNA Drivers (Drivers Only) V3.0.0.1457 - 26.11.2021
05A Intel MEI Drivers (Drivers Only) - MEI Intel V2247.3.5.0 - 16.11.2022
06A Intel VMD Drivers (Drivers Only) V19.5.1.1040 - 25.08.2022
07A Intel Thunderbolt Drivers (Drivers Only) V1.41.1340.0 - 14.09.2022
08A Intel Ethernet Drivers (Drivers Only) 1225-1226 V2.1.2.3 - 21.09.2022
09A Intel WiFi Drivers (Drivers Only) V22.200.0.5 - 10.01.2023
10A Intel Bluetooth Drivers (Drivers Only) V22.200.0.2 - 15.12.2022
11A Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD ASUS ROG SS3-DTS) V6.3.9600.2347 - 03.11.2022
12A NVidia Drivers - 528.02 Studio
13A GPU Tweak III V1.5.7.1 / What a great light, functional and solid program, ASUS make Armoury Crate be this please!
14A Armoury Crate & Aura Creator Installer V3.2.3.0 16.08.2022 / Questions:

- On the initial screen of the AC installation, can I choose only the first option " Install armoury Crate" this? Don't need to choose the second Option Armoury Crate + AURA Creator, correct? I want my system as clean as possible, the other times I installed so too, should this not be the reason that is causing these instabilities, especially with the correct Fan Xpert?
- Can I continue to "Ignore" on Light up the Aura Background Pattern, correct?
- Sign in, log in to the Asus account session, correct?
- What settings to do on Rog Ryujin II on fans? Currently what I did in Fan Control was click on "Auto Adjustment" on the top right button and nothing else, I did not click on those preset modules and the temperatures look good, with CPU 35°, GPU 40°, MB 29°, Chipset 60°, VRM 44°, GPU Mem 46.5° DRAM0 38.5°, DRAM1 35.75°, keep this in these correct settings?
- In Rog Ryujin II, I can set the information to appear on the screen inside the cabinet as temperatures and other information, correct? Doesn't that spoil Armoury Crate? Yes, you can laugh friends, but it seems that happened in these two formatting and installations, if you even touch lightly in the AC, it gets lost all, it seems that it offends the creature! Yes, I hope this time, install it last works!

3) Don't need to install any correct Intel VGA drives? Given that I use an RTX card and the BIOS is in "Default" in this parameter, I think the BIOS always gives preference to rtx, so vga drivers are not necessary, correct? If by chance (God forbid) the RTX fails what happens if I don't have Intel VGA Drivers installed?

Friends of the forum, I know that it is enough to read and analyze, but having all reported, I believe that besides me, we will be helping so many others who read but do not write here and we will be grouped a lot of knowledge into a single topic, which serves as a "linear manual", guidingso new users who assemble their machines, invest high values and I think it is quite valid all this, read what should not be done and what should be done correctly.... my special thanks again to this great guy: MokiChu (yes must be the son of the owner of Asus, because he understands more than them), also to this great friend JohnAb who does not care effort to help everyone, has a fantastic form of communication and also Jesseinsf, I do not know if it is in this forum, helpful guy and user of mounted machines for work, first thing I learned from it was to disconnect everything from your machine in the initial formatting and installations and then gradually plugging and configuring, is this tip also for others who are starting to assemble and configure their machines. Thank you all, feel the urge to write in, curse, create more doubts, contribute, expose thoughts and experiences, let's think, learn and the most important thing is to go evolve rmos together... yes, you can also laugh at my I've done, clearly I'm getting old, I'm already putting on changed socks and some inverted clothes lol. 🙂

Hi 3DGuru,

I agree, it's a good idea to disconnect your extra drives and just use the one that you will install Windows onto. Add the others later when everything is working nicely. This isn't really necessary, but it helps to avoid Windows getting confused.

1st Formatting
------------
There is another thread about your cooler and fan control. I can't remember the answer right now, but as long as they are spinning, we can worry about that later. I don't use AI suite either. I have found Armoury Crate useful myself...

Update BIOS 2204
---------------
OK, good, so no comments here

Serious Mistake
-------------
Yes, leave those settings on BIOS defaults because you are not using RAID. i.e. Enabled/Disabled/Disabled. Anyway, no harm done...

2nd Formatting
--------------
In summary, I would do things a little differently. I have always left the internet connected during the Windows install and allowed Armoury Crate to install and install the drivers it wants. Then I allow Windows to install all of the updates that it wants. Once everything is stable, then I would normally start to install all of the other drivers you have carefully collected. Again, let's worry about the fans later (as long as they are spinning). You can disconnect the internet during the Windows install, but you have to take some extra steps to get around the Microsoft registration process. It's also fine to do it 'disconnected', but I think it makes it more complicated for now.

Let's Move On
-------------
Your plan looks good to me. I normally allow Armoury Crate to install when the prompt appears, but otherwise I think the drivers order you suggest is logical and should work fine. Yes, you have the ME firmware installed now, so no need to install that again, but of course you will still need the Windows ME drivers to be installed (05A) on your list.

