cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build won't post to BIOS with 4k monitor, Black Screen

jonts
Level 7
Z690 Plus WIFI D4 with MSI 3080 GPU. Would not post to BIOS first time round.
I had to de-rate the monitor from HDMI 2.1 to HDMI 1.4 to get it to post. After installing the NVIDIA drivers, I switched back to HDMI 2.1 and all was fine.

Teething troubles with new stuff.
13 REPLIES 13

I would like to share my experience to try to bring light at the end of the tunnel.

I experienced such a problem as soon as I bought my RTX3090 ( 1 monitor 4k ASUS-DP1.4 + 1 monitor generic-HDMI).

It may be stupid but I have a habit of turning off the PSU button and the 4k monitor (DP) button as soon as the PC turns off by Win11.

Whenever I turn on the PC again I turn on monitor 1 by the button, then the PSU button and finally the PC. Never had a problem again.

Sometimes when I was testing the BIOS I had problems - which I caused myself - that forced the motherboard to restart learning the memories.......at that moment I saw that the main monitor 1 (DP1.4) was not giving a signal . At these times, turning the monitor off/on by the physical button starts to show video again.

hdtvnut
Level 7
Updated to 516.94, evga 3080ti ftw3, Acer 4K hdmi. Annoying.

palindrom
Level 7
jonts wrote:
Z690 Plus WIFI D4 with MSI 3080 GPU. Would not post to BIOS first time round.
I had to de-rate the monitor from HDMI 2.1 to HDMI 1.4 to get it to post. After installing the NVIDIA drivers, I switched back to HDMI 2.1 and all was fine.

Teething troubles with new stuff.

Hi,
how did you de-rate HDMI down to 1.4?

I have to do similar thing with HDMI link from PRIME Z690-P to my 3DTV as most likely, HDMI 2.* is supported via LSPCON, which strips away 3D capabilities of my iGPU.

Maratonista
Level 7

Well, well, well. Very interesting...

And here I was, thinking it could be anything but the GPU itself!

Looks like this is not an isolated incident. I am also unable to visit the BIOS anymore, with a 4K monitor an the RTX 3060.

This is my current setup:

CPU i5 11400
CPU cooler: NOCTUA, NH-U12S, chromax.black
Motherboard: MSI Z590-A Pro
Video card: RTX 3060
RAM: 2 slots, 16 GB each (#2 and #4), Vengeance CMK16GX4M2D3000C16
PSU: Corsair 650W, 80 Plus Gold, Semi Modular, TX650M
CASE: Lancool 216 (Lian Li)
Monitor: LCD Acer XV280K-B (4K native)
Main SSD where Windows 11 is installed: WD_BLACK SN850X (2 TB NVME)
2nd SSD: Samsung 870 EVO, 4 TB
Plugged into the USB-C: External Blu-ray burner, ASUS SBW-06D5H-U

Everything with the latest version: SSDs, BIOS from the MB, GeForce drivers (which NVIDIA told me to remove completely and reinstall, didn't help)... The PC showed the BIOS again after I plugged into a 1080p TV... and it can't be the OS fault, because I received 2 new SSDs formatted, removed all partitions, and had to use the TV to install Windows 11 from my pendrive.

Any suggestions? I am also using the HDMI cable...