cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new pc build with rog strix z790-e wifi, hardware issue

GranzymeB
Level 8

First time posting here - I have an issue with a new PC build, hoped someone might have an idea on troubleshooting.
ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI
G.skill Trident Z5 neo DDR5 6000 32x2 CL30-40-40-96 1.40v (in A2/B2)
Intel i7 13700k
Lian Li GA trinity SL-INF 240
Fractal North CASE
Corsair RM850e psu
Samsung 990 Pro PCIe NvMe M.2 SSD
Crucial P3 Plus NVMe M.2 SSD (secondary ssd)

Upon initial boot, POST completed, and gave a warning about no CPU FAN detected. In Bios, all components detected (cpu w/ no issues, two ssd drives). Disabled the CPU FAN warning since I was not using the motherboard CPU FAN header w/ the Lian Li hub.
Restarted and then booted Win11 from USB for an install.
During the windows install to my primary SSD, the system restarted spontaneously.
Upon restart, I have the following recurring pattern:
Start, q-led advances from 00 to 7F with red cpu indicator lit and then system restarts (this process lasts 1 second). Repeat. Have to turn off power supply to stop the cycle.
What is strange to me is that the system was initially stable, I was able to work within bios, then boot from a USB and start a windows installation, and now unable to make it through post. Stability may have been the issue as it randomly restarted during the windows installation.
Cleared CMOS, no change.
Any thoughts on where to start with trouble shooting?
Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GranzymeB
Level 8

Thanks to all for providing suggestions - after a few restarts i noticed the timing of the restart was changing by a fraction of a second and an audible click in my PSU when the system restarted.  Since it was the most practical problem to test, i used an old PSU from an old build, to power the new setup.  It worked! I replaced the Corsair with an EVGA G7 850 and completed the system build without any further issues.  Posting this here in case anyone else encounters this problem, the PSU was the culprit and non-functional out of the box, and the symptom was a power cycling during the POST.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JohnAb
Level 17

You did the right thing with the BIOS, turning off the CPU fan warning. A CPU error can occur if there is dust under the CPU or if the cooler has been overtightened. Just snug it down evenly. Might be worth inspecting carefully,  remounting it and see if that helps. Some people have solved such problems with a CPU pressure plate which spreads out the force better. I suspect your issue might be related to the CPU mounting. Of course, it could be a faulty CPU or motherboard, but more likely to be uneven mounting pressure or dirt/debris I think.  

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Thanks, removed the cpu cooler and it does look like the thermal paste was uneven - less on the left half of the cpu suggesting uneven pressure.  I removed the cpu and inspected - no dust, etc... no damage to pins / LGA1700.  Replaced with hand tightened  AIO cooler mounting equally on all sides.  unfortunately, same issue, exits post after 1 second with red light flashing on and the q-led showing 7F before the restart cycle.  not much out there on the web on this specific scenario, i suspect either the cpu or the mb has a hardware defect, but welcome all thoughts!  what is strange to me is that it did operate for a few minutes before this was encountered...

Faulty motherboards and/or CPUs are not unheard of, although not common. Might be best to contact support at this stage and see what they say. You could also try a pressure plate - they aren't very expensive and it might help. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else to suggest, other than checking where the cooler posts are mounted and make sure none of the motherboard traces are damaged. 

Oh, there is one simple thing, shut down, turn off the PSU power and also remove the battery.  Leave for a few minutes, reinsert the battery, do another BIOS reset and see if that helps.  

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Just to be sure I flashed the latest BIOS and also performed the cmos clear and battery removal. Alas, no change.  I'll start a ticket with asus and see what they recommend...  thanks for all the suggestions!

weaselciuy
Level 9

After doing a full bios reset with battery off and still the same issue, it might be the DDR sticks or your CPU memory controller at fault, try with the other 2 DDR slots B1/b2, if NO then try with 1 stick (each). Very improbable that both ddrs are bad, so using only one each would eliminate them as at fault. Would be nice if you had other stick/cpu to test it out as well.

If ram swaps as above did not do anything, probably your CPUs mem controller is kaput. I would look into that as well.

code 07 indicates issues with memory sticks not passing initial post trials. Either the sticks are bad (but you have 2), the mobo slots are bad (but you have 4) or the CPU controller is bad. Eliminate these 2 of these 3 possibilities with further testing by swapping the RAM sticks solo/dual in other slots.

----------------------

Old School PC Troubleshooter, 386 Cyrix time

GranzymeB
Level 8

Thanks to all for providing suggestions - after a few restarts i noticed the timing of the restart was changing by a fraction of a second and an audible click in my PSU when the system restarted.  Since it was the most practical problem to test, i used an old PSU from an old build, to power the new setup.  It worked! I replaced the Corsair with an EVGA G7 850 and completed the system build without any further issues.  Posting this here in case anyone else encounters this problem, the PSU was the culprit and non-functional out of the box, and the symptom was a power cycling during the POST.

Great job, well observed regarding the clicking sound 👍 and finding a faulty PSU!