So yes, allow Armoury Crate to install when it wants to. (13A) Personally I don't like GPU Tweak III - I think MSI Afterburner looks better and works better.

3) Correct, no need to install the VGA drivers. If you do, Microsoft will just start installing even more software. You have a GPU, so not necessary, unless you are using the motherboard graphics.

I agree with everything else that you have written (I think, lol) so give it a try. If anything goes wrong, you can always do it again.

To be honest, I think it is good to follow your plan, but personally I would do it very slightly differently as follows:

1) Leave the internet connected (I know MoKiChU said to disconnect and that is good as well, but in my opinion it adds some extra steps). I think MoKiChU wants you to disconnect the internet at the point where you are forced to enter your Microsoft account (during the early part of the Windows install). If you are going to use that account anyway, I think it's less complicated to leave it connected.
2) Allow Armoury Crate and Windows install the drivers as they want
3) Once Windows has finished all updates (probably a few restarts later) then start installing the drivers you have collected from MokiChU and the support pages

There are many ways to install Windows and your plan is as good as any. Please report back after your next attempt. If it all works, then your plan creates a good model for others to follow 🙂

Good luck...

Again - as long as your fans are spinning don't worry, we'll come back to fan control later. There is another thread on your cooler and fans, but I don't have time to find it now...

akgis_
Level 10
Hello great thread, also have a hero Z690

I formated the system 3 times in Windows11 reasons, 1st was a mess with drivers I came from Z170 with a 6700K which I had formated just twice and no issues, Z690 had alot of driver components and I have OCD with Unknow devices in device manager but getting better. 2nd time all went with the plan, 3rd I reinstalled because of windows 11 22H2 I dont like feature updates on top of old Windows, yes OCD again 🙂

I also have another NVME with windows bootmanager with Windows10, cause I tended to blame windows11 for game performance 🙂 and then I now can try on Windows10 but its always same **** and ofc its always shader stutter the issue not the OS itself.

Some advice I found in my formats aswell
* Ventoy is better than Rufus for your boot USB, in ventoy after you follow how to create the USB drive you then can use several lose ISO files in the drive and at boot it will ask you to select one, great for testing and no need to redo the USB everytime you have a new ISO file to install, plays well with secure boot and you can even use live OS, those that run in memory

* I see that you install all device drivers, do you really use Ethernet/Wifi and Bluetooth? If you dont disable them in bios its 1 less driver and 1 less device for windows, at the moment I use Wifi becuase I dont have my ethernet cable installed yet so I disabled Ethernet, I also dont use Bluetooth in the desktop so I disabled that aswell. Intel serial IO you can skip that aswell its used for GPIO most for prototype testing and in single board computers, a Desktop wont need that, there will be a unknow device but you can disable it. The z690 hero has 6 sata ports, but intel chipset only provides 4 the others are provided from a marvel controler, if you dont use more than 4 sata devices you can disable the Marvel controler, dont remenber where it is but search for it in the bios, remenber to plug your sata on ports 1though4.

* You can bypass the microsoft account at install, I use a MS account actualy but I like to create the local account first and then associate with the Microsoft one, in my first install my account name was the first 4 letters of my email associated in the MS so my c:\users\abcd didnt made sence for me https://www.ghacks.net/2022/05/13/how-to-bypass-the-microsoft-account-requirement-during-windows-set...

My order of install devices are Intel chipset>MEI>devices you use(wifi/ethernet/bt)>Realtek usb audio>Nvidia drivers

JohnAb
Level 17
akgis_* - Yes, I also find Ventoy to be excellent. So easy to use. I have a few rescue OS tools on there, plus some versions of Linux and the Macrium rescue ISO in case I need to restore Windows because I've done something silly - MUCH better than reinstalling Windows, 10 mins vs. several hours to get all the software and drivers back on. I keep a few backups so I can always go back to a good version of my Windows install if I need to. I also keep a log if I make changes or install new software - much easier to troubleshoot.

If you have unknown devices, that might be related to the RAID drivers if you have not installed those? They are good to install (even if you don't use RAID) and that might fix your issue. They are under 'SATA' on the support pages "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver V19.5.0.1037 for Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11 64-bit.(WHQL)"

Thanks JohnAb_

I install the VMD drivers, the unknow device is now from Serial IO to intereact with GPIO which after investigation is for single board computers like Arduino /Raspeberry to prototype. So I dont install those drivers.

JohnAb
Level 17
Oh, OK. I would have thought you would be alright to install the Serial IO drivers from the 690 support page without any problems. I did that, although I'm on version 30.100.2221.20 right now, which I think came from Intel's Driver Driver and Support Assistant software. It's free to download and use and another way to check for any supported updates. I have not had any unrecognised devices at all, not since I installed the Support Pages 'Rapid Storage Technology/VMD' drivers after my last Windows install.

Hey everyone, thanks a lot for all the info, I'll look into all of that for this new install, will get back to you as soon as everything is OK, thanks a lot!

JohnAb
Level 17
I think you're going to be all good 3DGuru - don't overthink it. It's supposed to be easy (at least in theory, lol)